October 30th, 2010

High school football game goes 12 overtimes

In a prep football game sure to go down in history, two Texas high school teams both went four score and then some Friday night.

In the end, the Fightin’ Indians of Jacksonville High School emerged victorious over the Nacogdoches Golden Dragons,  84-81.

Scheduled for a 7:30 p.m. start, the District 14-4A game went 12 overtimes and didn’t end until 12:58 a.m. Saturday, according to CNN affiliate KLTV.

The 12 overtimes and nearly six hours of play may be a national prep school record. According to the National High School Record Book, two football games have reached nine overtimes.

Jacksonville and Nacogdoches scored  a combined 165 points, well short of the national record, but only 21 points behind the Texas record. In 1930, Spur High School whipped Lorenzo 186-0.

The teams combined for 60 first downs and more than 1,000 yards, according to the Daily Sentinel, the Nacogdoches newspaper.

Jacksonville (7-2, 5-1)  led 28-14 at halftime, but Nacogdoches (3-6, 2-4) roared back to tie the score by the end of regulation, the Daily Sentinel reported.

In overtime, one team proceeded to score after the other. Jacksonville then Nacogdoches. Then 'Doches. Then J-ville. Back and forth.

Call it the Texas see-saw massacre.

Both teams were fighting for a playoff berth. Jacksonville only needed a win to qualify. Nacogdoches needed a victory by eight points, which complicated things on the Dragons’ end.

‘Doches could have won the game several times after scoring touchdowns, according to KLTV, but lacking the needed 8-point margin of victory, the Dragons kept throwing the ball out of the back of the end zone, extending the game.

Finally, perhaps thankfully, in the 12th overtime, the Dragons were closing in for another score inside the opponents’ 10-yard-line but lost possession on a fumble.

Jacksonville moved the ball down the field and, as seen on YouTube, the Indians' Rodrigo Carreon kicked a 19-yard field goal for the win.

The loss eliminated Nacogdoches from playoff contention.

Jacksonville will face John Tyler next week for the district title, according to KTRE.

Post by:
Filed under: Football • Texas
  1. Doctor Love

WOW!!!! Best story I've read on CNN all year!!!!! It just blows my mind!!!!! Now this is news people!!!!

October 30, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • CWBarrett

Nobody held a gun to your head when you saw the story on the front page, you didn't have to click.

October 30, 2010 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • veljo1

This must be American "football", not the real football (like have a ball use a foot...)

October 30, 2010 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • mike d

of course its American football you dumb euro

October 30, 2010 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Doctor Love

@CWBarret.... Did you read what I said you idiot!!???? Why would anyone have to hold a gun to my head??? 12 overtimes a 5 1/2 hour battle on the field. Thoughs kids will take that memory to their graves! So one more time you butt wipe... WOW the best story I've seen on Cnn!!!!!!

October 30, 2010 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • john

That's Texas football.. Glad no one died from exhaustion.

October 30, 2010 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • just a student on the prairie

This is so amazing to me. Having played high school football myself, the longest game I ever had was four overtimes. Great job kids

October 31, 2010 at 5:59 am | Report abuse |
    • MSL58

Texas? They're lucky they weren't executed!

October 31, 2010 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
    • haileymon

Too bad Texas can't put this much effort in actually educating their children.

October 31, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • layesis

@haileymon: Wow, you have no idea of what you are talking about.. nice.

November 1, 2010 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |

they lost haha

October 30, 2010 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • popi

haha they lost

October 31, 2010 at 5:34 am | Report abuse |
  4. pnuthead

Why? Who cares? It's high school football....Can't get too excited about a bunch of teenagers playing football. BORING!!

October 30, 2010 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • born&raisedinTX

you're an idiot. high school football is just as good, if not better, than the nfl. These kids work their butts off and put their hearts in the game. unlike nfl, players that get paid millions whether they win or lose. Congratulations to both teams for a great game.

October 31, 2010 at 1:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Manti

You obviously don't live in Texas. High school football is big here. Texas prides it's self on this sport. For a primer you might want to watch some Friday Night Lights.

October 31, 2010 at 2:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

I've watched more high school and college football games that make the NFL a snoozefest.
      I still remember a pro football player responding to criticism that he didn't make an extra effort in a play and he replied I make xx million a year and I make nothing if I'm hurt. Do you think I'm going to risk that money getting hurt?
      Whereas the high school and college games, they play all out.
      So, keep your ho ball. I'll stick with the more interesting games.

October 31, 2010 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
    • morgans

You must have been cut from the team for making that comment.

October 31, 2010 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Texasfootballfan4life

You can tell you don't live in Texas. go check out 5atexasfootball.com – you will see what high school football means to many, many of us Texans – adults and kids. It is one of our proudest traditions and we are very protective of it. Those boys work hard as do the kids on the drill teams and in the bands and cheering on the sideline. It is a quasi -religion and we like it that way. I have spent 48 of my 50 years under the Friday Night Lights cheering on generations of kids on those fields. Congrats to J'Ville and good luck in the P.O's.

October 31, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • andy

you are an idiot. us teenage boys who play football actually like or love to watch or play the great sport like these two teams showed. if you don't believe me go ask every teenage boy you know that plays or had played football and see what he says.

November 1, 2010 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
  5. joe

I think this pretty cool. For all you guys saying who cares...well, obviously you do. You clicked on the article, read it, then commented on it!

Maybe you guys should think about getting lives?

October 30, 2010 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ed

You tell 'em Joe!!! LOL They just want to B...h about something.

October 30, 2010 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • andy

I totally agree with you joe. maybe those people who say that were too scared to play football or were too scared to try out for their high school teams

November 1, 2010 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
  6. Luniz

Love to hear the hater complain about how this is not news. These kids did more with their life in that one night then you ever have or will... Keep hating haters.

October 30, 2010 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yahoo

Learn how to write well enough to post simple sentences. Thank you. Now go back to your football game and history in the making.

October 30, 2010 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Kevin Gunderman

"New" does not have to be earth shattering. It just has to be unusual or of interest to readers. It's a gatekeeping process. On a more hectic day, it may not have made the cut. I am a journalist (former) with 15 years experience, so I know whereof I speak. Anyway, I thought it was a nice little "light' distraction of a story.

October 30, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Aaron

What a great story. These kids will now have something to tell their grandkids about.

October 30, 2010 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  9. adibese

I found the story interesting. Don't know why the haters came out of the woodwork for this.

October 30, 2010 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  10. steeve-o

High school football needs to rethink their overtime rules. The only miracle here is that there weren't a dozen injuries, probably because nobody seemed to be playing defense, as indicated by those scores.

October 30, 2010 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Doug

While I don't agree with the part of your statement that no one was playing defense, I DO think that tthe OT rules should be looked at. This was WAY too long and the risk of injury too great.

October 31, 2010 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
    • paul

It could have been worse. I was reading a different article on this same game and it mention that this was not the most points scored in a hs football game in texas. The record was 186-0 from a game in 1930, now that is no defense.

November 2, 2010 at 4:58 am | Report abuse |
  11. Klatu Berata Nicto

AMAZING. These kids must have REALLY wanted that win. I'd be willing to bet there's some NFL hopefuls in there somewhere. Too bad pro football isn't as entertaining. Makes me wanna watch prep more often. Those kids play for the love of the game, not for 6 figure contracts. Makes all the difference.

October 30, 2010 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • born&raisedinTX

well said.

October 31, 2010 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |
    • guttmann

7-Figure Salaries*

October 31, 2010 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Texasfootballfan4life

Absolutely they play for the love of the game. You should see their eyes light up when they come off the field and we are all standing up and cheering for them for a good drive. They are still just kids and you see such a love of what they are doing. How can you possibly find something bad in that? At least they aren't out gang-banging or getting into trouble. Texas sends many boys to the NFL too. NFL is BORING though.

October 31, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  12. j rob

Not much defense in that game it appears. Bet it was to be on the field for that though.

October 30, 2010 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Anthony Rumfield

What a great game it was! All of thise kids need to be commended. I cannot believe you people who are hating on thus story. Just because you have never done an amazing thing in your life doesn't mean you get to knock our kids who played their tails off for almost 6 hours.

October 30, 2010 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Doctor Love

I'm with you on this, if one of those kids is yours you certainly have alot to be proud of !!!!!!!! Like I said at the top of this blog.... WOW, it's the best story I've read on CNN!!!!

October 30, 2010 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  14. angela

Wow! i wish i was there to see that game..but anyways for the haters u should be glad these kids are not oout there doing drugs or killing each other an that they have some thing to look forward to in life thats what u should want all these kids to look forward too

October 30, 2010 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Stephen - NYC

I don't know the rules of high school football, so please bear with me. I guess there's no sudden death in overtime. Ok, fine. But if the Dragons needed 8 points to win, a touchdown gives 'em 6, and then they could go with a 2pt conversion. Would that not give them 8? I ask because of the statement "‘Doches could have won the game several times after scoring touchdowns, according to KLTV, but lacking the needed 8-point margin of victory, the Dragons kept throwing the ball out of the back of end zone, extending the game." So if they are winning by 6, they give the ball to the Indians and hope the Indians don't score and then they get the ball back so they try again to score (w/ a field goal I'm guessing since they would have already had a 6-pt lead and 3pt gives them 9)? Of course, they'd still try for another touchdown to increase the lead, but to me it's a lot of hoping. I'd like to know why they needed to win by 8 or more. Some sort of conference tie-breaker?

October 30, 2010 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bug

If they are leading by six and keep them from scoring then the game is over. If the rules are anything like college ball then each team gets a possession to try and score after each tie. It's not sudden death like NFL.

October 31, 2010 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Bill

What likely happened is Jacksonville scored a touchdown and missed their conversion, then the Dragons scored a touchdown on their possession, tying the game. Making the conversion eliminates them, so the deliberately fail the conversion to continue the game.

October 31, 2010 at 12:46 am | Report abuse |
    • paul

they had to win by 8 to make the playoffs. the tiebreaker for district is based on points scored so they couldn't win by anything less than 8 or they wouldn't make the playoffs. Despite losing in the end I bet they still think it was worth the try.

November 2, 2010 at 5:01 am | Report abuse |