October 30th, 2010

Insanely Sane: Humor brought everyone together

Okay, there’s no way to write this article without name dropping. To cut to the chase, I know Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, and you don’t.

I used to work for The Daily Show and the Colbert Report as the audience warm up act.  Not a bad day job.
But knowing the hosts didn’t mean I got to parade on stage at Saturday’s “Rally for Sanity and/or Fear.” I was in the audience with the thousands of fans, reporting on the events for CNN.

But the audience was where the real spectacle unfolded this weekend.
In a lot of ways, the people congregating on the Mall looked just like the people I used to perform for at "The Daily Show" and "The Colbert Report".  Black, white, Hispanic, old,  young - every race, every ethnicity, and every age group was represented in the sea of fans.

Read the complete story on CNN.com

Post by:
Filed under: Jon Stewart • Stephen Colbert
  1. Daniel

That’s a really thoughtful post. The rally seems to have been a roaring success! Read an Australian’s (outsider) view on #rally4sanity – Read it here http://danieljames.com.au/?p=1021

October 30, 2010 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

My favorite part of the rally:

October 31, 2010 at 2:39 am | Report abuse |
  2. Arrie Hammel

I think Pete Dominick should be given the Saturday spot. Actually, I would like to see Rick Sanchez and Pete Dominick together. CNN made a mistake in firing Rick and especially hiring Elliot Spitzer. Huge mistake. I vote with my remote. I don't watch it. Don Lemon is fantastic. What about Don? Certainly a different personality than Rick. Ali is too much for me. He is fine where he is. I don't want to watch him for an evening program.

October 30, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  3. me!

OH! So you mean it was EXACTLY the same mix of people as at the "Restoring Honor" rally! Or, the original that the others have attempted to copy. Im glad it was a good event, but I wish they wouldnt portray the original as a bunch of extremist, white, racist bigots-it wasn't! It was the same mix as this one! Look for yourselves and dont take CNN or MSNBC word for it!

October 30, 2010 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • BuyMyMonkey

Ooops – some negativity. Looking just at the signs people carried at each of the rallys, clearly Stewarts was more positive. No Hitler Obama's and such.

October 31, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Lisababy

Love jon stewart and steven colbert would love to have been there they send out positive messages

October 30, 2010 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mogwi

I love that these posts have all been positive! Its a nice change from whats usually on these cnn posts. Keep it up people. No matter what side you follow, keep focusing on positive comments!

October 30, 2010 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mogwi

I love that these posts are all positive no matter what side people are on!

October 30, 2010 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  7. pw

I saw the rally on tv; it was good to see people getting along. Keep up the good work Jon and Stephen. These 24hr news cycle need to take a look how the y give the news, and stop all this political grandstanding.

October 30, 2010 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Marc

Comedians are taking over the world .... one government at a time.

October 31, 2010 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
  9. kale

Love it!

October 31, 2010 at 2:27 am | Report abuse |
  10. Stoner

John Stewart for President!!! No Really!! NeanderthOzzy for vice Prez. Just kidding about Ozzy, but not John Stewart. Really Vote Stewart!

October 31, 2010 at 3:29 am | Report abuse |
  11. Stoner

Jon Stewart for President!!! No Really!! NeanderthOzzy for vice Prez. Just kidding about Ozzy, but not Jon Stewart. Really Vote Stewart!

October 31, 2010 at 3:29 am | Report abuse |
  12. phil

Comedy used to be a tool used by those who otherwise could not speak out against their government. Now it's a tool of the government If sports are "the opium for the masses", then comedy has become pepto-bismol ™ for the cry-babies..

October 31, 2010 at 4:46 am | Report abuse |
  13. phil

Stewart is Jewish and it's against his religion to seek public office in any gentile nation. (like ours)

October 31, 2010 at 7:39 am | Report abuse |
  14. Mano

The one important lesson from this is " don't forget to laugh, especially at yourself". We often take our pettiness way too seriously. If you can't laugh at yourself, then you can watch the rest of us laugh at you.

October 31, 2010 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
  15. Lisababy

Love the positive vibes your all sending keep up the great karma your all uplifting to the spirit of our fellow bloggers who know the golden rule if you cant say something nice then dont say anything at all God bless the positive thinkers

October 31, 2010 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
    • justsayin

The Golden Rule is, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." You quoted a line from "Bambi".

October 31, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |