October 31st, 2010

Man arrested in Denver airport bomb scare

Authorities arrested a man at Denver International Airport after he said there was a bomb in his luggage, a United Airlines spokesman said.

The man was angry because he missed a connecting flight from Denver, Colorado, to Salt Lake City, Utah, on Saturday, but his luggage was still on the plane, United Airlines spokesman Rahsaan Johnson told CNN.

"He was disruptive in the gate area and made inappropriate comments," Johnson said.

At that point the plane, which was still taxiing at the airport, was brought back to the gate, and airline employees removed the man's bag from the plane, Johnson said. The flight was delayed for an hour as authorities investigated.

The man is being charged with interfering with public transportation and will be taken to the Denver jail, according to Denver Police spokesman Sonny Jackson.

Read the full CNN.com story

Post by:
Filed under: Air travel
  1. Wowzer

Ha these comments crack me up. Yes it was all dudes fault for missing that flight. Should he have been mad? Absolutly not, only at himself. Kind of funny how he went about it and a dang good way to have the flight stopped. But what the eff? Did he not think his day was about to get worse? Not only did you miss your flight bc of you, now your dumb a$$ is goin to jail! HA HA. Heres your sign.

October 31, 2010 at 2:48 am | Report abuse |
    • PhoenixRising

Wowzer, your comment made me literally lol.

October 31, 2010 at 3:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Kyle T. ROlling

How was it his fault? CONNECTING FLIGHT. Most times the luggage makes it from one plane to the other faster than the person who owns it can run from one end of the airport to the other. Case in point, NEWARK airport, the armpit of America. Every time I've flown into that pile, I've had to catch a bus to another terminal. It wasn't the guy's fault he missed his flight. It was the airline's fault.

October 31, 2010 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  2. ballsacteabagger

Stupid man. stupid tea party. stupid everything.

October 31, 2010 at 2:57 am | Report abuse |
    • TD

Careful what you say, Lisa might open a can of whoop a$$ on you.

October 31, 2010 at 3:10 am | Report abuse |
    • 4LordGod

anti-tea party=UnAmerican Traitor

October 31, 2010 at 3:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Michael

So what did the tea party have to do with this article?

October 31, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Ruspanic

Was it Ben Stiller?

October 31, 2010 at 3:07 am | Report abuse |
  4. merle

So I am on a flight and the Capt. says uhmm... a fellow umh passenger says there ir ahhh bomb in his luggage. Uhmm being that this is a democracy uhh we can vote to leave this plane or stay and get to your ahhh destination on time. Me Id be like the dude from jet blue. Hit the slides....screw you guys Im outta here

October 31, 2010 at 3:08 am | Report abuse |
  5. Captain KnowItAll

Just to sum up here...There are plenty of little "people" out there who think this is funny. You are fools. Travel is serious business in this day and age. Make stupid remarks like this in an airport and expect to have your travel delay a little longer than just a missed connection. Maybe 6 months in jail if there is any justice. Think about it. You may not like TSA, neither do I. They get into my business all the time because I always travel with syringes (for insulin). But still, they do an important job and you need to just be prepared to give up some of your freedom to ride the skyways. That is all.

October 31, 2010 at 3:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Steve

I travel for business and I am subjected to the TSA 4 to 8 times every week. The things that actually make us safe are not an issue. It's the knee jerk reactions to things they miss – that won't prevent anything; that I object too. It's a proven fact that body scanners AND pat downs will NOT detect underwear bombs.

Remember the National Guard troops with M16's at the airport and all the terminal shut downs when someone eluded security. The M16's were as effective then as the pat downs and body scanners are today.

Even worse are the poor souls that work for the TSA – it's a thankless tedious job where they face an ever frustrated and angry traveling public. Yes the terrorists have won. For those who think we shouldn't have troops on the ground carrying on the fight – well you better get used to this as it's only going go get worse!

October 31, 2010 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
    • McDuck

It's a thankless job because they deserve no thanks. It's an illusion about safety when all it really does is shovel money into the pockets of buddies of politicians. You want a safer America? Tell your representatives to vote for disbanding the military.

October 31, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  6. merle

If you think a can of whoopass is ok better bring one for back up

October 31, 2010 at 3:16 am | Report abuse |
  7. Bob in Tennessee

It's not a freedom of speech issue. The law is long settled that you can't yell "Fire" in a crowded theatre because of the consequences; you can't say "Bomb" at an airport and not expect to be in trouble. There's a required balance between your privilege of speaking freely and the public safety. Nobody likes the TSA much, including me, but in their defense there is a lot going on behind the scenes that the public does not know about, designed to protect us. They are dumb, underpaid, insensitive, and have no sense of humor; however, like police everywhere, they are trying to do their jobs. Let's give them a break.

October 31, 2010 at 3:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Have you ever wondered why they would hire dumb, underpaid, insensitive people and put them in charge of security? You think you are an American but no American would ever give up his/her Liberties and Freedoms for so called "protection.. "We are here to help you, shut up and do what you are told, do not question our authority".. This is only the tip of the iceberg.. police state is here and so many people have no idea until him/her and family is rounded up and herded like cattle..

October 31, 2010 at 3:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Kevin

I agree Mike. I pay taxes but the government will not listen to the people. The only people that ever pointed a gun at me were the police. I think most people agree with security but not with children being observed naked. Or women "touched" This is too far!

October 31, 2010 at 4:03 am | Report abuse |
    • AmandaB

Unfortunately, Kevin, there are extremists out there who wouldn't hesitate to use a child for their own twisted ends. And more and more women extremists are cropping up now. We have to get over our Puritanism for the greater good. I'd rather be patted down than blown up, wouldn't you? A pat down is a minor moment of embarrassment, where being blown to smithereens, along with hundreds of others is, well, quite permanent. But you know, it would eliminate further embarrassment in the future, if that's what you want. Let's all get over ourselves! Our human bodies are all the same.

October 31, 2010 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Mike

@AmandaB, Our forefathers warned us of all of this "protection". The terrorists have already won.. they have you so scared that you are willing to give up your Liberties and Freedoms to feel more "protected". The more protection there is, the less Freedoms and Liberties we have. Soon there will be so much "protection" that you will be a prisoner in your own home.. You are not a true American.

October 31, 2010 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  8. freeddoom

i guess he is going to miss the next flight too!!!!

October 31, 2010 at 3:35 am | Report abuse |
  9. Don't Care

The guy was an idiot.

However I'd take my chances with increased risk if TSA security procedures vanished. They are such a pain.

October 31, 2010 at 3:36 am | Report abuse |
  10. no good

Like Riley said " just dont drop the SOAP

October 31, 2010 at 3:51 am | Report abuse |
  11. Lisa

Excuse me, but they are supposed to take your luggage off if you aren't on the plane with it. That should have been done automatically. It's a security measure to ensure that no one puts a bomb in their checked luggage and doesn't get on the plane with it. The guy is an idiot, but they should thank him for speaking up.

October 31, 2010 at 3:58 am | Report abuse |
    • tahoemike

Doesn't sound like you do much flying Lisa so let me inform you that on International flights you need a positive bag match with the passenger. On domestic flights that is not the case and often bags go out without the matching passenger due to weather, misconnects, or perhaps long security longs causing a missed flight. The TSA knows who the bag belongs to but occasionally it might not be on the same flight. What happens when luggage is lost and then found later? It gets put on a flight without the matching person of course. If you flew more than once a year, you would know these facts so I'll give you a break being a newbie flyer.

October 31, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jade

How much do you think it helps to stop someone checking a bomb but missing the flight, if we're talking about suicide bombers?

October 31, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  12. merle

Oh please flying is a privledge not a right. Here is a news flash. these are people. @ mike these un educated people made a great call. This idiot will need to worry how his miranda rights can help him now.

October 31, 2010 at 3:59 am | Report abuse |
    • GABRIEL

Wrong, flying is not a privilege. It is a service you pay for, to get you from A to B.
      Nothing more whatsoever.

Don`t believe the hype.

October 31, 2010 at 6:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Kyle T. Rolling

So you think we should be strip searched to ride trains, buses, and taxis as well? Same thing. I PAY money for them to take me somewhere. If I'm paying for a service, then they'd better service me every which way I demand to be serviced. Keep your hands out of my pants and get me a drink and some peanuts. Then leave me alone. That's what I want out of a flight that I PAY for. They have the privilege of ME flying on their run-down planes. They'd better do what they're told.

They're STEWARDESSES. Stop churching it up. GET ME A DRINK.

October 31, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  13. gwats

These TSA guys are morons. Don't give them a reason to mess with you.

October 31, 2010 at 4:00 am | Report abuse |
  14. merle

A police state? OK Dale Gribble or should I say Rusty Shackleford?

October 31, 2010 at 4:05 am | Report abuse |
  15. merle

@kevin and you gave the police no reason to draw their weapons? I call bs on that come on kev what was the reason?

October 31, 2010 at 4:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Kevin

No I did not! No charges ever filed. No arrests ever made. It happens to thousands of Americans every year at an alarming rate.

October 31, 2010 at 4:52 am | Report abuse |