October 31st, 2010

Man arrested in Denver airport bomb scare

Authorities arrested a man at Denver International Airport after he said there was a bomb in his luggage, a United Airlines spokesman said.

The man was angry because he missed a connecting flight from Denver, Colorado, to Salt Lake City, Utah, on Saturday, but his luggage was still on the plane, United Airlines spokesman Rahsaan Johnson told CNN.

"He was disruptive in the gate area and made inappropriate comments," Johnson said.

At that point the plane, which was still taxiing at the airport, was brought back to the gate, and airline employees removed the man's bag from the plane, Johnson said. The flight was delayed for an hour as authorities investigated.

The man is being charged with interfering with public transportation and will be taken to the Denver jail, according to Denver Police spokesman Sonny Jackson.

Read the full CNN.com story

Post by:
Filed under: Air travel
  1. 1scooman

What a selfish jerk! He misconnects, acts like a petulant child, disrupts flight operations, frightens other passengers with his tantrum... He ought to do so time!

October 31, 2010 at 6:06 am | Report abuse |
  2. V

If this bozo had made these comments in 2001 after 9/11, those of you who think your freedoms are being abridged would have thought very differently. Just because another plane hasn't been blown up in U.S. doesn't mean they aren't trying – check out what happened with UPS flights this weekend. This guy was a jerk – no question about it. Any threat is to be taken seriously. But he not only inconvenienced other passengers but scared everybody. Slap him in jail and throw away the key. The authorities didn't ruin his life – he did! He is not the only person who has missed a connection...I have on business and have not thrown a tantrum about it.

October 31, 2010 at 6:26 am | Report abuse |
  3. Mason

You don't have a right to fly. If you don't like how you are treated at the airport don't fly,

October 31, 2010 at 6:32 am | Report abuse |
    • GABRIEL

No you don have the right to fly;
      unless you`ve actually paid for the ticket.

Then you have the right to actually get what you paid for. You have the right to demand to be taken from A to B.

Without the stupid mumbo-jumbo hysteria. The customer is allways right, you idiot.

October 31, 2010 at 7:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Sam

You may have a right to get what you paid for, but that is a "contractual" right, not a right as a citizen of the USA...big difference. And there is a lot of fine print on that contract. So, if the weather is bad and the plane is grounded, are you going to demand the airline fly anyway because it is your right (regardless of the risk involved)? I believe the airline also has the right, at their discretion, to refuse service to you, and refund your fare.

October 31, 2010 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
  4. phil

@V...we aren't stupid. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that if tens of thousands of illegal Mexicans can freely enter this country, there is NOTHING stopping "terrorists" from entering. And since it is public info that our domestic water supplies and aquaducts are NOT guarded, there is NOTHING stopping would-be "terrorists" from easily poisoning them. use your brain already.

October 31, 2010 at 6:44 am | Report abuse |
  5. DJ

Are they sure the passenger wasn't using the word "bomb" in a colloquial sense – like "you da bomb?" Maybe he just said he needed to "drop a bomb" referring to the excretory act and was simply misinterpreted. I think we need a televised congressional hearing to get to the bottom of this...

October 31, 2010 at 7:02 am | Report abuse |
  6. Pete

The man lost his temper becuase he missed a connection. he then decided to spoil it for evryone else, in a fit of pique, by saying the one thing he knew would cause the plane to stop. I cannot believe that people on this site are actually defending him. If someone called a bomb scare at your local Mall, you would expect action. It isn't in any way funny and the man deserves to be prosecuted.

October 31, 2010 at 7:10 am | Report abuse |
  7. Some Guy

The airline industry brings a lot of these problems on themselves.

October 31, 2010 at 7:12 am | Report abuse |
  8. Lance

Airline employees removed the bag? Not the bomb squad? Military? Couldn't have been much of a threat.

October 31, 2010 at 7:24 am | Report abuse |
  9. phil

As if the "terrorists" don't see tens of thousands of illegal Mexicans sneaking in and don't realize how easy it is.

October 31, 2010 at 7:25 am | Report abuse |
  10. Quincy9

The world is as it is. I for one would rather go through a wee bit of inconvenience than be dead. We have it pretty good in America compared to a lot of places (Anyone want to move to Haiti?) and I think that we might have become a bit jaded when it comes being accommodated. I'm not saying lower the standards just exercise some common sense and patience. . The guy was an idiot. You can't yell "Fire!" in a theater either. He deserves to go to jail. He just traded his connecting flight for a lengthy and invasive body cavity search. He'll need one of those inflatable donuts for his next flight.

October 31, 2010 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
  11. Shneeky

Some people commenting in here are seriously crying foul over this man's "free speech" rights?!?!? There are laws against yelling fire in a crowded theater and for anyone, with sense, who has ever traveled via plane knows you don't even MENTION, not even "joke", about bombs in a freakin' airport!! This guy was so stupid that he needs to be removed from the planet, regardless of what reason it was that he missed his flight. I totally agree that the TSA regulations are a bit obscene, I just lost yet another pair of tiny cuticle scissors that I'd inadvertently left in my carry-on bag, but if they find just one explosive or weapon intended for misdeed then I guess that's the price we have to pay... take a bus you crybabies that don't like it!

October 31, 2010 at 7:42 am | Report abuse |
  12. rmsbl4

I guess people have to be very lery when saying anything around an airport refering to any aircrart made by Bombardier.

October 31, 2010 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
  13. James Hollen

It only will take 0NE successful terrorist bomb explosion over a major city on a 747 and 300-400 people will fall to their deaths. (not to mention the hell on the ground) Then you will see extreme measures taken to secure the planes. You think airline travel is a hassle now, just wait!

October 31, 2010 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
  14. admiral 149

The passenger behaved like a child, and the airlines and TSA did what they were instructed to do when a bomb threat is made, There is too much security that cost too many dollars, Just arm the good guys and the problem goes away.

October 31, 2010 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
  15. carl botha

This story reminded me what happened to me 5 years ago in a Wall Mart when my daughter was 5 years old.

She was in a bad mood all day and when she started yelling and screaming and kicking I picked her up to take her back to the car.

I ignored her protests, but as I was walking past two security guards at the Exit, she yelled at them:

"He is not my Daddy!"

(I took me 40 minutes to get rid of them ... )

October 31, 2010 at 8:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Don't Bump My Foot in the Stall

This story somehow reminds me what happened 5 years ago in a Wall Mart when my daughter was 5 years old.
      "He is not my Daddy!"
      (I took me 40 minutes to get rid of them ... )
      ------------
      Abracadabra, Abracadabra! Poof! Now you have two new parents!

October 31, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |