October 31st, 2010

Man arrested in Denver airport bomb scare

Authorities arrested a man at Denver International Airport after he said there was a bomb in his luggage, a United Airlines spokesman said.

The man was angry because he missed a connecting flight from Denver, Colorado, to Salt Lake City, Utah, on Saturday, but his luggage was still on the plane, United Airlines spokesman Rahsaan Johnson told CNN.

"He was disruptive in the gate area and made inappropriate comments," Johnson said.

At that point the plane, which was still taxiing at the airport, was brought back to the gate, and airline employees removed the man's bag from the plane, Johnson said. The flight was delayed for an hour as authorities investigated.

The man is being charged with interfering with public transportation and will be taken to the Denver jail, according to Denver Police spokesman Sonny Jackson.

Read the full CNN.com story

Post by:
Filed under: Air travel
  1. sundog616

The part I dislike about flying, is renting a car at the other end. They are the real hostage takers.

October 31, 2010 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
  2. carl botha

This story somehow reminds me what happened 5 years ago in a Wall Mart when my daughter was 5 years old.

She was in a bad mood all day and when she started yelling and screaming and kicking I picked her up to take her back to the car.

I ignored her protests, but as I was walking past two security guards at the Exit, she yelled at them:

"He is not my Daddy!"

(I took me 40 minutes to get rid of them ... )

October 31, 2010 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  3. Stanley

If people would stop flying this insane crap at airports would stop. Boycott the airlines & airports. Quit living in fear and believing all the fear mongering government rhetoric. Stupid is as stupid does.

October 31, 2010 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  4. Sean

VERY easy solution to those of you who do not want the x-ray screening and/or pat down. DON'T FLY! If a pat down or x-ray screening is required so that i on't blow up in air, go for it. One of you morons called this a police state, yea ok, a police state would require EVERYONE to get a pat down, you only get it if you are FLYING. grow up, really.

October 31, 2010 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  5. D

The man should've had to pay for everyone else's time and the airline's expense, but should NOT have been arrested for simply saying something. What has this country come to? if you say something wrong you get arrested? great...

October 31, 2010 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  6. telveer

Now I know why Bombay was changed to Mumbai

October 31, 2010 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  7. Jason

Selfish little #@!*

October 31, 2010 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  8. javan

Regarding the security screening etc...The pat downs, etc. I want to know when theywil start to put the plane crew through the same procedure. A month ago I flew through Burlington Vermont airport and saw a crew (2-pilots, 2-stews) breeze through with very little scrutiny. One pilot even had a huge bottle of water strapped to his bag that was about 2/3 full.

October 31, 2010 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  9. Osobien

Foreign airlines do match luggage before leaving the gate. However, this F***ing idiot shows up to the airport late and then makes threats? I hope they throw the book at this guy. I fly a lot. I also make it my business to actually get to the airport at least 90 minutes ahead of departure. Yes it is a pain, yes there can be delays, but hey, if you REALLY want to be on that plane, then get there.

Additionally, it is not like there aren't a lot of planes going between SLC and DEN. It has to be a 90 minute flight, in bad weather. It is not like he missed the one plane per day that is leaving. And if that flight was so important to be on, then I will defer to my first point – get to the airport on time.

October 31, 2010 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
    • KDW31

He missed a connecting flight. I assume he got to the original airport on time. He however did not make it to the gate of the second flight. This is more than likely because his originating flight was late. Not much he could have done to prevent missing the flight.

October 31, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  10. William

If the airport genital handlers ever want to grope me, I will claim that I am gay so I demand that a female genital handler check my private parts.

October 31, 2010 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  11. chicagoK

Put the lying bomb scare idiot in jail for 25 years! The people of the US don't need idiots.

October 31, 2010 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  12. Hai Jack

I refuse to fly. I stick out my thumb – it's cheaper and you get to know America better. But you have to know "the rules of the road" .. Ask Jay and Silent Bob ... (and Carrie Fisher)

October 31, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
    • tahoemike

But what if the guy picking you up is an Al Quida operative? If not then I guess you could tell a lot of bomb jokes to pass the time as you take a 50 hour road trip across country.

October 31, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Peter E

Yes, the man should be charged. But so should United Airlines for violating federal regulations that specifically prohibit the plane departing while the passanger is not yet on board.

October 31, 2010 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Jade

and that would be CFR number... ?

October 31, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  14. F Daniel Gray

The 9/11 incident, strategically speaking, was a well planned and successful move by whoever ( we still don't know the complete story) it was. And the success, i.e., the propaganda, is still reverberating with all the hysteria, disruption and fear exhibited by US! We are still on the lookout for lone wolf operators. Well, if any group is planning another "incident," it won't be bringing down a passenger plane. Been there, done that. Just because you don't like people, it is unproductive to think they are stupid. If there is a next time, you can bet it would be at a large gathering such as a sporting event. It's NOT rocket science. Ii would like to know my governments thoughts on that!

October 31, 2010 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |