November 2nd, 2010

Baby survives 7-story fall

An 18-month-old girl in Paris, France, appeared unhurt after falling seven stories and bouncing off an awning into a man's arms, witnesses told Le Parisien newspaper.

Witnesses said the child and a sibling had been left alone briefly Monday in their seventh-floor apartment in the city's 20th arrondissement, east of the central city. The girl fell out of a window, but a boy on the street saw her falling and alerted his father, who caught the baby after she bounced off the awning of a tobacco shop and cafe on the building's ground floor, the paper reported.

The man with the quick reflexes and good hands, a doctor, looked over the girl and didn't find any injuries, but handed her off to an ambulance crew to be safe, according to Le Parisien.

Post by:
Filed under: France • World
  1. Xiu Xiu

Story brought to you courtesy of Looney Tunes. Did Porky Pig poke his head out of the awning and say, "Th-Th-Th-Th-Th- That's all, folks!" Of course folks here won't believe it until someone posts it on YouTube. Those darn French, probably sipping wine, drinking coffee and smoking... too bourgeoise to capture outrageous video for fun and profit. This is the kind of video which could land someone the 10K grand prize money on America's Funniest Home Video.

November 2, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jessica S

Thank goodness that man was there! Where were the parents?!?!

November 2, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  3. j rob

Baby falling was obamas fault. Baby being saved was because of luck

November 2, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  4. MJ

I can hear crazy sound effects in my mind when visualizing this. Happy for all involved. 🙂

November 2, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  5. liz B

It was not her time,

November 2, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Andy

What a tale this will make later in life!

– A

November 2, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Shale Maulana

Okay, enough of the existence of God argument. Let's focus on the story... I am appalled by the extreme negligence by the parents! This is one of those accidents that should not have happened. I truly hope these parents custodianship is in jeopardy. If they were negligent enough to allow this to occur, then I don't even want to know what else is going on at their place...

November 2, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • terry

Yea... lets take the child away because you said so. Accidents happen, and yes, sometimes those accidents results in deaths. You try to take my child away and your life will be in jeopardy.

November 3, 2010 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  8. Television Reporter from Metropolis

"Uh. I cannot believe it. He got her."

November 2, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Bill

George: do some more drugs and mellow out. Dont forget to not go to the polls today with the rest of the dems.

November 2, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  10. GodSchmod

God does not exist.

The human race has had a desire to believe in something other than themselves, as much as many of you may disagree. The world was once the center of the universe, the world was flat, nothing could go faster than the speed of sound, and there was no outer space. Beliefs and society change. Mine: the Bible is a story book written ages ago based on both fiction and non-fiction, much like Lord of the Rings. Only difference, the Bible was converted to a religion over the ages and preached upon by people that were afraid of the unknown. Sure, it has some fun and interresting stories, but to me, they are only stories, passed on from generation to generation. The human race is smarter these days, and it is only a matter of time before religion is exposed for what it really is: a belief system, corrupted over the ages, violent at times, and one of the biggest money makers in the human race. Just look at the Vatican, it has more wealth than most countries...

Here is my take on it all. The baby was very lucky, much like a lightning strike caught on camera. The little boy should be held as a hero for his alertness and knowing what to do when the time came. Another good story for the world to read and muse upon for the next several generations, or forgotten as many other do...

November 2, 2010 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Manda

I thank God so much for putting this man in the right place at the right time... God worked a miracle today by saving this baby. We are so quick to say God is not real when things go wrong, but so slow to thank him when things go right... God was obviously not finished with this child and that is why she was saved.. There is also satan/devil... He is the ruler of the darkness of this world. He is loving that the people on here are saying God is not real because he knows that if you continue to believe that then one day you will spend eternity in a lake of fire. burning and burning... He wants that.. and it will happen if you do not chose to believe in the Lord. Jesus Christ died on the cross for our sins to save us from going to Hell. We can either live eternity in Heaven or in Hell. It is your choice. God says He goes to prepare a place for each of us if we are his children. We have mansions in Heaven if you have accepted him as Lord and Savior. He is real. and the Bible is real.. God did work a miracle, and i thank God so much for that!

November 2, 2010 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Madeleine

I think you should reanalyze the post. We aren't bashing "God" when things go wrong. In this case everything went perfectly. The person posting the comment is merely stating their opinion that God doesn't exist. Now, you can talk till you're blue in the face to get this person to believe whatever your religious beliefs are, but the end result will still only be you looking like a smurf and vexing the nonbelievers. -myself included- Keep your "Jesus loves me, this I know"

November 2, 2010 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Madeleine

Cont: psychobabble to yourself and I'll keep my Pagan rituals to my own group as well.

November 2, 2010 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

You can explain all that to god after you die. Maybe he'll believe you enough to give you a place where you don't have to be inconvenienced by his existence. He's cool like that.

November 3, 2010 at 2:13 am | Report abuse |
  11. publius enigma

Hard to believe a baby could hit an awning and not be killed instantly after 7 stories fall. That only happens in cartoons.

November 2, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  12. dane

that was not an act of god. So what if that guy that caught her was there. It could have been anyone, he was just the first to action. If i were in a group of people and we came upon a mugging walking down a street and i do nothing but someone else in the group does thats not a miracle thats just the other person jumping into action first before the other people could. Not a miracle, simply good timing and reaction skills

November 2, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Yea right

Ummm...yeah right. I think I saw this on an episode of Looney Tunes.

November 2, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  14. LIVELAUGHLOVE!!!

George from LA, I think you need to realize that many people in this world have different views, and I totally respect yours. The one approach I want to make is I believe God exists, and only because many people around the world die of terrible tragedies it does not mean that God does not exist.... some people need to realize that this life is simply a test there are many easy parts and some are just terribly hard. This incident may have been a coincidence or a miracle but what many people do not know is the fact that it was meant to happen for a reason we may not know it but it was all in Gods will!!

November 2, 2010 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Oy.

It's extremely easy to justify God's existence by saying whatever happens, good or bad, happens for a reason, whether we can determine that reason or not. Again, I wish my job was modeled on that tenet: I.e., Whatever I do or don't do is exactly what I should have done, regardless of the consequence of my action or inaction, and my reasoning is inscrutable. Does that not sound ridiculous? Maybe it's just me...

November 2, 2010 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • godrocks

Really like the comment, screw people who believe that god is responsible for deaths and tradgedies. god does not do this to us. We make the choice the pull the trigger of the gun. We are responsible for our sins. God will never take away our free will. Like you said life is a test, sure maricles don't happen eveyday day but does that really mean that god doesen't exist? And for stupid people who say 'well, what has god ever done for me?' look all around you look at the blue skies, the green grass, look at yourself. you would have or be nothing without god. Believe it or not i've doubted god before because stuff didn't work the way I wanted. But I realize that god loves me so much he sent his son to die for me. please reply. thank you.

November 3, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • godrocks

I'm replying to livelaughlove.

November 3, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Burbank

Where's my magic ray gun, I have a couple of parents I want to sterilize!

November 2, 2010 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |