November 3rd, 2010

Bone found in search for missing North Carolina girl

Search teams have discovered a bone that may be related to the disappearance of 10-year-old Zahra Baker, police in North Carolina said Wednesday.

The bone will be sent to the medical examiner's office in Chapel Hill for further examination, the Hickory Police Department said.

In the past week, the Hickory Police Department said it has recovered key pieces of evidence in the search for the 10-year-old cancer survivor, who was reported missing by her stepmother on October 9.

Zahra Baker was reported missing by her stepmother October 9.

Police on Monday confirmed that a prosthetic leg found last week in a brushy area off a road belonged to Zahra, who lost her leg to bone cancer when she was 5.

Also last week, employees at an environmental landfill found a mattress thought to have belonged to Zahra. Investigators believe the mattress was disposed of days before Zahra was reported missing, and hoped to use it to reinforce the timeline of her disappearance.  DNA tests on the mattress are being performed.

The discovery of the bone also comes two days after a Catawba County grand jury indicted Zahra's stepmother, Elisa Baker, on an obstruction of justice charge related to the search for Zahra.

The charge stems from a fake ransom note that authorities say Baker admitted to writing to distract police from the search for Zahra.

Zahra's father, Adam Baker, is in custody on charges of submitting worthless checks and failing to appear in court.

Police earlier acknowledged that he faced bad-check charges, which are unrelated to the disappearance of his daughter. But they did not initially arrest him, as he had been helping authorities in their search.

The disappearance of Zahra, who was hearing impaired and had persevered through numerous health battles, has made international headlines.

Baker and his daughter, who are from Australia, moved to the United States after he met his future wife, Elisa Baker, online.

Meanwhile Wednesday, crews continued to search for evidence near the lake where Zahra's prosthesis was found, CNN affiliate WBTV reported.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Justice • Missing Children • North Carolina
  1. texmix

and walk around lets see china india pakistan etc. with a sign that you do. hmm checkmate

November 4, 2010 at 4:17 am | Report abuse |
  2. texmix

my bad....

November 4, 2010 at 4:21 am | Report abuse |
  3. texmix

just bring her home.

November 4, 2010 at 4:31 am | Report abuse |
  4. azulle

it breaks my heart every time i see a picture of her. poor sweet girl... to have survived such a terrible disease just to fall prey into the hands of evil people.

November 4, 2010 at 4:58 am | Report abuse |
  5. Al

Dictionary, I don't know what you've been smoking but that's pretty sick. Go seek help.

November 4, 2010 at 5:20 am | Report abuse |
  6. vanity

This child had to been in school or been around other adults some body should have seen something

November 4, 2010 at 5:30 am | Report abuse |
  7. SweetAngel

I believe that her "father" & "stepmother" know what happened to little Zahra. My "stepfather" abused me while my adopted "mother" watched placidly. They have both since passed away, one from cancer and the other from unknown causes. I am a believer in God, He was my One Friend and confidant during those horrible times. I know this beyond a shadow of a doubt. Little Zahra, you are in the Loving arms of God, He is a Father to the Fatherless. He is my Father. I trust that through Him True justice can and will be done.
    Zahra~ ~ ~ May God Bless you and keep you, Rest peacefully in His arms, knowing that you are forever safe and secure from any and all harm. I will always pray for you and those who truly do love you,(of which I am one), you will Always have a special place in my heart. Enjoy Heaven, dear one. Hugs Always!

November 4, 2010 at 5:39 am | Report abuse |
  8. HF

for all the morons who keep posting "the stepmom did it" like it is some kind of revelation that nobody has realized, get real, everyone knows she did it.
    In order to make sure she can't easily overturn any convictions or claim media bias the authorities must keep veru quiet about the case and only officially charge her when they have proper evidence.

November 4, 2010 at 5:52 am | Report abuse |
  9. NC2010

I wonder if the parents had taken out life insurance on the girl? Sounds like they had lots of money issues.

November 4, 2010 at 6:04 am | Report abuse |
  10. Frances

I been keeping up with this story since it first been reported. I was hopeing and praying for a better ending for this poor child 🙁 This will never end, intill the system steps up. there all to maney pedophiles @ muderers around our childern today... and it strikes us with fear. when i hear about stories of children missing and being hurt and thier crys for help while theses monsters are hurting them and there's no one around to help and protect them makes me sick to my stomach. we need to find more ways to protect our chilren and get these's monters off the streets.

November 4, 2010 at 6:25 am | Report abuse |
    • MrsFizzy

And the monsters in their homes with them...

November 5, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  11. R

b&stards. the next time I hear someone say that the death penalty is cruel and unusual I'm going to hit them. they should bring back drawn and quarter for her.

November 4, 2010 at 6:40 am | Report abuse |
  12. Jessie2010

Arrest the GD father already. The man had a hand in this too and shouldn't be allowed to roam free!!!

November 4, 2010 at 6:42 am | Report abuse |
  13. Sean R

If someone doesn't get the death penalty for this then they should just abolish it all together. I was really hoping for the miracle although from watching Nancy Grace we all but knew the outcome. God bless her and her relatives that care about her.

November 4, 2010 at 7:20 am | Report abuse |
  14. Jim P

Deaf, lost a leg to cancer, abused by her step-mother, abandoned (?) by her mother and not a soul in this world she could turn to.

How much lonlier can a person be?

May she rest in peace.

November 4, 2010 at 7:27 am | Report abuse |
  15. steve

My heart just aches for that beautiful child. This is so sad. Of course the parents did it. Fry both of them. Why does this liberalism in this country protect the criminals and have a "care less" tude about the victims. That is why I voted out every liberal judge on Tuesday. I am fed up and every judge who is in favor of the criminal element in this country deserves to fry along with the criminal!

November 4, 2010 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |