November 3rd, 2010

USGS: 6.1 quake hits off eastern Indonesian coast

[Updated at 11:02 a.m.] Indonesia's Mount Merapi volcano erupted several times Wednesday, and an earthquake struck off of the coast of Papua, Indonesia, far to the east of the volcano.

Mount Merapi, in central Java, spewed plumes intermittently for about five hours, sending out enough ash to prompt authorities to extend the danger zone an extra 5 km, to a 15 km radius from the volcano.

The extension forced thousands of evacuees to seek shelter farther away, a local journalist told CNN.

Mount Merapi's lava and ash have killed at least 39 people since it began erupting on October 26. An additional 74 have been injured and more than 71,000 people have been evacuated, according to Indonesia's National Disaster Management Board.

Residents on the volcano have repeatedly fled, returned home to check on their houses and farm animals, and fled anew with each fresh eruption.

The 3,000-meter Merapi is famously unpredictable. An eruption killed two people in 2006 and another killed more than 60 villagers in 1994. About 1,300 people died when Merapi erupted in 1930.

The 6.1-magnitude earthquake off the eastern Indonesian coast Wednesday did not prompt tsunami warnings from Indonesia's Bureau of Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics or the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center.

There are no reports of damage or injuries so far.

Last week, a 7.7-magnitude earthquake hit Indonesia's coast, triggering a tsunami and killing at least 449 people. Hundreds more were injured.

Post by:
Filed under: Earthquake • Indonesia
  1. Bob Saget

This is not awesomesauce. Live and let live. Allez-vous! Viva La France!

November 3, 2010 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
  2. Bob Saget

I hope everyone in Indonesia is safe though. This is not a good thing.
    =(

November 3, 2010 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  3. yaeger

Please edit this story and make it shorter. It's TOO long.

November 3, 2010 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  4. Ll cool B

Today CNN covered the midterm elections vote in every state the rest of the world couldn't care less about. Andy Irons death didn't even get a mention from CNN. I'd say an earthquake is pretty news worthy.

Having said that CNN ARE AMERICAN. follow another international news twitter feed to get a worldwide balanced perspective I say.

Re: earthquake, the seismic activity in that region lately has been huge. And while I'm no apocalyptic weirdo, I can't help but wonder if it's all building up to a gargantuan natural disaster.

November 3, 2010 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  5. McLovin

its called the dark rift

November 3, 2010 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  6. McLovin

November 3, 2010 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  7. j rob

Obamas fault

November 3, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mistylynn

It is so very sad what these people are going through. I get upset with myself when I let things bother me that are so small until I read what is going on around this world and I realize how blessed and lucky my life is. Good family, good friends, and a good life. My heart aches for these people.

November 3, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  9. IndypendentJones

MAKE OUTSOURCING ILLEGAL! BRING JOBS BACK SO PEOPLE CAN PAY THEIR MORTGAGES! VOTE INDEPENDENT 2012

November 3, 2010 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  10. kim

I rather read about a earthquake then election now we got people trying to censor the news tell them to skip over it turn it off, but stop trying to determine what other people you dont know want to read in the news or find interesting, sometimes people dont know when to stop being rude and invasive. I want to know about earthquake an if i decide im not interested ill read something else.

November 3, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |