November 4th, 2010

At least seven dead, 25 missing after Costa Rica mudslides

[Updated at 11:16 a.m.] Seven people died and another 25 to 30 were missing Thursday after heavy overnight rains caused severe mudslides in parts of Costa Rica, the nation's Red Cross said.

Another 600 people have sought refuge in 14 shelters, said the Costa Rica National Commission for Emergencies, commonly known as CNE for its Spanish abbreviation.

[Posted at 10:49 a.m.] At least two people died and another 25 to 30 were missing Thursday after heavy overnight rains caused severe mudslides in parts of Costa Rica, the nation's Red Cross said.

CNN affiliate Teletica TV reported that unnamed rescue officials said seven people had died. CNN could not independently confirm that figure.

Post by:
Filed under: Costa Rica • Weather
  1. Nat

Compassion...look it up and start having some of it!

November 4, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  2. Kelly

"Parts of Costa Rica"? Can you be a bit more specific?

November 4, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Luis

This happened in San Antonio, Escazú

November 4, 2010 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Angela

Thank you, Louis. I did a a brief foreign exchange in Alajuela and I've had my heart in my throat. I know it's trajic where ever it happens but it's such a beautiful town and there's some bad cliffs around there.

November 4, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guillermo

Most of the damage was in San Antonio de Escazu, specifically in barrio El Carmen, which is right next to Mount Pico Blanco: 20 dead so far. I spent the whole day as volunteer on site; I saw a lot of solidarity today. My condolences to the families in pain. There were also severe floods in Parrita, Cartago and Aserrí.

November 4, 2010 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Chrissy

And then Johnny, maybe someday you're brain will make it out and evolve from neanderthal-man to a real man ...but I seriously doubt that!

November 4, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Dana

Do you really think it matter what the houses are made out of (and maybe you'd like to know that it's not mud)? It's the earth under and around them that's giving away. The soil can't take anymore water from this rainy season. There are mudslides all over the world, regardless of economic status or education or whatever it is that you think sets you apart from the people here. Welcome to the 21st century. Open your eyes.

November 4, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Sf

Visited Costa Rica last month. Lovely country, generous people. My heart goes out to them.

November 4, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  6. McLovin

boo hoo, wahhh, its a sespool down their. Id call it a earth cleansing landfill. Go back and help them then

November 4, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  7. McLovin

Mother natures colon cleanser!

November 4, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • CPL

How ridiculous are some of you, you don’t have any respect for live, people like you are just a big mistake of the nature, some of you are just a stupid pace of sh.t, and ironically you talk about mothers nature colon cleanser! Look yourself in the mirror, and truly you should be embarrassed the kind of “person” you are, stupid morons. Who do you think you are? You are mortal, be careful, because one day could be your turn. If you don’t have anything nice to say, please shut up!

All my heart and my thoughts are with Costa Rican people.

Sorry my English, as you can see English is not my mother tongue, just want to say what I think about you, and I am sure most you are so ignorant that you could not understand if I said that in Spanish, French or Italian, so I try to say in English.

PS. hope you understand. 🙂

November 5, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  8. The Queen

The jerks leaving "BAD" messages will surely receive worse treatments in life, in one way or another, than these folks in Costa Rica. Boo Hoo to him/them!

November 4, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  9. McLovin

ang, i want to have a brief exchange with you that will leave something in your throat!

November 4, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  10. McLovin

humor mitigates the real issue of are we all gong to be here in 20 years? Sorry. Life is an amazing gift, fragile, yet resilient, id like to think that its all going to be o.k. But its not! Things happen for a reason. Why do you not see some of theese religious comments could be taken as a lack of faith, as in questioning god's will?

November 4, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  11. flux

And here I thought someone had poisoned their drinks. Also, it is not God's will for people to die.

November 4, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Leo

Latest official reports: 20 people died (rescue teams are already removing the bodies) and at least 15 more people are missing. Rain is staring to poor again right now (2:36pm local time) and local authorities said there will be showers for 15 more hours, at least.

November 4, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Bond James Bond

then why do they smartas.s flux, have any idea how conflicting everything about god is when truly, and intelligently argued with science? the world is what it is. religion is good in concept (christianity). but science will shoot you down. an athiest is someone who is smart enough to ask the hard questions and accept scientific fact. some of the smartest people in theworld are athiest

November 4, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Bond James Bond

you go put a gun in your mouth, and pull the trigger, if its nots gods will , you wont die!

November 4, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Bond James Bond

let me know how that goes.

November 4, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |