November 4th, 2010

Gunman an apparent suicide in Florida hospital

A former employee who had recently been fired from Palm Bay Hospital returned there Thursday afternoon carrying a gun, holed himself up in an office, then apparently killed himself, officials said.

The incident began about 2:20 p.m., when Palm Bay police got a call from people in the hospital cafeteria who said a man was pointing the gun at anyone who tried to talk to him, said police spokeswoman Yvonne Martinez.

"Initially, when he came into the hospital waving the gun, anybody that attempted to make contact with him or communicate with him he just dismissed and pointed the gun at them," she said. "Clearly, he appeared to be on a mission."

Earlier she had said that, during the police response, "we were told that shots had been fired," but "nobody was injured." But she later told reporters that those shots may have been the gunman taking his own life.

FULL STORY

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Florida
  1. Michelle

At least he didn't take anyone out with him...

November 4, 2010 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
  2. ori

You Know I Feel Hurt For People That Take And Try to Take Their Life I Was Like That Years Ago Its A Mind Problem He Need Help Mentally Sometimes We Just Need Someone To Love Us And Lisen To Us I Did And Now I,m Better.

November 5, 2010 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
  3. tay

i just wiah that he would have relized that things to get better i mean i know i think every one dose that it is hard in this world but its notworth takeing your own life over !!! i wish someone could have helped him in time rest in peace

November 5, 2010 at 1:24 am | Report abuse |
  4. GOD

What a tool bag. Go to hell where you belong. If you feel suicidal, get help or do it at home. Don't cry like a 5 year old to get attention by holding up a hospital full of the weak and injured put there by chance. He's a real idiot if it took him more than 1 shot to off himself. Loser.

November 5, 2010 at 1:28 am | Report abuse |
  5. merle

he worked at the hospital and couldnt kill himself with one shot? no wonder he got fired. what was his job there?

November 5, 2010 at 1:43 am | Report abuse |
  6. dear 'god' #4 and you too merle

What Pathetic MORONS you both are. Never had depression eh? I currently feel suicidial right now. Even competent 'help' in my area is NON-EXISTANT. I have tried believe me. The less than competent mh professionals do more harm than good. Ppl. that attempt suicide or do the deed, simply can't find a way out of the dark hole they find themselves in. Sorry to dissapoint the many who will no doubt encourage me to JUMP or whatever, but I have no current plan to harm myself. Just a perspective from one who knows. By the way to all past and future smart-a$$ commenters – NO ONE is ammune to depression. Oh and one more thing to those same animal/humans, KARMA IS A ..... Sweet dreams to those that can sleep. Insomnia goes hand in hand with depression. Good Night and may God Bless you all.

November 5, 2010 at 2:20 am | Report abuse |
  7. dear 'god' #4 and you too merle

(Immune) sorry... sleep deprivation can do that!

November 5, 2010 at 2:23 am | Report abuse |
  8. merle

@? depression yep suicidal yep anxiety oh yeah cutting tried it. realizing you have kids and a grandbaby that love you can bring things in your life that sux seem trivial.

November 5, 2010 at 3:52 am | Report abuse |
  9. ME

merle I PITTY YOU for making comments like u just did, you R TRULY SICK.

November 5, 2010 at 5:51 am | Report abuse |
  10. merle

@ me do not pity me. i am sorry speaking the truth upsets you. thanx to my kids i enjoy my life

November 5, 2010 at 6:21 am | Report abuse |
  11. osama bin diesel

Your kids are or will be ashamed of you merle , admit it you know it is true

November 5, 2010 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  12. Michelle

Smoke a little weed and go for a walk some place pretty.

November 5, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  13. diesel fan

#10 You seem to have no life, save making nasty comments online. go get a real life 'merle'.

November 5, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  14. joann

No,way did I EVER give my,name,or e-mail address away.But,once,did I give it out,for one article. Please,take my name off the submit comments,or I'll sue. Thanks,Joann Bartholomew

November 5, 2010 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  15. what

It is sad,people killing others or killing themselves in the workplace over being fired.i think counseling should be provided for people after they get fired.this bad economy should be blamed too.

November 5, 2010 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |