November 8th, 2010

Wade Phillips out as Dallas Cowboys' coach

[Updated at 5:57 p.m. ET] Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones confirmed in a news conference Monday afternoon that Wade Phillips was out as the team's head coach, and that assistant head coach Jason Garrett will lead the team on an interim basis.

Jones also said he is elevating defensive line coach Paul Pasqualoni to defensive coordinator.

"An in-season coaching change is something that I've not done before. It's something that I was reluctant to even consider as late as this this past week. But at this time I believe … what’s in the best interest of the organization and the fans is a coaching change," Jones said.

Jones previously had said that Phillips would finish the season as coach. But Sunday night's 45-7 loss to Green Bay - moving the Cowboys' record this season to 1-7 - helped Jones change his mind.

"I don't like the way [changing my mind] looks stability-wise as far as our organization is concerned – not my own self, but the organization – but I think [the situation] called for it, and I recognized that after the game that we just weren't playing winning football, and our best chance was to make this change," Jones said. "Now with that, I don't apologize to anybody about changing my mind."

Jones said Garrett would have a chance to secure the job long-term - especially if the team has success over the next eight games - and that Garrett has "the temperament [and] the disposition to affect a culture change."

[Original post] Wade Phillips is out as the Dallas Cowboys' head coach following an abysmal performance by the team against the Green Bay Packers on Sunday night, a CNN affiliate and ESPN are reporting.

Many people were expecting the move (some were demanding it), and the search "wade phillips fired" was trending No. 1 on Google on Monday afternoon.

America's Team is off to a 1-7 start, their worst since 1989, after a preseason full of Super Bowl hype. Fans and observers have placed the blame squarely on the team's coaches.

CNN affiliate KTXA in Dallas said offensive coordinator Jason Garrett, an assistant head coach and one-time Cowboys backup quarterback, will take the team's reins.

Phillips, the Cowboy's seventh coach, compiled a 35-24 record in three seasons with Dallas. Only one of those wins came in the playoffs, a 34-14 victory over the Philadelphia Eagles in 2009. Phillips' ouster marks the first time the Cowboys have canned a coach mid-season.

Players told CBS 11 that a team meeting was held at 3 p.m. The Cowboys are scheduled to hold a news conference at 4 p.m.

Owner Jerry Jones has repeatedly said that Phillips would finish the season, but after Sunday's 45-7 shellacking in Green Bay, he said there would be "consequences" for players and coaches.

1. Al Falfa

The coaches are not the only ones to blame. The players need to be punished as well, they were the ones on the field and responsible for their actions unless they are under age and have no responsibility. I somehow doubt any of the players are under age. They really suck.

November 8, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Dave

go pats! cowboys are just bad.

November 8, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  3. PackerFan

Indeed I do love watching the cowboys... GET BEAT!

As for the cowboys being americas team, if Green Bay had a bigger stadium we'd sell it out every time no matter how big.... I've been on the season ticket waiting list for 20 years... and prob have another 20 to wait! Fans will go to every game even if they suck, and stay in their seats to the end of every game win or loss.

Cowboys are like the Yankees and Jeff Gordon, people only like them because they used to win all the time!

November 8, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Coach Ditka

so how many times have u jerked it to the pic of farves d1ck? i assume many

November 8, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • 4ever fan

Im a Cowboy fan, I picked the Packers to win and I watched the game anyway.I watched because I love the game even though I knew the Pack would win.

November 8, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Harry

You know he was fired by a liberal, because with a 1-7 record he would have gotten a raise from a conservative.

November 8, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • dave

Politics in this discussion???? REALLLY!!!!?!? Whatever....
      America's team: The Eagles!

November 8, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Coach Ditka

yea who is this gayboy talking about politics? go watch figure skating and pay some bills

November 8, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • SurfKnut

Actually you have this backwards. In a liberal socialized society your net gain is much greater when you are a failure.

November 8, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

Log Cabin Republican, is my guess.

November 8, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Kurt

Sorry Cowboy fans.... but I am tired of Dallas being referred to as "Americas" team . That Era ended years ago just like the steel curtain and the orange crush defense.

November 8, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

I guess you need to tell all those people buying Cowboys jerseys and watching them on TV. They don't seem to have gotten the word.

November 8, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • 4ever fan

You'll need quite a sponsor to get that message out to the people of the country.Not happenin.

November 8, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  6. *Kamgirl47

Jones is a lousy boss.... his hands on approach doesn't work. Then he and the TX taxpayers build a huge football field and fluant it to the rest of the country.... haha I'm glad they're 1-6. Too bad the Packers didn't run up the score 63-7!!

November 8, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  7. richardsrussell

Still thinking of the Cowboys as "America's Team", are we? Then here's another moniker you should start thinking about. As the only team in all of professional sports owned by its own community, the Green Bay Packers are the "People's Team".

November 8, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

If Dallas isn't America's Team anymore, I would vote for Green Bay too. Old school stadium with history. Small market team owned by the fans. Lambeau leap. I stopped rooting for them when the cut Favre, though.

November 8, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  8. matt

Bring back Jimmy Johnson!

November 8, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Billy Ishmael

The Cowboys have replaced the Raiders as the laughingstock of the NFL. Nothing will change until Jerry Jones fires himself as GM.

November 8, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

I Jerry today. He was wearing a white fleece running suit with gold chains and ray ban aviators. He said, "Just sell stuff baby".

November 8, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Tony

Ya booooohoo to all the gay-boy fans. sorry you couldnt live up to the hype and play a super bowl at home in your billion dollar stadium. Oh and sorry about your rangers gettin stomped on in the world series. At least you made it i guess.

November 8, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  11. DeadFred

America's Team?!?!?! Enough already with this "America's Team" crap. They aren't my team and I'm all red wihite and blue baby! Just because some nincompoop marketing dip tagged them with this stupid name 30 years ago doesn't mean we should continue this ridiculous charade!

November 8, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

Too late. It won't go away.

November 8, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Bob Ramos

While this move was unavoidable, it is not the entire solution. If Jones wants a winning team, he needs to keep his cotton picking hands off the management of the Cowboys.

I also saw Sunday's game. The cameras kept cutting to the faces of the coaches and the players. They shown a beaten team.
    Also, I recall the previous Sunday's game. It was down to the last 24 seconds with the Cowboys behind more than ten points. Instead thorwing a Hail Mary and going down fighting, the QB took a knee. This showed that their season under Wade was over.

November 8, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  13. sam99999

You fans of this so-called America's Team wouldn't be so upset if you didn't let yourselves get swept up in the yearly pre-season Superbowl claims. It happens every August and it's a joke. You get disappointed every time. You've won one lousy playoff game in about 15 years; your past doesn't mean much now. Quit trying to exist on past reputation and do something.

November 8, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  14. CJ Kaned

This is Obama's fault. If he were not President this team would be ready for a playoff run. America's team is now a ghetto team that is 1-7. Thanks Obama for turning one of America's pride and joys into a socialist piece of crap.

November 8, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  15. dave

When Romo got hurt, the rest of the team CAVED! That is pathetic. Other teams rally to fill the void. Technically, they have good players that should be doing well. As a Philly fan I can't say I'm sorry to see this, but it is weird.

November 8, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |