November 8th, 2010

Wade Phillips out as Dallas Cowboys' coach

[Updated at 5:57 p.m. ET] Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones confirmed in a news conference Monday afternoon that Wade Phillips was out as the team's head coach, and that assistant head coach Jason Garrett will lead the team on an interim basis.

Jones also said he is elevating defensive line coach Paul Pasqualoni to defensive coordinator.

"An in-season coaching change is something that I've not done before. It's something that I was reluctant to even consider as late as this this past week. But at this time I believe … what’s in the best interest of the organization and the fans is a coaching change," Jones said.

Jones previously had said that Phillips would finish the season as coach. But Sunday night's 45-7 loss to Green Bay - moving the Cowboys' record this season to 1-7 - helped Jones change his mind.

"I don't like the way [changing my mind] looks stability-wise as far as our organization is concerned – not my own self, but the organization – but I think [the situation] called for it, and I recognized that after the game that we just weren't playing winning football, and our best chance was to make this change," Jones said. "Now with that, I don't apologize to anybody about changing my mind."

Jones said Garrett would have a chance to secure the job long-term - especially if the team has success over the next eight games - and that Garrett has "the temperament [and] the disposition to affect a culture change."

[Original post] Wade Phillips is out as the Dallas Cowboys' head coach following an abysmal performance by the team against the Green Bay Packers on Sunday night, a CNN affiliate and ESPN are reporting.

Many people were expecting the move (some were demanding it), and the search "wade phillips fired" was trending No. 1 on Google on Monday afternoon.

America's Team is off to a 1-7 start, their worst since 1989, after a preseason full of Super Bowl hype. Fans and observers have placed the blame squarely on the team's coaches.

CNN affiliate KTXA in Dallas said offensive coordinator Jason Garrett, an assistant head coach and one-time Cowboys backup quarterback, will take the team's reins.

Phillips, the Cowboy's seventh coach, compiled a 35-24 record in three seasons with Dallas. Only one of those wins came in the playoffs, a 34-14 victory over the Philadelphia Eagles in 2009. Phillips' ouster marks the first time the Cowboys have canned a coach mid-season.

Players told CBS 11 that a team meeting was held at 3 p.m. The Cowboys are scheduled to hold a news conference at 4 p.m.

Owner Jerry Jones has repeatedly said that Phillips would finish the season, but after Sunday's 45-7 shellacking in Green Bay, he said there would be "consequences" for players and coaches.

1. austin

I love how someone said the Cowboys are "America's Team" simply because they sell the most merchandise. That's sad, yet fits somehow because this is the U.S. But for every person outside of Texas who is a Cowboys fan, there are probably two more who hate the Cowboys. They are the most over rated team in recent history and now it's showing. I don't get how Dallas fans still find something to gloat about – your team is 1-7 and in ruins. Even before Romo got injured, they didn't have the might to compete with New England, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, or either NY team.

November 8, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • JT

Something about the star,kid.

November 8, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

"for every person outside of Texas who is a Cowboys fan, there are probably two more who hate the Cowboys"

You just answered your own question. You love them or hate them, but you think about them. How about the Tampa Bay Bucks? Love them? Hate them? How about the Rams? Even New England. It's the emotional response one way or the other, just like the Yankees and Notre Dame. I hate the Yankees and Notre Dame, but I don't think about Ohio State or the LA Dodgers at all. I don't love OR hate those teams.

November 8, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Texan

Who cares about those little guys with the star on their helmet. They should just disappear and go away. Bunch of cry babies

November 8, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  2. dallasdyamond

The Cowboys will ALWAYS be America's team despite any past or future bad role models.The other 31 teams are perfect examples, gimme a break and get over the fact that some of u haters don't like the attention the Cowboys get.There's a reason they sell out every season and have so many fans that care how they are coached.WE have 5 SUPERBOWL RINGS and tie that with 2 other teams with only the Steelers having 6 rings.So when your team has 5 rings,come back and tell us how bad we are.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@ 4ever fan................NUFF SAID!!!! POW!!!! I LOVE IT! I'MMA DIE HARD COWBOY FAN WIN OR LOSE, I'M STILL RIDING WITH MY BOYS!!! WE SHALL RISE AGAIN!!!!

November 8, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • dave

America's team. That's the Eagles boy. America's team is made of WINNERS, not LOSERS!!!!
      Lot's of guts admitting you're a 'Boy fan in this thread though.

November 8, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

Not anytime soon. Have you watched this team? Overrated to start the season and now a complete meltdown. I was realistic before the season. I knew our o-line sucked which is more than I can say for all the sports writers. Even the ones in Dallas kept talking about how "talented" we were. What team have they been watching? I picked them to go 9-7 against a brutal schedule, but I was expecting them to at least beat Washington and Jacksonville. Now, I think Detroit cleans their clock after the Giant smack them down again. We have may have 5 players on defense that we can build around (Ware, Ratliff, Spencer?, Jenkins?) and 4 on offense (Romo, Witten, Dez, Miles) and some of them may be too old by the time we restock the talent. I don't think there is much to hope for around here till Jerry dies.

November 8, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Kanye West

George Bush hates black people

November 8, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

That's fair. Black people hate George Bush. Too be really fair, W probably sings better than Taylor Swift. Actually, drunk people at a karaoke bar sing better than Taylor Swift. In fact EVERYBODY sings better than Taylor Swift, except Miley Cyrus.

November 8, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  4. SAY WHAT!!!

Just like the American Spirit never dies nor shall America's Team ever give up...GO COWBOYS...

November 8, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

Uh.... I've got some bad news for you. They gave up.

November 8, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  5. The Truth

Move them to LA. I hear they are looking for qa team. The LA Twinkies!!!

November 8, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Texan

That would be a very proper name for them

November 8, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  6. JT

The radiation from the giant TV above them is causing the poor play.

November 8, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  7. George

Bill Cowher for 2011 :D!!

November 8, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

Does Bill Cowher look stupid?

November 8, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Alan

Ha ha ha... I love how all this haters are physically unable to stay away from the Cowboys. It must be sooo irritating that my 1-7 team is more popular than yours. It must really burn Steelers fans that Dallas' five rings are more relevant than their team's six rings. The Cowboys are America's Team because you can't stop talking about them. Win or loose they will always be more popular than your team. Find another page that's this small, with this many posts. I dare you.

November 8, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patrick

You, my friend, are a fool.

November 8, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • JetsFan

Too bad we aren't in high school and popularity doesn't matter. Winning matters.

November 8, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

Well, I have to agree with the obnoxious Cowboy fan. Do you think I EVER go to a JETS website or fan blog? Not likely.

November 8, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  9. The Truth

Only popular because you are the flavor of the day. After that Dallas still sucks!!

November 8, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jessica

I am surpised it was not done sooner then now. LOVE IT. Maybe they should fire the whole team or just disband them all together.

November 8, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jimmy Johnson

Where is Jimmy Johnson when Jerry Jones needs him?

November 8, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  12. mimi

If the Cowboys & Dallas think they America's team, let them think it. We all know the New Orleans Saints are really America's team. Geaux Saints!! Win or lose the Saints fans don't jump ship like in other cities.

November 8, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • dave

America's team wears green with a big ol Eagle on their helmets. Yeah BABY! Philly! Took it to the "sheriff" yesterday, no denying THAT!

November 8, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • cindy

Us true Cowboy fans are NOT jumping ship. We will always be here!

November 8, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • dave

Good for you cindy! 'Sides, what would the rest of the NFL do without the Cowboys around to beat up on and make fun of? We should be grateful.

November 8, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

Lifelong Cowboy fan, but I love the Saints. They're my second team, way before Houston. Love the uniforms (but NOT with the black pants), the logo, the coach, the quarterback. WHO DAT! I know a lot of Saints fans who grew up following the Cowboys as well. Now we're the ones wearing bags on our heads.

November 8, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Redskins Fan

This year I'm truly excited about the Dull-a$$ed Plowboys!

November 8, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Dawn

Screw the Cowturds, I mean "Cowboys"......GO SAINTS!!!! WHO DAT!

November 8, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  15. MOSES

DALLAS COWBOYS ARE BIGGER THAN AMERICA'S TEAM , THEY ARE NFL WORLD TEAM AS MANCHESTER UNITED SOCCER TEAM IN PREMIER LEAGUE . GO COWBOYS !!

November 8, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • dave

Sure dude. They just need some (a lot) of checks in the win collum. And a coach.... and a quarterback... get those and then MAYBE!

November 8, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • SurfKnut

Typical Dallas fan...all hat and no cattle.

November 8, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |