November 8th, 2010

Wade Phillips out as Dallas Cowboys' coach

[Updated at 5:57 p.m. ET] Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones confirmed in a news conference Monday afternoon that Wade Phillips was out as the team's head coach, and that assistant head coach Jason Garrett will lead the team on an interim basis.

Jones also said he is elevating defensive line coach Paul Pasqualoni to defensive coordinator.

"An in-season coaching change is something that I've not done before. It's something that I was reluctant to even consider as late as this this past week. But at this time I believe … what’s in the best interest of the organization and the fans is a coaching change," Jones said.

Jones previously had said that Phillips would finish the season as coach. But Sunday night's 45-7 loss to Green Bay - moving the Cowboys' record this season to 1-7 - helped Jones change his mind.

"I don't like the way [changing my mind] looks stability-wise as far as our organization is concerned – not my own self, but the organization – but I think [the situation] called for it, and I recognized that after the game that we just weren't playing winning football, and our best chance was to make this change," Jones said. "Now with that, I don't apologize to anybody about changing my mind."

Jones said Garrett would have a chance to secure the job long-term - especially if the team has success over the next eight games - and that Garrett has "the temperament [and] the disposition to affect a culture change."

[Original post] Wade Phillips is out as the Dallas Cowboys' head coach following an abysmal performance by the team against the Green Bay Packers on Sunday night, a CNN affiliate and ESPN are reporting.

Many people were expecting the move (some were demanding it), and the search "wade phillips fired" was trending No. 1 on Google on Monday afternoon.

America's Team is off to a 1-7 start, their worst since 1989, after a preseason full of Super Bowl hype. Fans and observers have placed the blame squarely on the team's coaches.

CNN affiliate KTXA in Dallas said offensive coordinator Jason Garrett, an assistant head coach and one-time Cowboys backup quarterback, will take the team's reins.

Phillips, the Cowboy's seventh coach, compiled a 35-24 record in three seasons with Dallas. Only one of those wins came in the playoffs, a 34-14 victory over the Philadelphia Eagles in 2009. Phillips' ouster marks the first time the Cowboys have canned a coach mid-season.

Players told CBS 11 that a team meeting was held at 3 p.m. The Cowboys are scheduled to hold a news conference at 4 p.m.

Owner Jerry Jones has repeatedly said that Phillips would finish the season, but after Sunday's 45-7 shellacking in Green Bay, he said there would be "consequences" for players and coaches.

1. keith

like that wasn't expected......surprised it took him this long to kick him to the curb

November 8, 2010 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Richard Rodriguez

Bring back Jimmy Johnson he'll give the Cowboys another superbowl.

November 8, 2010 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  3. joe

Detroit, Cleveland, K.C., Oakland, Cincinnati...ALL have better records than the Cowpies. Welcome to Bizzaroworld

November 8, 2010 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Cowboy Fan

Im glad Jerry Jones got rid of Wade Phillips but he needs to send Jason Garrett and Romo packing also.. Those 2 suck as well... Get Dungy or Gruden as a new coach and why not go for Michael Vick as QB

November 8, 2010 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • estee

I agree get rid of Romo and Garrett. I think they should have picked up Michael Vick as their QB but anyone is better than Tony Romo.

November 8, 2010 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  5. myopinion

Dallas is a poor excuse for a football team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 8, 2010 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Name*Jbsubmariner

Now all be needs to do is hirie a real coach and not
    a puppet

November 8, 2010 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Paul

"America's Team" Puhleeze. I've hated them ever since they fired Tom Landry without even telling him. Reporters fired him, as he was stepping off a plane in Florida. The organization has always considered itself above the rest, as if god himself deemed it or something. They even stooped so low as to hire Pac Man?!?

November 8, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. mikeyg

Get ride of Brad and hire Wade to lead the Vikings.

November 8, 2010 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Big Ass Jones Truck Rental

Im such a greedy pig! Look at me, I dont care about my team, just how much cash is in my wallet! I fire coaches mid season, cause Im managing the team, rather than the Coach. Why bother with Coaches? They take all the blame when the team does bad, and when they do good, I get praised! Howd you like that? Im filthy rich and nobody can do anything about me, cause Im the owner! Bah! Look at me...all you can do is complain and Im rolling in my cash 😀 XD XD

November 8, 2010 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Deidra

Look Jerry Jones needs to swallow his pride if he have any left. And pay Mr. Jimmy Johnson what ever he wants. After he apologizes to Mr. Johnson, cause Mr. Garrett is not the man either. That new stadium has been nothing but bad luck Jerry should have taken some of that money and paid the players what they're worth.

November 8, 2010 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  11. gw

All this anger over a sports team? Get a life.

November 8, 2010 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  12. meeeeeee

the cowboys are only playing this season for draft picks! lol. too bad we couldn't fire Jerry!

November 8, 2010 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  13. DisplacedMic

What do you call 49 millionaires watching the Superbowl?

The Dallas Cowboys

November 8, 2010 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Night Train

Hey Cowboy fans don't feel so bad the other Texas team (Texans) have the same problem, a terrible Coach. He needs to go too!

November 8, 2010 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Kawuku

Dallas is the most overrated mediocre team ... its not fun at all none of the players are exciting to watch...they never get the right pics from the draft that one needs to get fired...Y we talk about them i wonder ? ... I know this is the last time i am...the glory days are gone they should start from scratch Ervin,Smith,Sanders and Troy are retired please wake up and start a fresh to gain the American pride but now they are not the Nations team plz no 1-7 at the 7-11 will not register!

November 8, 2010 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |