November 8th, 2010

Wade Phillips out as Dallas Cowboys' coach

[Updated at 5:57 p.m. ET] Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones confirmed in a news conference Monday afternoon that Wade Phillips was out as the team's head coach, and that assistant head coach Jason Garrett will lead the team on an interim basis.

Jones also said he is elevating defensive line coach Paul Pasqualoni to defensive coordinator.

"An in-season coaching change is something that I've not done before. It's something that I was reluctant to even consider as late as this this past week. But at this time I believe … what’s in the best interest of the organization and the fans is a coaching change," Jones said.

Jones previously had said that Phillips would finish the season as coach. But Sunday night's 45-7 loss to Green Bay - moving the Cowboys' record this season to 1-7 - helped Jones change his mind.

"I don't like the way [changing my mind] looks stability-wise as far as our organization is concerned – not my own self, but the organization – but I think [the situation] called for it, and I recognized that after the game that we just weren't playing winning football, and our best chance was to make this change," Jones said. "Now with that, I don't apologize to anybody about changing my mind."

Jones said Garrett would have a chance to secure the job long-term - especially if the team has success over the next eight games - and that Garrett has "the temperament [and] the disposition to affect a culture change."

[Original post] Wade Phillips is out as the Dallas Cowboys' head coach following an abysmal performance by the team against the Green Bay Packers on Sunday night, a CNN affiliate and ESPN are reporting.

Many people were expecting the move (some were demanding it), and the search "wade phillips fired" was trending No. 1 on Google on Monday afternoon.

America's Team is off to a 1-7 start, their worst since 1989, after a preseason full of Super Bowl hype. Fans and observers have placed the blame squarely on the team's coaches.

CNN affiliate KTXA in Dallas said offensive coordinator Jason Garrett, an assistant head coach and one-time Cowboys backup quarterback, will take the team's reins.

Phillips, the Cowboy's seventh coach, compiled a 35-24 record in three seasons with Dallas. Only one of those wins came in the playoffs, a 34-14 victory over the Philadelphia Eagles in 2009. Phillips' ouster marks the first time the Cowboys have canned a coach mid-season.

Players told CBS 11 that a team meeting was held at 3 p.m. The Cowboys are scheduled to hold a news conference at 4 p.m.

Owner Jerry Jones has repeatedly said that Phillips would finish the season, but after Sunday's 45-7 shellacking in Green Bay, he said there would be "consequences" for players and coaches.

1. Larry Cohen

Lucky Wade, he can leave and get paid. These poor thugs that actually pretends to play on Sundays, they have to stay. Good luck to the new Warden in Dallas, Jason Garrett. How do you make 53 self centered egomaniacs play as a team? YOU CAN'T!!

November 8, 2010 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Lulu

Tony, are you busy next week? Call me...xo.oxoxox

November 8, 2010 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  3. NoInglish

"to affect a change" - really? Another case of bad grammar on our new sites...

November 8, 2010 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Chris

Too bad Romo did not get let go too!!
    Romo has talent but lacks leadership
    Cowboys should get rid for Tony Romo!!

November 8, 2010 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  5. spockelf

Let's see. The Cowboys offense has been one of the most pathetic in the NFL. So who do the Cowboys promote? Why the offensive coordinator of course! Typical Jerry Jones logic and another disastrous coaching decision.

November 8, 2010 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Sports Fan

Amazing to me the double standard that exists. Bobby Petrino quits as coach of the Atlanta Falcons in the middle of the season and is villified by the media, players, and fellow coaches. Yet, owners have the right to fire those same coaches in the middle of the season. Don't villify coaches like Petrino as long as jerks like Jones pull the same crap.

November 8, 2010 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  7. hillz

On behalf of the however many Dallasites that don't watch or care about the cowboys, we hate the "America's Team" slogan as well, along with JErry Jones as the owner. He can take that spaceship of a stadium and fly elsewhere.

Please don't lump us all into the same category as a bunch of thick-necked imbeciles.

November 8, 2010 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  8. @ ET a.k.a. Mr. Knowitall

Don't u ever just shut the fv(k up..you sure think you know everything..get over yourself d0u(hebag..can't even have a discussion on here because you can't shut ur fv(king mouth

November 9, 2010 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  9. dfwgambler

I don't think much will change in the win column with Garrett at the helm, so at least it will help us in the draft.

November 9, 2010 at 1:11 am | Report abuse |
  10. cam

ima cowboy all day everyday WE WILL BE BACK

November 9, 2010 at 4:54 am | Report abuse |
  11. Childhood Cowboy Fan But No More

For several years now, I have read reports that when Jones has a few bourbons, he starts LOUDLY telling anyone who will listen, "I could coach this team. Oh, I could coach this team!" He even did it when he had winning teams, contenders, and a quality program.

Jerry...go ahead and take the final step. Coach the team yourself and show us all what a goober you are.

November 9, 2010 at 5:31 am | Report abuse |
  12. kite005

Wilf you're not going to let Jerry Jones have all the attention are you?

November 9, 2010 at 6:21 am | Report abuse |
  13. phil

During the Cowboy's famous losing-streak, I attended one of the homegames in their new (then) stadium. There was this old man and his small dog sitting next to me, all duded up in their Cowboy garb. Each time the 'boys got a first-down or scored a TD, this little dog went bonkers! Barking and running around in circles. I told this old man his doggy was cute, and asked what his dog did when the Cowboys actually won a game. His reply..."I don't really know. I've only owned him for a few months"

November 9, 2010 at 6:55 am | Report abuse |
  14. nojerry

jerry expressed his deep concerns about what is best for the organization and the fans!!! but he omitted the best step,
    and that would be him selling the team or stepping down as manager.........and oh yeah, taking Jason Garrett with him!

November 9, 2010 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
  15. Bevo Grievo

Mack Brown are you listening?

November 9, 2010 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |