November 8th, 2010

Wade Phillips out as Dallas Cowboys' coach

[Updated at 5:57 p.m. ET] Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones confirmed in a news conference Monday afternoon that Wade Phillips was out as the team's head coach, and that assistant head coach Jason Garrett will lead the team on an interim basis.

Jones also said he is elevating defensive line coach Paul Pasqualoni to defensive coordinator.

"An in-season coaching change is something that I've not done before. It's something that I was reluctant to even consider as late as this this past week. But at this time I believe … what’s in the best interest of the organization and the fans is a coaching change," Jones said.

Jones previously had said that Phillips would finish the season as coach. But Sunday night's 45-7 loss to Green Bay - moving the Cowboys' record this season to 1-7 - helped Jones change his mind.

"I don't like the way [changing my mind] looks stability-wise as far as our organization is concerned – not my own self, but the organization – but I think [the situation] called for it, and I recognized that after the game that we just weren't playing winning football, and our best chance was to make this change," Jones said. "Now with that, I don't apologize to anybody about changing my mind."

Jones said Garrett would have a chance to secure the job long-term - especially if the team has success over the next eight games - and that Garrett has "the temperament [and] the disposition to affect a culture change."

[Original post] Wade Phillips is out as the Dallas Cowboys' head coach following an abysmal performance by the team against the Green Bay Packers on Sunday night, a CNN affiliate and ESPN are reporting.

Many people were expecting the move (some were demanding it), and the search "wade phillips fired" was trending No. 1 on Google on Monday afternoon.

America's Team is off to a 1-7 start, their worst since 1989, after a preseason full of Super Bowl hype. Fans and observers have placed the blame squarely on the team's coaches.

CNN affiliate KTXA in Dallas said offensive coordinator Jason Garrett, an assistant head coach and one-time Cowboys backup quarterback, will take the team's reins.

Phillips, the Cowboy's seventh coach, compiled a 35-24 record in three seasons with Dallas. Only one of those wins came in the playoffs, a 34-14 victory over the Philadelphia Eagles in 2009. Phillips' ouster marks the first time the Cowboys have canned a coach mid-season.

Players told CBS 11 that a team meeting was held at 3 p.m. The Cowboys are scheduled to hold a news conference at 4 p.m.

Owner Jerry Jones has repeatedly said that Phillips would finish the season, but after Sunday's 45-7 shellacking in Green Bay, he said there would be "consequences" for players and coaches.

1. Joe1964

Yeah right ..... America's team. Give me a break Let's look at their history. Gun toting, coke snorting, rapists. Real role models. Just perfect for today's youth.

You Dallas fans can keep them all for yourselves. We're not interested.

November 8, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Julie

I will gladly keep them an they are no worse then any other football team regarding their actions off the field. Acually ther are alot worse.

November 8, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Steve

NOOOO, Big mistake !! Yes, Wade needed to go but so does Garrett. Jason is the problem as well. He is the one who is so predictable on calling the same plays.

November 8, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Diehard

Can you say Bill Cowher?

November 8, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jill

AH Hello!!!!! The Real America's team kicked their A last night....GO Pack GO!!!!

November 8, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bored...

Maybe instead of "Amerca's Team", they should now be called "America's Losers". It would be more appropriate.

November 8, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Charles

Not only are they not America's team, the rest of the country can't stand them!

November 8, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Julie

Wow you speak for the whole country??

November 8, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • America's Team? Not

Julie, by now you must have noticed that out of over 120 posts, you are the ONLY one person sticking up for the team. I get it, I get where you are coming from. However, it would be my hope that someone such as yourself could see just how arrogant that statement is. America's Team? Neither you, or the rediculous owner of the team, can support that name. One more thing, I would LOVE to hear your take on JJ. In my opinion, you really don't need a coach since he mandates everything that happens on the field.

November 8, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tyrone Shoelace

Uh...hello Dufus! Julie is not the only one taking up for the Cowboys, can't you read? I agree that they are having a bad season and that changes need to be made, quick! But if eveyone would slow down a little and realize that the name "America's Team" comes from the number of people who tune in to their games every week, and the amount of Dallas Cowboy merchandise purchased every year. Which is far more than any other team in the league, including the Packers, Saints, Colts, and every other team. It would be safe to say that the most watched, and supported team would be called the most popular, thus being America's Team! Go Julie! I think I love you!

November 8, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • America's Team? Not

OK Tyrone and Julie. I concede the point. There are actually 2 of you defending the "America's Team" moniker. So if your point is that they sell more crap than other NFL teams, which I can only assume is true, then there you have it. Still doesn't make them America's Team, but may make them America's most marketed team.

November 8, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • COWBOYS_FAN_4_LIFE

Make that three!!!

November 8, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  7. E-A-G-L-E-S

I hate the Cowboys but I feel bad for Wade. His whole team plays like crap and he is the fall guy. You fans want change y'all better get rid of skeletor!

November 8, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Rick

Send # 21 packing. He looks more like a bull fighter then a defensive back. The only way he would tackel anyone is if they ran into him.

November 8, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • COWBOYS_FAN_4_LIFE

I'm gonna have to disagree with you. Mike Jenkins was a pro bowl pick last year, don't get it twisted. All in all we are just playing bad this season. The talent is there, he just needs to step it up

November 8, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Dave

America's Team is not Dallas more like the Green Bay Packers The Packers are the only non-profit, community-owned franchise in American professional sports major leagues. No insane owner

November 8, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Gail

Wade to be Buffalo Bills next Coach ? at least Dallas was 1-7; Buffalo 0-8

November 8, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  11. yankee cowboy

They looked awful in preseason. I'm surprised they actually won one game!

And no, I'm not a Cowboys fan, despite my handle.

November 8, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Bad Move

Garrett? Really???!!! C'mon Man!!! The offense was consistently bad the entire season. Promoting Garrett sends a message to the team that if you do a crappy job, you'll be rewarded... What is wrong with Jerry, he's making Al Davis look superhuman...

November 8, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jarh

Wade Phillips seems to be a good man, just not head coach material in the NFL. Given the team's performance on defense, I am not sure he is a good defensive coordinator at this point. That said, he was in a bad situation in Dallas. He was not even allowed to select his own staff. This season is the new reality for the Cowboys if Jerry continues to call all the shots with the team. He needs to also fire himself as GM. However, his ego will never let that happen.

November 8, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  14. E-A-G-L-E-S

God help us all if they are America's team. What a joke! There is no such thing as America's team which is why football sundays are fun.

November 8, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Rudedog

Yeah Joe1964, todays rolemodels just send pics of their penis to reporters who have no interest in them, while he's married.

November 8, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |