November 8th, 2010

World's tallest Jesus statue completed

Workers in Poland finished erecting the world's tallest statue of Jesus over the weekend, a 170-foot (52-meter) giant that towers over the countryside near Swiebodzin.

"This is the culmination of my life's work as a priest. I felt inspired to fulfill Jesus' will, and today I give thanks to him for allowing me to fulfill his will," Father Zawadzki said after the head was attached by a 700-ton crane, according to a report from the Warsaw Business Journal.

A crane places the head on the world's tallest Jesus statue this weekend in Poland.

The height of the plaster and fiberglass Polish statue surpasses the 40.4-meter (133-foot) Cristo de la Concordia in Cochabamba, Bolivia, and the 39.6-meter (130-foot) Christ the Redeemer statue in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, according to news reports.

Local officials in the town of 21,000 people hope it will be a tourist attraction.

"More people will visit Swiebodzin and leave their money," Radio Poland quoted Dariusz Bekisz, the mayor of Swiebodzin, as saying.

The cost of the statue was covered by local donations, according to the Krakow Post. It will be officially consecrated on November 21.

Post by:
Filed under: Art • Poland • Religion • World
  1. Kyle

This is a huge waste of money. Its time America stopped with these fairytails.

November 8, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kyle

As well as the rest of the world.

November 8, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rbnlegnd101

Technically, Poland is not actually part of America.

November 8, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Dave

When will people grow up and realize that Christianity is a man made myth. Learn your religion. Educate yourselves people. Time to grow up and join us in 2010......most of the "Jesus story" never even happened. Thank God for that.

November 8, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sarah

It's telling you say most; meaning you can not discount all....hmm.

November 8, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  3. tyler

god jesus and the holy spearite are all the same thing same person u all need to study the bible a little harder

November 8, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  4. man made

Cool statue. Now we need one for Santa and the Easter Bunny.

November 8, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gabe

Don't forget the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

November 9, 2010 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  5. Dizzy Buzz

Supersized Jesus is Heaven on Earth...for pigeons.

November 8, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • macintrance

Holly crap!

November 8, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  6. tom

I know this is not what Jesus looked like. Why are people today still dispalying Him like this. Where is the "... hair like lambs wool..."

November 8, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • man made

I don't like my white jesus to have that filthy arab-jew hair.

November 8, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  7. STLBroker

First, this is not an example of idolatry as some have claimed on here. Christians will continue to worship the living Jesus, not a representation of Him. Second, Jesus IS God just as the Holy Spirit IS God. Thirdly, the holy trinity is definitely discussed in the Bible. God the father sent his Son and upon ascending to heaven, Jesus sent the Comforter or Holy Spirit. All three manifestations of the same being, God.

As to the aesthetic value of the statue. A little over the top for my taste. Besides, Jesus probably doesn't look like that. He was after all Jewish so most likely had short dark curly hair. That said, he can look like anything he wants to look like being God and all.

Lastly, I believe Mohammed to be a false prophet. So anything he had to say I completely discount as lies.

November 8, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  8. James Scott

Thou shall not make unto thee any graven image, orany likeness of any thing that is in heaven above,or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the waters under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the farthers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me: And showing mercy to the thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

November 8, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Al

The only problem I have with this statue is the incredibly tacky-looking crown they topped it off with.

November 8, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  10. jeeper

I'm sick of the followers of Jesus. They have done nothing but pervert the teachings of Jesus. For everyone they have helped they have hurt someone else.

November 8, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • J2

So true. If he came down to earth right now, like he wouldn't be kicking over the coin tables at the modern mega churches with mega TV's and gold encrusted Vatican. They would all never recognize him and think he's the crazy one for rebelling against their largess. silly "christians" who don't get his real message.

November 8, 2010 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  11. gg

I GET IT. IT'S A NEW PORT-A-POTTY , COOL

November 8, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Steve

Jesus was a Jew.

November 8, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  13. KDW31

Stop trolling. Or, if you are trying to be sincere, at the very least attempt to write something remotely coherent. One can not be Jewish, Atheist, and Satanist at the same time. Jesus and all his disciples were Jewish and he was executed by the authority of the Roman Empire. Only crazy people or anti-semites blame his death on the Jewish people. Technically since it was his mission to die for people's sins it would be all of humanity's or God's fault depending on how you like to assign blame.

November 8, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  14. steveo

So I guess Christians in Poland see absolutely not other humanitarian use for the money used to build this statue? Instead of helping others that are suffering around the world they would rather erect this statue? I would not call these people Christians at all, more like Pharisees to me.

November 8, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • DSolomon

And what have you done to help the poor lately?

November 8, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • BMX2010

To all of the nonbeleivers, fyi: Jesus is God. He is the son of God and part of the Holy Trinity. Yes he came to this earth and walked around. Then after He died He rose from the dead and went back to Heaven. It's ok if you don't believe, we who do will pray for you so you don't end up in an eternally dark place.

November 8, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • steveo

@BMX2010 Please do not pray for me. If the bible is truth then I want nothing to do with the heaven portrayed in the bible. I have already had enough of hearing about the Christian god throughout my life as an American; the last thing I want is that to be my afterlife. Please let him send me to Hell.

@DSolomon I'm sure much more than these people have.

November 8, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  15. JCampbell

The end of dogma is the birth of reality.

November 8, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |