November 8th, 2010

World's tallest Jesus statue completed

Workers in Poland finished erecting the world's tallest statue of Jesus over the weekend, a 170-foot (52-meter) giant that towers over the countryside near Swiebodzin.

"This is the culmination of my life's work as a priest. I felt inspired to fulfill Jesus' will, and today I give thanks to him for allowing me to fulfill his will," Father Zawadzki said after the head was attached by a 700-ton crane, according to a report from the Warsaw Business Journal.

A crane places the head on the world's tallest Jesus statue this weekend in Poland.

The height of the plaster and fiberglass Polish statue surpasses the 40.4-meter (133-foot) Cristo de la Concordia in Cochabamba, Bolivia, and the 39.6-meter (130-foot) Christ the Redeemer statue in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, according to news reports.

Local officials in the town of 21,000 people hope it will be a tourist attraction.

"More people will visit Swiebodzin and leave their money," Radio Poland quoted Dariusz Bekisz, the mayor of Swiebodzin, as saying.

The cost of the statue was covered by local donations, according to the Krakow Post. It will be officially consecrated on November 21.

Post by:
Filed under: Art • Poland • Religion • World
  1. jimvsmij

Jesus had curlier hair than that, oh, and an unplucked unibrow.

November 8, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jay

They should have made it look like the "Buddy Christ" from Dogma.

November 8, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Whyzzer 1

Nicea 325. AD

November 8, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  4. kevin

although I do understand what Nick is trying to say, its a little misguided... The people of moses constructed a golden calf to idolize and according to them, they NEEDED that structure to be able to worship their god and i think thats the point, I dont mean to be offensive but i lived in south america for 3 years and a lot of the catholics down there live with mary statues in and around the house and figurines of other "catholic saints" claiming that they "need" those things to protect their house and faith.... but according to my biblical knowledge, that is the thing that god frowns upon, we don't need any man made object to connect us to god, he will protect us if that is his plan, sometimes when something cruel happens we assume that god wasnt protecting us or what not, but this time we have on earth is but a fraction of the time we will spend with him in the after life.

November 8, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Harry from Sand Lake MI

I'm putting in a 172 foot tall statue of Santa, right next to the 171 foot tall easter bunny I put in last year! So there. They are about the same meaning and importance. Its all someone else telling you how to live your life and using some all-knowing, mythically powered overlord to get you to obey. Don't be a sheep and follow this crap!

November 8, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jonathan

Out of curiosity, how does this not go completely in the face of the "No graven image" clause?

November 8, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Wow

This article is doing exactly what it is intended to do – draw attention to the savior. JESUS SAVES.

November 8, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bettman sucks

Jesus saves... but Gretzky gets the rebound!! He shoots!! HE SCORES!!!

November 9, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  8. MJS

LOL.... SCOFFFFFF. LOL SCOFF. well, whatever, as long as you guys are busy on Sunday mornings so i can get my Bob Evans or Big Boy breakfast faster, I don't care what you believe.

November 8, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Pan3

Jesus who?

November 8, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  10. GodLovesYouAll

All you non believers flock to articles like this because you are afraid. You are afraid to die. You are afraid of judgement day. You are human. God will forgive you. God loves you all. Speak your minds. It's ok. No offense should be take by those who believe.

November 8, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • CSnord

I have no fear of death and no doubt at all that it is coming. I take comfort in the fact that, when I die, it will just be lights out. no after life; no meeting up with dead friends and relatives I don't want to see again. I'm cool with that and do not need a mythical support system to give "meaning" to my life. So far as I can tell, the only reason ANY being is created on this Earth is to be food for some other being. That includes humans and is just how the carbon cycle works.

I contend that was are both atheists - I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you finally understand why you reject the gods of all the other religions, then you'll understand why I reject your god.

November 8, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Will

@CSnord...Just a question..how do you know what you believe is true?

November 8, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yoda

Because there is nothing to repudiate that science. And until there is its the truth. We are made of Carbon that has been proven by studying it. No further look into whether God is real or not takes place. The white guys wrote you a book and you believe it and have for 1800 years. Nothing further. Just look up at Canada right now. they say there is a weeping Mary there, but no one is going to attempt at finding out why its weeping because that would be exposing the truth. Thus abolishing the fantasy. Continue down the road resting on the fact that it is impossible to prove something doesn't exist in.

November 8, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  11. yaeger

This man is obviously delusional. I seriously doubt that this statue has anything to do at all with Jesus' will.

November 8, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  12. 3vix6

Hey... Where's the 70 foot tall statue of Zeus? or the Flying Spaghetti Monster?

November 8, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • angie

Maybe you should erect one.

November 8, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • JRH

My Jeeezus is bigger than your Jeeeezus!!

November 8, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • The West

The West is declining with the rise of atheism. Thanks a lot guys!

November 8, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • paul

theres plenty of god in the middle east for you.

November 8, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • MadPanda

Declining? What exactly is declining? And how does it have to do with religion?

November 8, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • 3vix6

@thewest: The west is finally figuring out what kind of lies we've been raised with about the Christian faith and their "truth". The real truth is that we don't know and none of us probably will ever know! All the wars and death in the name of your gods makes me sick. Let Atheism/Agnosticism rise and maybe we can finally put the bible where it belongs, in the Literary Fiction section of the Barnes and Noble book store! Right next to the Greek/Egyptian/Roman myths it so blatently rips off!

Keep waiting for Jesus... He isn't coming.

November 8, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • MrManny

hmm spaghetti monster, makes me crave spaghetti

November 8, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • lachappelle

JRH is on the right track: people are ridiculous....Jesus wasnt about outdoing one another, in fact his message was precisely the opposite. SO, putting up ever taller Jesus statues in the interest of outdoing each other and being the 'biggest', the 'best,' the 'highest,' or whatever, is actually an abomination and a disgrace to him. And you can apply the same reasoning to elaborate and unfathomably expensive gold plated churches, and whatever else the church spends money on in the interest of putting on a show. Jesus would have wanted that money spent feeding people.

November 8, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Texas Pete

I am pretty sure Jesus would not have approved of this.

November 8, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • saganhill

@TheWest.... If anything the western civilizations will florish with the fall of religion. Its been a thorn in societies side for 1000's of years.

November 8, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • saganhill

Where is jesus? Wasnt he supoosed to be here by now? I mean, cmon here, people been saying he is to rise year after year, century after century...I think he's a no-show. Probably out drinking with George Jones.

November 8, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • DocLowery

The was funny from the west.............

November 8, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • zavi13

I wish I could put up a statue of flying spaghetti monster, he's the greatest!

November 8, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Technically, aren't these "statues" idols? Same with those that most churches have. Aren't you suppose to pray and embrace the real Jesus and God not interputed images of them? Seems like idol worship. I guess as long as its an idol belonging to the Christian faith it all okay. It always seemed strange to me.

On another note, quite an accomplishment for the artists that worked on it.

November 8, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • jason nelson

TOURIST ATTRACTION...? W T F ?

November 8, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • hk0729

what is that point?

November 8, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • palermo

This has to be one of the ugliest statues in the world, if nothing else. At least when you see at Corcovado you are in Rio.

November 8, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • MH

Well, I am an agnostic leaning toward atheist, but I still find this kinda cool.
      I like any sort of large statue though. Just as I can find beauty in large statues of Egyptian gods, so can I find interest and appreciation for monoliths to any other religion or idea. If this were a large statue of some hindu god I bet a lot less people would be sounding off about it here. More power to anyone who wants to do stuff like this I say. Im not going to go worship Egypts Sphyx, nor will I worship or idolize any other large statue – they are cool to look at though.
      Fine by me.

November 8, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • 3vix6

"Just as I can find beauty in large statues of Egyptian gods, so can I find interest and appreciation for monoliths to any other religion or idea. If this were a large statue of some hindu god I bet a lot less people would be sounding off about it here. More power to anyone who wants to do stuff like this I say. Im not going to go worship Egypts Sphyx, nor will I worship or idolize any other large statue..."

And just like the Sphynx, this statue will be a testament to the era that we were living in... and will be what's left after the Gods we believe in today disappear after they're found to be false.

November 8, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • TempGuest

@ 3vix6
      I'm guessing you live in the US? What do you think this country was founded on?... it was Christian morals. We're starting to stray from that.

@Joe You are following a misconception regarding these statues as idols. People don't worship these statues. They are a reminder of Jesus. I'm sure you probably carry pictures to some regard of your loved ones? I bet you don't worship those pictures, but they are a reminder of people you love. Also, I believe God commanded that statues be put in the Temple in the Old Testament days, which was the holiest place on earth. He wouldn't have commanded this if all statues were idols.

It is the worshiping of statues that is idolatry, and idolatry is a grave sin; breaking one of the Ten Commandments. Hope that clears it up.

Peace

November 9, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  13. jeff

jesus was not white Mr Priest. Stop making him look something he is not.

November 8, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • shantavia heggins

thank you omg i just posted that finally someone who see's the biggest mistake of this whole mess

November 8, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Correct! Jesus was an olive-skinned Jew.

November 8, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • MadPanda

It seriously cracks me up that he is always depicted that way. People just believe what they WANT to believe it seems.

November 8, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • anonymous2

Is this statue painted? Doesn't look like it to me, the facial features doesnt resemble any one particular race either... I'm not saying that Jesus was white, and being from that region of the world it would be ridiculous to assume that he was, but do you honestly believe that the priest told the sculptors to make him look like a 'white man'? oh wait, you probably do...

November 8, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • C

He wasn't 170ft tall either. It's called an icon. Buy a clue.

November 8, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • TempGuest

Does it matter what people think Jesus looked like? He probably was a "darker" skinned person, but that doesn't take away from His greatness if people make art of Him otherwise. Nobody knows what Jesus looked like.

November 9, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  14. charity

what a waste of resources ... how many poor people could that have helped to feed?

Our Jesus statue is bigger than your Jesus statue – repulsive.

November 8, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lexx

I completely agree

November 8, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jack

Who cares how many can be fed if they are without Christ in their lives they are going to Hell anyway so they might as well starve to death. This is the most important thing built in our life time.

November 8, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Richie P

You spend money that could have been donated to feed the poor for a computer and internet connection, just so you can criticize other people who spend their own money to build something they like. Very nice.

November 8, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • GRR

I think it may turn out to be a good allocation of resources. If this does as the Mayor of the region hopes and acts as a tourist attraction it will generate a lot of business for the people in the area and they will finally be able to properly provide for themselves. Its clearly an exploitation of religion and isn't what Jesus stands for by any means but I think its a more effective use of money in the long run than just providing food for the people.

In the modern world I think that this actually might be the only good thing that religion can offer.

November 8, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Chris Rode

It's things like this that make me sick. Sorry, but if we did this in America, I would be so livid that my tax dollars would be used to erect something that is so ridiculous. Of course, this is my opinion, and I'll get so many comments saying "Jesus is lord, blah blah blah..." but I'm not concerned. I'm not one to believe in imaginary friends. So sayeth my 1st Amendment rights.

November 8, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • MrsFreeze

It says right in the last paragraph that it was paid for by donations, not tax payer money.

November 8, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jamie

@Chris
      It was private donations, not tax dollars. First Amendment allows free exercise. Keep in mind, however, that this was in Poland, not America. No one in America forces you to believe in Jesus, Buddha, or whomever...

November 8, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Just sayin'

Chris, the cost of the statue was covered by local donations not by taxes. Please read the artical before commenting in order to save your dignity.

November 8, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • MadPanda

"No one in America forces you to believe in Jesus, Buddha, or whomever..."

Except your parents that is. ZING!

November 8, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Johannes

sure, but this was made through public donations.. NOT tax dollars.... charity seems to be right. The US has fought 2 trillion dollar wars.

November 8, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Elijah

November 8, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Richie P

No doubt, you're livid about a lot of things bacause of your own ignorance. You assume this was paid for by tax dollars even though it clearly was built by people who wanted it and paid for it because you think only you should have freedom of religion.

November 8, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • flyboy67109

@MadPanda

Actually, your parents can't make you believe anything. They can force you to go to church and say your prayers. But, if you don't believe, you don't believe. That's why it's called free will. That's how God intended it. (And for those that say God and Jesus aren't the same, read John 10:30 )

November 8, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • 3vix6

"@Elijah: Jesus isnt imaginary though dude, he really existed and so did the people who wrote the 1st Amendment but you've never seen or met them either so are they imaginary? You might wanna rethink your statement lol."

Name one writing that was ACTUALLY written by Jesus... Can't? Exactly. There is evidence through people who met the founding fathers, diaries that were written by the founding fathers, signitures from the founding fathers, and writings about them from both the people who hated the founding fathers and were on thier side. There is evidence of their existance. There is very little if any evidence for Jesus Christ's existance out side the bible that wasn't either fabricated or written by Christians.. Much of it was written 30 years after his supposed death (Which, I and many others don't believe happened).

If he was that great, he would have had quite a bit written about him... But, if you looked at other religions, Jesus wasn't the first to walk on water, or be born of a Virgin.

Maybe YOU should rethink your statement.

November 8, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • TempGuest

@3vix6
      The writings in the Bible was inspired by the Holy Spirit, the third person of the Trinity (God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit). There are writings of Religous, pagans, and enemies all trying to refute Jesus in the early days after Jesus. The Apostles and Early Church Fathers were all martyred for their belief in Jesus Christ.

Name another person who was made up that pulled this much attention. Perhaps you should check out this link: http://www.4marks.com/videos/details.html?video_id=1668

November 9, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |