November 8th, 2010

World's tallest Jesus statue completed

Workers in Poland finished erecting the world's tallest statue of Jesus over the weekend, a 170-foot (52-meter) giant that towers over the countryside near Swiebodzin.

"This is the culmination of my life's work as a priest. I felt inspired to fulfill Jesus' will, and today I give thanks to him for allowing me to fulfill his will," Father Zawadzki said after the head was attached by a 700-ton crane, according to a report from the Warsaw Business Journal.

A crane places the head on the world's tallest Jesus statue this weekend in Poland.

The height of the plaster and fiberglass Polish statue surpasses the 40.4-meter (133-foot) Cristo de la Concordia in Cochabamba, Bolivia, and the 39.6-meter (130-foot) Christ the Redeemer statue in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, according to news reports.

Local officials in the town of 21,000 people hope it will be a tourist attraction.

"More people will visit Swiebodzin and leave their money," Radio Poland quoted Dariusz Bekisz, the mayor of Swiebodzin, as saying.

The cost of the statue was covered by local donations, according to the Krakow Post. It will be officially consecrated on November 21.

Post by:
Filed under: Art • Poland • Religion • World
  1. :)

Awwwwwwwwwwww. God loves you too 🙂

November 8, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Godsalive

I would like to say I understand your frustration with "Christians", but please don't judge our perfect and loving God by the actions of his imperfect and sinful supporters. We are all just human, but that doesn't change who God is. Someday all will come to understand this, unfortunately for some it will be to late. Please just don't discard Christ because of all of our faults.

November 8, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Babak from LA

No I discard Christ because of his faults not mine.

November 8, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • There are no gods

u r crazy. talk to your own imaginary friends on your own time, stop trying to bring the rest of us in to it. There are no gods.

November 8, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Godsalive

You are right there are no gods, There is just 1 God and that will not change whether you believe in Him or not. But why don't you grab a bible and do some research, it can't hurt. If you find it to be wrong you have lost nothing, if however you find even a little bit of truth it could change your life and your eternity. Just a thought!

November 8, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Simplicity

The bible is a great story written by many great authors. you believe what you want we will believe what we want...its people that force religion down others throats and into their lives that has caused the most problems, plus it is exactly that, a belief..

November 8, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • conoclast

Nice thought; I think you really mean well. You're a credit to the religious camp!

November 8, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Snarf Fardle

What an inane statement. There's no proof that there is one god or many gods or no god.

November 8, 2010 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bleem

I'm glad that ignorance is bliss in your reality. But your religion was manmade. You do not have a clue, and are latching on to the nearest explanation to why you exist. It does NOT matter what you believe. Happiness is what counts,so I'm glad your happy. But you are wasting your existance. Please put away the names,dogma,fairey tales,ego,greed and fear of death. Wake up from your trance!

November 9, 2010 at 2:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Julie

I don't see how you can call it a waste of existence, when Christianity is based on helping the less fortunate, respecting creation etc.......

November 9, 2010 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
    • IMHO

@there are no gods...if that is how u feel, then why are you commenting on a story that is pertinent to those who have faith in God and Christ? Spew ur atheist garbage on another forum.

November 8, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Seriously

Do you have any idea how crazy you religious people sound? YOu just KNOW you're it right... you're god is the best god... your god is the most perfect god. All other gods are false gods. That's about as crazy of a statement as anyone could ever make... yet you make it time and time again and never learn. You can't see past your own dillusions. It's a disease and you need help. How is it you've got it right and a majority of the world has different gods??? and they are wrong? It's like a twisted sport where you score goals based on nothing but who's bull$#!% sticks longer and harder than the opposite teams.

November 8, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Julie

Except the fact that only the Christian religion has VOLUNTEERS that go all over the world to help others....and are happy to do it!!

November 8, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • IMHO

My point exactly

November 8, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • SC

Amen sister. Spread the love its more powerful than their hate and it burns them up to know its true

November 8, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Annunaki

Faith-based help is more akin to coercion.

November 8, 2010 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cameron

You're an idiot, Julie. Some of the biggest charities in the world are secular, some are even of the Jewish or Muslim faith! Don't be so arrogant to think that only Christians have charities. While there are many Christian charities, at least Secular charities give to the poor and needy because they are poor and needy. Christians are charitable because they want something from it, an afterlife in heaven. That, or they're afraid, afraid of eternal punishment.

Atheists give to the poor because it is the right thing to do, Christians give to the poor because they want something in return for doing so or are afraid.

November 9, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Julie

Cameron, please tell me the names of these other charities...I seriously have not heard of any...and I don't volunteer out of fear...that rhymes actually. I do it because I want to. I'm pretty sure you must not be Kirk Cameron...hehehe

November 9, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Julie

Cameron, I apologize...I did just think of some, and I actually am involved with the following, although they may be Chrisitian and I don't know it....Komens; Vietnam Vets; American Cancer Society; Buddy Walk; Walk and Roll...so I stand corrected, but I am sad to inform you that a lot of my Christian friends and I are involved with these secular charities also.....

November 9, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Godsalive

@Seriously
      Yes I am crazy, and I do make crazy statements about my one God who is better then all other gods. That is what believing and faith is all about. Could I even call myself a christian if i thought that muslims and buddhists were right too. You can't believe in 2 contradictory statements at the same time. The crazy thoughts as you so put it is the fact that we christians actually believe in something, rather than not believing an anything. Do you honestly believe when you die that is it, we no longer exist, and if you don't believe that than you better hope that the christians are not right. but hey, it's your life, your eternity, your soul, your choice. Have at it!

November 8, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • mnsoldier

so you acknowledge other gods, that is against your religion and thus sending you to hell. too bad so sad. Fools fools fools. wake up and smell the poo. religions and believing in "gods" is day one man. placing the mysteries of life and death in the lap of a god as the answer all allows man to sleep at night and move on with life.
      As we learn more we know that god did not create the earth and that is was just a natural occurance and life formed, not over night or with a snap of fingers. the booming voice was the big bang and not god.

November 8, 2010 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • asrael

You had me at "I am crazy"...

November 8, 2010 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • schnekv

There's no such thing as a soul...we are now seeing the results of modern brain imaging along with the neurological processes that explain away all behavior, emotional regulation, and everything else that anybody has ever tried to associate with the existence of a soul.

November 9, 2010 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
    • chelseykia

That there is no life after death, and that the human body is made up of organic matter is not a thesis – it is a gamble. On the one hand, people who adopt this viewpoint simply have nothing to lose, they live life to the fullest, and bid their lives with a wave of farewell when the time comes to pass on.

On the other hand, if you come face to face with God, that's when you'll think about a lot of things. Despair, regret, heartbreak – I don't ever want to meet God with these attachments in my heart, which is why I chose to follow Jesus the good man as he directs me in my daily routine.

November 8, 2010 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • chelseykia

To Seriously : You'll know when you pass on from this world and come to find out which religion wore masks and which is the only pathway to heaven. I didn't say which religion is 'right' – I'm saying that's when you'll find out, beyond a shadow of the doubt.

Besides, you're not the first one to have bashed Jesus either. Even the God-religious leaders of a thousand years ago propelled the propaganda to tear Jesus down as He preached to the crowd, and ultimately got pierced in his sides by their spears. They wanted to erase His name as Son of God forever; He became the most famous man in the world and His legacy spread like wildfire.

November 8, 2010 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • TempGuest

Prove that God isn't real

November 9, 2010 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • 3vix6

We discard and reject Christ, not only because of his followers, but because outside the Bible and a few questionable sources.. he didn't exist. People build Science around trying to justify his existance rather than thinking for 5 seconds, maybe they're wrong. That's why.

We reject him because he is non existant as is your God. There may be a universal creator of the universe.. But it is not the contrived man made deity by the names of Jehovah, YHVH or any other names people of the Abrahamic religions have given him throughout the years. In that respect, we don't know.. Nor we may never know.

Gods live when they're created and people believe in them.. Gods die when people stop believing in them...

Almost like imaginary friends.

November 8, 2010 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  3. YBP

The real Jesus, a devout Jew of the First Century CE, would have been TOTALLY REPULSED by this GRAVEN IMAGE, not to mention that its purpose is to attract money-spending tourists. Christianity is so empty and ignorant of what it's supposed to be.

November 8, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Julie

YBP..please see my comment to Melissa above...I don't think you'll find any other organized religion on the face of the earth that helps its' fellow man more than Chrisitianity. It seems I read about different Christian organizations everyday going around the world, or helping people here in America....I guess it's sometimes easier to just believe the worst, then to see the good in people.....

November 8, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Tyler

Dudes... that Jesus is hot. Tall, handsome...

November 8, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jack

He is actually a fully functioning robot designed to kick muslim butt.

November 8, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Lexx

A waste of money, a waste of resources, and a waste of time!

November 8, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  6. anonymous

Seriously he does love you! And you know it!!

November 8, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • There are no gods

there are no gods

November 8, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  7. RD Lange

Wow. Charlie Whitehurst has started only one NFL game and they're already building a statue of him!?

November 8, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Rich64

You are reallysick. My prayers go out to you that you will change soon..

November 8, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  9. larry

Hmmm... Statue of Liberty or Statue of Jesus... I'm going with the Liberty on this one.

November 8, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Babak from LA

Jesus is missing the blue eyes! I mean after all her was blond with blue eyes right?

November 8, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jim

Jim you have to read..... Roman LEADERS not Romans

November 8, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  12. E

Jesus was a Jew with "wholly" hair. I gues they missed that biblical description...

November 8, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Connecticutian

Wow. With all the disrespect toward Christianity, just have a look at who's behaving badly in these comments. It's not religion that brings out the worst in humanity, it's the anti-religion that really unleashes hell.

And isn't it just like an "enlightened" atheist to judge how other people should have spent their money. 🙂 Sounds just like Judas, actually.

November 8, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bleem

Oh supreme rightious person. You are so right.. I bow to your stubborn ignorance. You win. You are completely right.
      Let me ask you- why did God greate non-believers? So rightious meglamaniacs like yourself can feel important?

November 9, 2010 at 2:58 am | Report abuse |
  14. James

I believe in God, and worship him. But i'm finding thisn statue troubling. The bible clearly describes what Jesus looked like but this statue doesn't represent what the given description. Is there another Jesus I don't know about?

November 8, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • more signs

those poles must have weak immigration enforcement. the photo on the id doesn't match, and they let this guy into the country.

November 18, 2010 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Dinae

Not sure Jesus would have appreciated this...

November 8, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |