November 8th, 2010

World's tallest Jesus statue completed

Workers in Poland finished erecting the world's tallest statue of Jesus over the weekend, a 170-foot (52-meter) giant that towers over the countryside near Swiebodzin.

"This is the culmination of my life's work as a priest. I felt inspired to fulfill Jesus' will, and today I give thanks to him for allowing me to fulfill his will," Father Zawadzki said after the head was attached by a 700-ton crane, according to a report from the Warsaw Business Journal.

A crane places the head on the world's tallest Jesus statue this weekend in Poland.

The height of the plaster and fiberglass Polish statue surpasses the 40.4-meter (133-foot) Cristo de la Concordia in Cochabamba, Bolivia, and the 39.6-meter (130-foot) Christ the Redeemer statue in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, according to news reports.

Local officials in the town of 21,000 people hope it will be a tourist attraction.

"More people will visit Swiebodzin and leave their money," Radio Poland quoted Dariusz Bekisz, the mayor of Swiebodzin, as saying.

The cost of the statue was covered by local donations, according to the Krakow Post. It will be officially consecrated on November 21.

Post by:
Filed under: Art • Poland • Religion • World
  1. Will

@Babak from LA...His faults? Can you name one?

November 8, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  2. XMH III

Ghandii Said It best when he said something like " I like this Jesus fellow.. Its His followers I take issue with" Not an exact quote.. but fairly close. I will proudly say I am a Christian..But I DO not belong to any particular branch of the church. the relationship between a Man/Woman and His/Her god should be between THEM...I DO think that Giant statues and Churches etc are an over the top expression to impress.. not to save... God is everywhere.. leave it to the Christians to lock their wonderous God in stony Cathedrals behind stained glass

November 8, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  3. MadPanda

:)~

November 8, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Danny

"You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth."

I'm not religious, but Jesus probably was, and I don't think this goes according to the bible he believed in.

November 8, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  5. borgfree

Oh just another idol for the poor to worship. The church is it's own worst enemy.

November 8, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Simplicity

The giant Jesus statue in Cincinnati was struck by lighting. I take that as meaning he really does not like himself in the least, should he have actually existed that is...

November 8, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  7. DocLowery

It must be nice to have a statue of someone who looks like your countrymen and call him Jesus. However, there were no white or skin's in the east during biblical times. The skin color didn't start to change until Europeans discovered their world and started to infiltrate. The Greeks who the Europeans perpetrate as gods and all knowing can't even profess a Jesus in their likeness. This is such an ignorant and dishonest world. Although a sinner myself, I feel sorry for those who believe in The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit and believe in ignorance. We all will be in for a surprise on judgment day. You think the fall of wall street sent a many man snarling, gnashing his teeth and jumping from tall buildings, it will be unimaginable when God's truth is reveal.....................

November 8, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Matt

Melissa: Don't be so angry. Nobody was hurt by this statue being made and they certainly didn't control the fact that you went to a website and chose to click on an article about a Jesus statue and read it, then comment. If you don't want to see this information, for goodness sake, don't click on it!

Jack: Completely uncalled for. Go away.

November 8, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  9. majikpresto

Jesus that's big.

November 8, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Federico

No comments about the largest and tallest statue of Christ in the world in Cochabamba-Bolivia, the poorest country in South America?
    It shames me a great deal to have that piece of junk in my hometown.
    What a waste of resources and money.

November 8, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  11. borgfree

One faction of the church saying to the other, "My thing is bigger than your thing!" What a waste of money! The ignorant can be fooled so easily. Don't worship idols you fools!

November 8, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  12. JC-VA

Really, this is a waste of time and money....

November 8, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  13. vilma

Holy Bible JKV: GOD SAYS:
    Exodus 20:3¶Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Exd 20:4 ¶Thou shalt <<<>>> unto thee <<<>>>, <<<>>>> [of any thing] that [is] <<<>>>, or that [is] in the earth beneath, or that [is] in the water under the earth:

Exd 20:5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God [am] a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth [generation] of them that hate me;

November 8, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jarek

It shouldn't really matter what or who someone believes in as long as people are good. So if you need a 170 foot statue to persuade you to do good then so be it. And when it comes to everyone posting comments about how this statue is a waste of money, I'd like to ask these same people if they've ever gone to Disney World, if they've ever had a beer, if they've ever owned a big screen TV. Everyone constantly spends money on things which have no direct positive benefit on the well being of the poor and starving in this world. At least the intentions of the creators of this statue are purley good and not pointless in any way, sense, or form.

November 8, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Julie

In defense of Christianity: I don't see any other religious groups giving to the less fortunate of the world like Christians do...I'm always hearing about Chrisitian mission groups, fund raisers, volunteers etc...But I never hear about any other religious groups commiting to humanitarian efforts like the Christian groups do...They were in Haiti before there was even an earthquake...they seem to be all over the world helping people.

November 8, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • HolierThanWhom

They are all over the world trying to convert the native populations to their various Christian faiths.

November 9, 2010 at 6:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Julie

uhoh...we might have a whole world of helpful people then!!

November 9, 2010 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Julie

uhoh holierthanwhom....that could cause a whole entire world of helpful people!

November 9, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |