November 8th, 2010

World's tallest Jesus statue completed

Workers in Poland finished erecting the world's tallest statue of Jesus over the weekend, a 170-foot (52-meter) giant that towers over the countryside near Swiebodzin.

"This is the culmination of my life's work as a priest. I felt inspired to fulfill Jesus' will, and today I give thanks to him for allowing me to fulfill his will," Father Zawadzki said after the head was attached by a 700-ton crane, according to a report from the Warsaw Business Journal.

A crane places the head on the world's tallest Jesus statue this weekend in Poland.

The height of the plaster and fiberglass Polish statue surpasses the 40.4-meter (133-foot) Cristo de la Concordia in Cochabamba, Bolivia, and the 39.6-meter (130-foot) Christ the Redeemer statue in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, according to news reports.

Local officials in the town of 21,000 people hope it will be a tourist attraction.

"More people will visit Swiebodzin and leave their money," Radio Poland quoted Dariusz Bekisz, the mayor of Swiebodzin, as saying.

The cost of the statue was covered by local donations, according to the Krakow Post. It will be officially consecrated on November 21.

Post by:
Filed under: Art • Poland • Religion • World
  1. Julie

I'm pretty sure there are no other organized groups, religious or otherwise, that volunteer around the world more than Christians do. I've never heard of any other religious organization that does the same......

November 8, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. IMHO

I dont care what Jesus looked like. I dont care if he was real or not. I would rather believe in him and it turns out that he was not real versus he was real and I did not believe in him. For all of the atheists, agnostics , non-Christians and part time Christians: if you applied the TEACHINGS of Christ versus determining the authenticity of his existence, the world would be a better place. He preached to love one another, do not judge and turn away from sin-nothing more, nothing less. Let every man be sovereign in his own right because only God has the right to judge. Peace and blessings to all of you regardless of your beliefs.

November 8, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  3. rivirivi

I love Jesus because he came to show stupid humans to forgive. Mother Theresa came to show us compassion. Look what happened! Jesus was killed by the Greedy Romans and Mother Theresa saved so many from horrible deaths, gave those dirty poor a clean bed to die on, She won like a little poem from the Pope. Regardless, KIND people will SURVIVE and THRIVE spite the HORRIBLE GREED of all Organized Religions!

November 8, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  4. rivirivi

This nice statue, how many children could have eaten instead?

November 8, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  5. gateway

Poland, the most Catholic nation on Earth. I guess it only makes sense.

November 8, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Dave

What? No poverty in Poland? This is the one way Jesus would really like you to spend money and time?
    No it isn't. what a ridiculous waste.

November 8, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  7. SC

What a beautiful statue of a beautiful being. Thank you Christ for all you are doing.

November 8, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  8. bill

I love the people who try and act smart yet they selectively choose history to fit their own modern agenda. I'm sorry if you like it or not many of the founding principles of the US were based from the bible or at least from an idea that there was a creator. I'm a believer in seperation of church and state but it's a fact. "All men are created equal" it comes from the idea that all men are created equal in gods eyes. Obviously scientifically were not all equal, some people are smart some are dumb some are tall some are short etc. The idea of inalieable rights also stems from the belief that these rights are granted to people by a god, not by other people. I get it you your not religious but just stop spinning history to fit your idea of the way the world should be. I was a history major come on people!

November 8, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • SC

What you are trying to do is appreciated, but seriously, you are trying to argue with morons. None of these clueless clowns has any interest in anything productive, they are just trying to find some justification for their miserable little lives. They think if they blame it on Christians it will all be better, but it isn't. Don't hate them, the world needs idiots too to help remind the rest of us how wonderful our lives are. Plus they keep the sticker makers in business.

November 8, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Stan

We should investigate the funding of this

November 8, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mel

It is amazing how much time non-religious people spend thinking and talking about religion, and then complain about how much time they wasted talking about it and its not their fault – it was the religious BOOGEYMAN that made me do it. Somehow they got here, they "didn't" apparently click on this story marked "RELIGION" or something like that, and then spend time there reading it, debating it, and low and behold, "will you religious people stop shoving religion down my throat!". Then, have a cup of tea, can't get away till, they have responded in the strongest fashion possible with a host of analogies (like spaghetti monster, etc.) to the latest response to one's post. Remembering to call God "god" because that is part of a non-religious person's lexicon and "We don't do God or manners". More analogies used in retort to the latest response. Let's use the "invisible, imaginary friend" analogy. No, that's being used. Santa Claus in the sky? Yes, perfect – that will do. These religious people will be won over with such an obvious "reductio absurdum" as that! Genius!

Now, back to the attack, next on the agenda the Bible's analogies (parables) are myths, old wife's tales. Note to self, "yes, I can do analogies, but I will pretend that these don't convey truths", but the simple-minded religious minds can only do literal truth. Create a strawman. "Adam and Eve is literally true!" Great one! Genius! Ignore that it might be meant as an allegory. Ignore that Jesus was fond of telling allegories too.

And, so on this silly old merry-go-round carries on. Feigning to be a search for truth, but is only a game of empty rhetoric...

November 8, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  11. drummin_bird

"This is the culmination of my life's work as a priest. I felt inspired to fulfill Jesus' will, and today I give thanks to him for allowing me to fulfill his will," Really? Jesus' will huh? Where did it say in the bible that Jesus wanted a 170 foot statue of himself erected?! Did you even read the bible, because if you did you would realize that Jesus promoted simplicity and humility... this can't possibly be the image of christianity that is so wide spread among the world, what an abomination 🙁

November 8, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  12. bil

cool

November 8, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Chip

Hmm... plaster and fiberglass. Interesting choice of materials....

I wonder what's going to happen after a couple of lightening strikes?

Then I wonder who will get blamed after the lightening strikes?

Then I wonder if they charge admission to climb up inside him and look out of his crown like they do for the Statue of Liberty.

November 8, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Scottish Mama

The taller the Jesus the more you believe? Or the taller the statue it makes it the better religion?

November 8, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  15. SC

Proverbs 1:22-27
    “How long will you who are simple love your simple ways?
    How long will mockers delight in mockery
    and fools hate knowledge?
    23 Repent at my rebuke!
    Then I will pour out my thoughts to you,
    I will make known to you my teachings.
    24 But since you refuse to listen when I call
    and no one pays attention when I stretch out my hand,
    25 since you disregard all my advice
    and do not accept my rebuke,
    26 I in turn will laugh when disaster strikes you;
    I will mock when calamity overtakes you—
    27 when calamity overtakes you like a storm,
    when disaster sweeps over you like a whirlwind,
    when distress and trouble overwhelm you.

November 8, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |