November 8th, 2010

World's tallest Jesus statue completed

Workers in Poland finished erecting the world's tallest statue of Jesus over the weekend, a 170-foot (52-meter) giant that towers over the countryside near Swiebodzin.

"This is the culmination of my life's work as a priest. I felt inspired to fulfill Jesus' will, and today I give thanks to him for allowing me to fulfill his will," Father Zawadzki said after the head was attached by a 700-ton crane, according to a report from the Warsaw Business Journal.

A crane places the head on the world's tallest Jesus statue this weekend in Poland.

The height of the plaster and fiberglass Polish statue surpasses the 40.4-meter (133-foot) Cristo de la Concordia in Cochabamba, Bolivia, and the 39.6-meter (130-foot) Christ the Redeemer statue in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, according to news reports.

Local officials in the town of 21,000 people hope it will be a tourist attraction.

"More people will visit Swiebodzin and leave their money," Radio Poland quoted Dariusz Bekisz, the mayor of Swiebodzin, as saying.

The cost of the statue was covered by local donations, according to the Krakow Post. It will be officially consecrated on November 21.

Post by:
Filed under: Art • Poland • Religion • World
  1. khabar khosh

I as an x Muslim love anything to do about Jesus, especially the big crosses. I wish I had money to build crosses all over the world. Jesus will feed the poor including me by miracle. He is the provider known as "Jahovah Jira"!!!!

November 8, 2010 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. The Anti Statue

jesus christ, jesus christ,
    he's very pretty and he's very nice
    he loves to eat red beans and rice
    he loves to eat them every day
    he loves the jews and he loves the gays

when jesus was born he stayed in a stable
    they didn't have wii and they didn't have cable
    his mom was a virgin and her name was mary
    they live next door to santa and the tooth fairy

a priest in poland made him a big statue
    but jesus said i'd rather have a tattoo

November 8, 2010 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Read-in

Wow! Sorry man, but you suck at poetry. I'll bet your rapping is even worse.

November 8, 2010 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Don

I guess you people who don't believe in God feel the same way about ALL FAITHS ??
    Including Muslims ?? Let's hear your opinions and disrespectful jokes about Islam and Mohammad. ........ I don't believe a single one of you cowards will say a word about them. Prove me wrong, I TRIPPLE-DOG-DARE YA !!
    COWARDS !!!!!!!!! I bet you take up fir them and lick their butts.

November 8, 2010 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Tully

So all you Faith Bashers feel the same about all faiths I gather. Let's see even ONE of you make fun of Islam or Mohimmad and insult Muslims like you do Christians. You freek'n Cowards, I bet you won't, you'll lick their butts because you have no Spine.
    Just as I though. Big Tuff guys.

November 8, 2010 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tim in NC

...Feel better now that you've got that out of your system. [pats on head] Its okay, we don't need to spend time insulting Muslims because you Rightwing-extremists (redundant, I know) do it for the rest of us sound minded and cynical folks who populate the rest of the country. Why don't you set the example for us, you know, show us how its done you big strong, BRAVE person you. Cause it takes really bravery to insult someone from your basement, hiding behind the anonimity of the internet... Go you!

November 9, 2010 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  5. Tully

CNN SUCKS.... CNN MODERATORS SUCK AND ARE COWARDS

November 8, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Tully

CNN allows people to insult Christianity, but Removes any mention of insightful rebuttal.
    CNN day of reckoning is coming.

November 8, 2010 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • asrael

Ah, yes, the "insightful" remarks. Like "moderators suck" and "lick their butts"...

November 8, 2010 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Breezy

Jesus would have used the money to feed the hungry instead of building a statue, but I guess it doesn't really matter what Jesus would have done. It just matters what our contemporary religious leaders think we need to worship God adequately.

November 8, 2010 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • HuffDaddy510

I Agree with you 100 percent

November 9, 2010 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  8. LiberalNN

ALL HAIL SUPER JESUS

November 8, 2010 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  9. LiberalNN

ALL HAIL SUPER JESUS.
    If you do not worship Super Jesus he will come to life and step on your cars and houses!

November 8, 2010 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  10. PolishAncestor

Funny to read such a comment by the proud mayor; spoken right from the heart, like a true capitalist. Tourism for the town will be great, but moreover the dream of ultrimate praise by Father Zawadzki has been fulfilled. God bless him.

A friend says to me, "Religion was greated by the rich to keep the poor from killing them."

November 8, 2010 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  11. chelseykia

To Seriously : You'll know when you pass on from this world and come to find out which religion wore masks and which is the only pathway to heaven. I didn't say which religion is 'right' – I'm saying that's when you'll find out, beyond a shadow of the doubt.

Besides, you're not the first one to have bashed Jesus either. Even the God-religious leaders of a thousand years ago propelled the propaganda to tear Jesus down as He preached to the crowd, and ultimately got pierced in his sides by their spears. They wanted to erase His name as Son of God forever; He became the most famous man in the world and His legacy spread like wildfire.

How bitterly poignant that the Garden of Eden, where Adam and Eve once lived before their fall, resided in the center of Iraq – as I've said, you'll know which religion wore fake masks when you'll pass on – but I'd rather you don't wait till that time and meet Jesus face to face right now instead and ask him your questions, for he'll answer heartily and gleefully like the awesome man He is. 🙂

November 8, 2010 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Flyover

All is right in the world......huge Jesus statue. Dictator Jesus will now enforce his Father's 10 Commandments.
    Such lunacy. The world will be a better place if we throw-off the yoke of monotheism.

November 8, 2010 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Julie

If it weren't for Chrisians, I'm pretty sure the world would have much fewer charitable organizations.....

November 9, 2010 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  13. Mohammed

JESUS was against IDOL worship, Unfortunately many Christians make HIS HUGE IDOLS and pray him.
    Jesus(PUH) was a great prophet of Allah and wanted to unite humanity with love and asked all Humans to worship one OMNIPOTENT, OMNISCIENT, OMNIPRESENT GOD(ALLAH). He said all Humans are children of GOD

November 8, 2010 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guru

WE BELIEVE IN GOD AND NOT ALLAH......PLZZZZ KEEP IT TO URSELF AND NOT IMPOSE YOUR ISLAMIC THOUGHTS ON REST OF THE WORLD.

November 9, 2010 at 2:19 am | Report abuse |
  14. Annunaki

"More people will visit Swiebodzin and leave their money."

Yes, using Jesus to get money, it’s a little known secret The Church doesn’t want others to find out about...but you can read it in my new book, “Secrets of the Church – The Power Pyramid: How to Make God Work for You!”

And yet we still wonder why the Muslims question the integrity of Christianity.

November 8, 2010 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Erick

They did a nice work, in the end^^, aside from the religious values 😀

...and racial accuracy >.>