November 8th, 2010

World's tallest Jesus statue completed

Workers in Poland finished erecting the world's tallest statue of Jesus over the weekend, a 170-foot (52-meter) giant that towers over the countryside near Swiebodzin.

"This is the culmination of my life's work as a priest. I felt inspired to fulfill Jesus' will, and today I give thanks to him for allowing me to fulfill his will," Father Zawadzki said after the head was attached by a 700-ton crane, according to a report from the Warsaw Business Journal.

A crane places the head on the world's tallest Jesus statue this weekend in Poland.

The height of the plaster and fiberglass Polish statue surpasses the 40.4-meter (133-foot) Cristo de la Concordia in Cochabamba, Bolivia, and the 39.6-meter (130-foot) Christ the Redeemer statue in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, according to news reports.

Local officials in the town of 21,000 people hope it will be a tourist attraction.

"More people will visit Swiebodzin and leave their money," Radio Poland quoted Dariusz Bekisz, the mayor of Swiebodzin, as saying.

The cost of the statue was covered by local donations, according to the Krakow Post. It will be officially consecrated on November 21.

Post by:
Filed under: Art • Poland • Religion • World
  1. Pat

I don't care if it rains orfreezes,
    As long as I got my 170-ft plastic Jesus
    Sittin' on the dashboard of my car.

November 9, 2010 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
  2. ROBBIE

hey i have now find some thing i wouldn't mind Al-Qaeda to blow up!

November 9, 2010 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
  3. Dr RatstaR

Maybe lightning will strike it and burn it to the ground like that other fiberglass Jebus statue.

November 9, 2010 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
  4. Pat

My real view of this? It's Christian grandstanding of the worst sort. I don't think there's any passage in Scriptures where it says, "And Jesus said, thou shalt raise 170-ft. statues of Me." The Bible never mentions Christ as being that conceited and it's ridiculous for anybody to think he was. The inflated egos I see here belong to the priest and the mayor of Swiebozdin. 🙁

November 9, 2010 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |
  5. Dr RatstaR

Maybe lightning will strike it and burn it to the ground the same way that other fiberglass Jebus statue in Ohio was destroyed.

November 9, 2010 at 1:23 am | Report abuse |
  6. mike

Does the ACLU know about this?

November 9, 2010 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
  7. Bleem

This is very typical of the stubborn, smug and choson people of god- the Polish. They have to build the biggest idol on earth to prove how egotistic and stupid they are! They will ALL go to heaven,for sure, Now. A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

November 9, 2010 at 2:03 am | Report abuse |
  8. Charlie

172 ft statue erected! That must have been a massive erection!

November 9, 2010 at 2:16 am | Report abuse |
  9. Bremen3011

GASP, they are showing a picture of a statue with Jesus head severed, I declare war on Poland.
    C'mon Christians rise up and crusade against these people who are disrespecting our Jesus while building it!
    Oh wait.. thats for Muslims to cry about, glad this isn't a statue of Muhammad, probably will lead to some kind of outrage with protests and burning of Polish flags (with American and Israeli flags for good measure).

November 9, 2010 at 3:10 am | Report abuse |
  10. Richard Rodriguez

For important matters there are rarely just one reason for their existence. Had I the funds, I would go see the attractive statue.

November 9, 2010 at 5:21 am | Report abuse |
  11. James Gardner

LOL so many silly religious people in here. Bunch of ignorants.

November 9, 2010 at 5:58 am | Report abuse |
  12. Bill

Maybe this statue with the golden head gear will protect Poland from armies that have been marching through the country for centuries. Their prayers did not help then, so now they erected a monument.
    It is amazing how humans around the globe deal with the unknown and unseen. Some even pray and hope of the end of the world so that they can get reunited with their maker anywhere but here on earth.
    In my case I pray that God join us here on hearth because I really like the place.

November 9, 2010 at 6:15 am | Report abuse |
  13. Simon

Animated history of Poland.

November 9, 2010 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
  14. Ania

WOW that is one BIG Jesus!

November 9, 2010 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
  15. SSPHOON

Lord, Jesus figure was used in a marketing scam. Sue them.

November 9, 2010 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |