November 8th, 2010

World's tallest Jesus statue completed

Workers in Poland finished erecting the world's tallest statue of Jesus over the weekend, a 170-foot (52-meter) giant that towers over the countryside near Swiebodzin.

"This is the culmination of my life's work as a priest. I felt inspired to fulfill Jesus' will, and today I give thanks to him for allowing me to fulfill his will," Father Zawadzki said after the head was attached by a 700-ton crane, according to a report from the Warsaw Business Journal.

A crane places the head on the world's tallest Jesus statue this weekend in Poland.

The height of the plaster and fiberglass Polish statue surpasses the 40.4-meter (133-foot) Cristo de la Concordia in Cochabamba, Bolivia, and the 39.6-meter (130-foot) Christ the Redeemer statue in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, according to news reports.

Local officials in the town of 21,000 people hope it will be a tourist attraction.

"More people will visit Swiebodzin and leave their money," Radio Poland quoted Dariusz Bekisz, the mayor of Swiebodzin, as saying.

The cost of the statue was covered by local donations, according to the Krakow Post. It will be officially consecrated on November 21.

Post by:
Filed under: Art • Poland • Religion • World
  1. polly

"Big Butter Jesus" was in South Dayton, Ohio and I feel the Lord knew exactly what he was doing when he struck it down with lightning!

November 9, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Big O

be nicer if it was a statue of Budah.

November 9, 2010 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  3. GodLovesYouAll

Thanks for removing my comment. There was nothing wrong with it. Some free speech you have in USA...

November 9, 2010 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Elder Willis

They will most likely remove mine next. 🙂

November 9, 2010 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  4. goofy

of you don't let Jezus into your heart you won't be able to feel his presence. Those who TRULY embraced Jezus know what I'm talking about. It's just this strong feeling of having a powerful force on your site, feeling of confidence and faith. God belss all of You who believe, and non-believers too

November 9, 2010 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Elder Willis

Christians that follow idolatry? Wow... not from the Bible that I know. Did Jesus come down and pose for this? How do you know what He looked like? Certainly was not European in decent. Looks like Constantine the Great to me, might wanna check out history and study the Word a little more. Could have given to money to the poor i guess... oh wait Jesus already suggested that. Wow.

November 9, 2010 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • dparks2010

They should have given him big goofy ears and surrounded it with teleprompters to shut all the whiny Liberals up. LOL!!

November 10, 2010 at 8:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Lorraine Scofield

"Right on" brother! If people who call themselves "christians" read their bibles more, they would discover that we were told to not make any images of anything here on earth or above in the heavens. This is not a quote but close. I would definitely call this an idol and I don't think Yah and Yahushua are too happy with it. Yah bless you brother.

November 10, 2010 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Brad

Find the online book, "The Secret Holocaust"

It is likely the most important book you'll read this year

November 9, 2010 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Gary

I LOVE how many non-believers are out there!!!! Please keep spreading the 'good word' of COMMON SENSE and KNOWLEDGE!!!!! This is such a waste of material (regardless of who pays for it).

November 10, 2010 at 6:13 am | Report abuse |
  8. Brad

I wish someone would build a statue of Mohammed 100 miles high on the Syrian border, then push it over so it could fall and crush the Satanists to the west ("Israel")

November 10, 2010 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Blah

Ok..I am from Poland and now I'm truly embarassed by this...big...thing.
    And it's not only about it's uglyness , think about how much /good/ we could've done for this money.

Ah and sorry for any errors in my English ^^;;

November 17, 2010 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  10. Lukasz Poland

Here is photogallery of it : http://www.joemonster.org/art/15585/Co_sie_stalo_z_Jezusem_Swiebodzinskim_

November 17, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  11. mike

Now, that's Aragorn people!

November 21, 2010 at 5:11 am | Report abuse |
  12. Rubik

It's not only Jesus! It's the biggest statue of Aragorn, son of Arathorn, the King of united Gondor and Arnor!

November 21, 2010 at 8:15 am | Report abuse |
  13. degas antonie

where is mine??????????

November 22, 2010 at 5:09 am | Report abuse |
  14. degas antonie

the statue is jesus christ.citicize in polite manner it is not a singer or a film star.
    don't try to show x tians are fools.no one can.....................

November 22, 2010 at 7:28 am | Report abuse |
  15. josephFidelis Pereira

You believe or not, BUT His Almighty God exist. I have experienced Lord. He has helped me and shown a path in my difficulties, problems. Might be by human error or destiny. Start believing and have wonderful life. NO need to pray everyday, or to attend regular Mass. But believe and ask for His favour. GOD BLESS YOU ALL . Believer or unbeliever. His Almighty is there and is looking upon us, vitreous and sinners too.

March 17, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |