November 8th, 2010

World's tallest Jesus statue completed

Workers in Poland finished erecting the world's tallest statue of Jesus over the weekend, a 170-foot (52-meter) giant that towers over the countryside near Swiebodzin.

"This is the culmination of my life's work as a priest. I felt inspired to fulfill Jesus' will, and today I give thanks to him for allowing me to fulfill his will," Father Zawadzki said after the head was attached by a 700-ton crane, according to a report from the Warsaw Business Journal.

A crane places the head on the world's tallest Jesus statue this weekend in Poland.

The height of the plaster and fiberglass Polish statue surpasses the 40.4-meter (133-foot) Cristo de la Concordia in Cochabamba, Bolivia, and the 39.6-meter (130-foot) Christ the Redeemer statue in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, according to news reports.

Local officials in the town of 21,000 people hope it will be a tourist attraction.

"More people will visit Swiebodzin and leave their money," Radio Poland quoted Dariusz Bekisz, the mayor of Swiebodzin, as saying.

The cost of the statue was covered by local donations, according to the Krakow Post. It will be officially consecrated on November 21.

Post by:
Filed under: Art • Poland • Religion • World
  1. therm

Religion = Delusion. And the Delusionists can't even agree amongst themselves what the rules are. Can you have a statue, or not? The Bible clearly, ambiguously, probably may possibly say one or the other somewhere, if taken out of context in just the right way...

November 8, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Kelz

I love that this is supposed to be a "fulfillment of god's will," but then he mentions how it's going to bring in money. Remember Jesus overturning the tables of the moneychangers?

November 8, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  3. God

""Freedom of speech" does not equal "freedom from repercussions from those offended"."

Actually, that is exactly what it means. Unfortunately, someone has convinced you that everyone is special, and that simply is not true.

November 8, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  4. TheAlaskaCurmudgeon

Has anybody asked MC 900 Ft. Jesus how he feels about this? Because he's taller.

November 8, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Thetailisphail

JesusStatue: REMEMBER MEH!!! REMEMBER MEH!!! *Floats into the sky*
    Poland People: O_o...

November 8, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  6. SolomanB

Awesome! Now when do we get to see a face-off between this and the giant Gundam statue? http://tiny.cc/xin30

November 8, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Max

This is a great moment for a religious country that was victimized by an externally-imposed atheistic regime for decades. Good for them.

November 8, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  8. PDXSerric

'You shall not make for yourself a carved image–any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.' – oops.

November 8, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Edmund Jaja

All religions are cults. Believe in love and believe in yourself.

November 8, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Zeus

Hummm and this is what!
    Idolatry is usually defined as worship of any image, idea, or object, as opposed to the worship of a monotheistic God. Now if memory serves me right, it’s sin under christain belief to pray or show awe to any statue. Where did the Greek/Roman Gods go, not far from what I can see.

November 8, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  11. fireybuddha

that tops ohio's touchdown jesus that was struck by lightening. though i'm not sure anything could ever top driving by that doofy piece when it comes to hilarity.

November 8, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  12. nick rymond

THIS IS IDOLTRY PLAIN AND SIMPLE. COMMANDMENT NUMBER ONE. THOU SHALT HAVE NO OTHER gods BEFORE ME. JESUS IS NOT GOD.

November 8, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fred Flamm

Try backing off the coffee.

November 8, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • SBBlair

Does that include all the portraits and murals of Jesus in churches through out the world?

November 8, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Damien

Apparently you are not a Christian. Jesus IS GOD.

November 8, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • LaRofromNorthAL

A statue in itself is not idolatry – it's what you do with it that makes the difference. If you pray before it, using the structure as a means to focus your thoughts & seeing it as a reminder of what you worship, that's not idolatry. If you think the statue is in fact THE deity, that is idolatry.

Just because people might pray BEFORE the statue, it doesn't mean they pray TO the statue.

November 8, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Floin

Poor uneducated, ignorant people. Since, it obviously sounds like you are not educated in even the basics of theology, let me give you a short, quick lesson. If you are not familiar with the Holy Trinity, get informed. The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. 3 persons, 1 God.

November 8, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • A Little Light

Christ’s divinity is shown over and over again in the New Testament. For example, in John 5:18 we are told that Jesus’ opponents sought to kill him because he "called God his Father, making himself equal with God."
      In John 8:58, when quizzed about how he has special knowledge of Abraham, Jesus replies, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I Am"—invoking and applying to himself the personal name of God—"I Am" (Ex. 3:14). His audience understood exactly what he was claiming about himself. "So they took up stones to throw at him; but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple" (John 8:59).
      In John 20:28, Thomas falls at Jesus’ feet, exclaiming, "My Lord and my God!" (Greek: Ho Kurios mou kai ho Theos mou—literally, "The Lord of me and the God of me!")
      In Philippians 2:6, Paul tells us that Christ Jesus "[w]ho, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be g.asped" (New International Version). So Jesus chose to be born in humble, human form though he could have simply remained in equal glory with the Father for he was "in very nature God."

November 8, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • dddd

John 1:1-2: "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning.

John 1:14: "The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us."

November 8, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Spring Temple Budha

@ LaRo – make sure that you bring your lawyer with you when you are at the pearly gates! – It's a pretty thin technicality.

November 8, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Popso

LaRofromNorthAL is correct...its all about what the focus is centered on.

November 8, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trust

Apparently you you were never told that God, Jesus and, the Holy are one.

November 8, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Drew

Biblical references to the plural nature of the one and only GOD. “Let us make man in our image” – Genesis 1:26,
      “God said, ‘Behold, the man has become like one of us…’” – Genesis 3:22, Jesus is GOD. The Holy Spirit is GOD. The Father is GOD. The complete dynamics are a mystery... but so are the dynamics of himan nature, and many other things. I, and millions of other Christians hold these things as truths, but hold them by faith. I pray that you too will accept Jesus into your heart. Believe me, I am far from perfect... so I am not trying to spaek down to you. I just want to pass along the Good News that I accepted into my heart. God Bless you!

November 8, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Faithful Watcher

You're correct on both counts Nick! Exodus 20:1-6 explains why we must not create images; also Deuteronomy 4:12-36. See also John 20:17, Jesus is speaking, ".....I am ascending to my Father and your Father and to my God and your God."

November 8, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • jman

Read the Septuagint. Jesus and God are one in the same. God (Jehovah) calls himself "the first and the last" multiple places in the Old Testament, and in Revelation Jesus says "I am Alpha (the first) and Omega (the last), who was dead, and is alive, and I live forevermore." Jehovah-witnesses don't believe that Jesus is God either, but um, hello, read the Bible before you come up with this stuff. To Rabbi Venom, you ought to take a look at the Bible too, before you conclude that the Jews are Satanists. God has already mapped out all of history. Isaiah said "Who hath believed our report, and to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?" and Jesus said IN Isaiah, "They will look on me (Aleph and Tau((Alpha and Omega)) ) whom they have pierced, and they will mourn bitterly, as one who weeps for an only son." The Jews didn't accept Jesus as the Messiah, but in the end they will see the truth, and a remnant of the Jews, God's people, will come out.

Statues and monuments are a waste of time and money. It's all gonna burn in the end.

November 8, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Maggie

Obviously you have not read your Bible–if you own one. Jesus, known by many wonderful names–"the Word" being one–is God in the flesh. God the Father sent Jesus to save people just like you, Nick, though you don't choose to believe. But believe you will when you die and find out that hell is a real place full of real suffering. The Bible states: "In the beginning was The Word and The Word was with God and The Word IS GOD". The choice is yours to believe or not to believe but I pray you do not allow your hardened heart to send you to hell. Jesus came that we should have life–not death. Personally, I think a simple cross would have made a better statement because God commanded that "no graven image" be set up. A cross would signify so much more.

November 8, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • detada

@nick rymond: Sorry, but you are wrong. That may explain why you are not a Christian. The word "Trinity" is not in the Bible, but the concept is, depending on how you define the word. Trinity refers to the 3 part make-up of God. But, God is not truly a trinity, but a unity, made up of 3 parts, the Father (God), the Son, (Jesus) and the Holy Spirit. Three manifestations, but one God.

November 8, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • BuzzLtYr47

Apparently, someone hasn't read that big book that really details out the whole "Trinity of God" piece. Recommend reading "The Shack" to gain a little better perspective on the Trinity.

November 8, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • LaRofromNorthAL

@ Nick Rymond : The Gospel according to UTube ? Riiiight.

I think not.

November 8, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amen!

amen!

November 8, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rob

Its just a statue.... the individual man makes it an Idol should he so choose. Erecting the statue to make a tourist attraction and profit from it, I wouldnt say is the best use of the saviors image. Unless it is used for the purpose of building the kingdom of God on this earth.
      I will not debate on the theology issues and differences becuase people are people and this really isnt and wasnt made to be the place for it.

November 8, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • JL

I think your problem Nick, is that you get your theology from You Tube. Though the term "trinity" is not used, the concept of the trinity is consistent throughout the Bible.

November 8, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

You're mistaken, Rick. Jesus himself said that he is God. True, He's not Jehovah, the Father, but He is part of the trinity, Father, Son and Holy Ghost that we are to baptize in the name of.

John 14:8-10
      8 Philip said, “Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us.”

9 Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10 Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work.

John 8:58
      58 “Very truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I am!”

John 10:30
      30 “I and the Father are one.”

November 8, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stan

I agree with you on the idolitry part, but Jesus is definitely part of the triune God. God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit.

November 8, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • ross petermann

what a clown

November 8, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jesus

you contradict yourself, you are correct Jesus (me) is not a God but the Son of God. So they have not put another God before any other God (my father). You need to come home, back to my fathers house (church or the Bible).

November 8, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • DSolomon

and how do you know this?

November 8, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ray

1 John 5:7 "For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these THREE ARE ONE." ( 3 are 1 ) = ( 3 = 1 ) = ( 3 in 1 ). No, the WORD trinity is not in the bible, but the concept is repeated. I am a Christian. You can say what you want about me, but I would give you fair warning to not blasfeme the Holy Ghost. All who have truly blasfemed the Spirit of God, have soon after died. Are you really willing accept eternity in perpetual burning darkness for all eternity (for what ever flesh serving reason) rather than giving God a chance to show you the truth and accept it and spend Life Eternal with him?

November 8, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • HotDogInBuns

Actually, if you read the bible, Jesus is not god. He is gods son, and is "coming ot earth to establish kingdom on earth like in heaven". He is a sort of soon to be god, you know, the whole messiah thing. It is "Jesus is god" people that just forgot to read the bible after Genisis. That said, the whole fairy tale book is kind of rediculous and aparently the only thing jesus can lead is our imgainations. I mean, really, the only other thing that gets errected based on characters of imagination is the matterhorn in Disneyland. Yay! Touristy fun!

November 8, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Armando

Funny how we have imagines, paintings and statues of Jesus when clearly NO ONE knew what he looked like. The first painting of Jesus was done 600 years after his death from the idea by someone who thought what he would look like. For all you know you're praying to Charles Manson, Ted Nugent.

November 8, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Abdulrahman

From a prophet to the son of God. Now a God!!!

November 8, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • surfdog11

Not only that, but the depiction of Jesus as Anglo and blonde is totally false!! There WERE NO Anglo Europeans in the Middle East 2000 years ago. And I doubt very much the locals would trust or even follow somebody that they saw as an outsider who looked different! had he come from the West!!

November 8, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • mario

Jesus Christ is the only begotten son of GOD.
      GOD and the SON and the Holy Ghost.

November 8, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

It would be idolatry if people are worshiping the statue and/or if Jesus is not God (which He clearly claimed). This may be strange and a waste of resources but it is not idolatry in and of itself.

November 8, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • JOHN MCCAIN

I LIKE THE WAY YOU TYPE. IT IS VERY SMART. I HAD JELLO TODAY.

November 8, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • jman

Also, I should point out for everyone's benefit that those who say Jesus was a "good man" or a "wise prophet" are entirely mistaken. Jesus claimed to be the Son of God and "I AM". If you don't believe those claims, you can't say he was a prophet or a "good man". He was either who he said he was, or a liar and a thief. Prophets receive and proclaim what God has told them: "Surely the Lord Jehovah will do nothing, except he reveal his secret unto his servants the prophets."-Amos 3:7. Isaiah spoke of the "Day of Visitation" for Jerusalem, and Daniel received the message of 70 weeks from Gabriel, "Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the King shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks..." Daniel 9:25 Artaxerxes gave a decree in 445BC that Israel was allowed to rebuild the walls of Jerusalem. By the Jewish calendar, Jesus' Triumphal Entry in 33AD was EXACTLY 483 years (69 weeks of years 69×7=483) to the DAY. Jesus wept over Jerusalem because they did not recognize him as the Messiah on the day of visitation. Jesus cast out demons that did not identify themselves (which cannot be done by priests, the demon must identify itself). He was the Messiah. He is the Son of God. He is I AM. He is "he that is holy, he that is true, he that hat the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth".-Rev3:7

November 8, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • OldSarge

Muhammed is not Allah, either and looks where that's gone...

November 8, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guy

LOL, I like how the one guy that doesn't know how to use the caps lock or shift key properly has to refer to some 'doctor' on youtube for people to find the truth.

Gotta love the internet.

November 8, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • GOD

ALL CAPS LOCK ABUSERS SHALL BE SENT DIRECTLY TO HELL.

Management

November 8, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • james

nick; you are absolutely right, jesus is the son of God and he would never have had long hair as is portrayed in all the images he was a jew and lived by the law and long hair would have been a disgrace but all these other people who believe in the trinity want to make him look like some sad hippie. they need to check their history for the early trinities in egypt, babylon etc. all pagan. he gave all praise to his father in heaven and gave his father's name priority in the "our father" prayer. for more accurate info on what the bible teaches contact Jehovah's Witnesses in your area and asap.

November 8, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • WOW

@Maggie: Does it excite you? Thinking about all those burning non-belivers? You all get so excited thinking about it...I love reading Christian remarks, especially by the 'tons', because you see....most of you can't even agree on one thing. Your right Maggie, Hell is a real place and its here now. Religon is the real evil in this world, once organized Religon is abolished than peace shall rain.

November 8, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • tay

Jesus is God, John 1:1. The Trinity 3 in 1.

November 8, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • jesussaves34

nick please search the bible, Jesus is God and God is Jesus, If u read the word of God u will know this to be true.

November 8, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rio

Jesus inherited the NAME God. That doesn't imply he is God (Hebrews 1:3-4, John 17:11). John 17:11 shows people share the same oneness just as he does with God. That doesn't make them the same person. John 5:30 show that Jesus clearly distinguishes himself from God showing he can do nothing by himself. Again in John 14:28-29 Jesus says God is greater than he is. In in Revelation 3:12 long after he ascended into heaven he still refer to God as his God separating the two. His throne is on the right hand of God, not God's throne. 1 Corinthians 15:27-28 Jesus will be placed under God. John 10:31-38 show God has called humans gods. Galatians 4:7, Romans 8:17 show people are also made heirs of God & CO-HEIRS with Jesus. They too are called children of God (1 john 3:1, Romans 8:23) and sons of God (Romans 8:14,Galatians 4:6-7, Galatians 4:4-5, Luke 20:34-36). Jesus calls them brothers (Hebrews 2:11) and they are given the same glory given to Jesus (John 17:22) & also will be made to be like God (Ephesians 4:23, 2 Corinthians 3:18, 1 John 3:2, Philippians 3:21, Romans 8:23). They too are given rulership the same as Jesus (Daniel 7:27, Revelation 2:10,)

November 8, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Seminarian

Nick,

You are wrong on several counts. First, the concept of the Trinity is clearly pointed out to us in Scripture. Perhaps the greatest example is the Great Commission (Matt. 28:19-20), where Christ commands the disciples to baptize in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Furthermore, Christ explicitly states His divinity in John 10:30, where He says, "I and the Father are one." If you read the Nicene Creed (and especially the revision of it from Constantinople), you will see that the Trinity is clearly affirmed. There are three hypostases (persons) in one ousia (essence).

Second, do you read Greek or Hebrew? If you did, you would know that modern translations of the Bible are very close to the meaning of the original text. There are no major theological views which are challenged by modern translations. If you want to read a translation which is virtually a literal translation, I would suggest the New American Standard Bible. I can look at a passage in Greek and then look at it in the NASB and it is translated word for word (not thought for thought like the NLT, CEV, etc.).

As a corollary to my second point, I will add that "scholars" such as Bart Ehrman wouldn't publish their pop literature in a serious journal because they would get trashed. Ehrman alleges that there are 200,000 to 400,000 textual variants within the New Testament alone. Well, you will have that many variants in the tens of thousands of New Testament manuscripts that we have. The most common variants are the moveable nu (a Greek word can sometimes end with a nu and sometimes not, and many scribes got this wrong [but it should be noted that the nu does not change the meaning of the word]) and misspelled names. There are no textual variants which change major theological positions.

Third, don't get your theology off of YouTube. Read scholarly articles and books. I could almost guarantee that whoever it is that you're listening to on YouTube is probably reading pop lit. from Ehrman, Pagels, and Borg. They are popular, but very few scholars take them very seriously.

Finally, this is directed at Ray. 1 John 5:7 does not (in the earliest manuscripts) read that there are "three who testify in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Spirit." We only find that in the KJV now because most translations have deemed it for what it is: a later addition to the text (and this is the conservative view). It is believed (and I'm quoting Daniel Wallace on this) that that text was an 8th century homily that a scribe added into the manuscript, probably because of the anteceding verse which reads that there is the Spirit, the water, and the blood who testify. This is probably the weakest textual argument out there since the verse is not authentic. That doesn't mean that it isn't true, just that we shouldn't base our Trinitarian formula on it. I've read both Gregory of Nazianzus and Pope Leo, both of whom would've used this verse to affirm the divinity of the Spirit, but they don't. That is because it isn't there until the 700s.

Finally, grace and peace be with you, my brothers and sisters in Christ.

November 8, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Seminarian

Rio,

You're argument fails to take into account that Christ has within Him two natures. The Council of Chalcedon affirms that Christ has two natures "without confusion, without division, without separation." The reason He refers to God as His God and to humans as brothers is because He is human. Your argument is based upon Arianism, and your soteriology is faulty because you have to believe that we can save ourselves since Christ, not being God, is only an exemplar for us. Based on your view, Christ is a creature just like we are, but maybe a little bit higher of a creature.

However, Christ was not created from the will of the Father (as your argument leads one to conclude), but He was begotten eternally from the nature of the Father. This is the faith which the Council of Nicaea affirms. If Christ is not God, how can He save us? As Athanasius says, only God can save, and, to quote Gregory Nazianzen, what is not assumed is not saved. Christ is both God and man, and fully each. Otherwise, He cannot save us.

November 8, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Iman

Nick rymond you are a moron and it shows with you using all CAPS, if you are a muslim my son please stay away from commenting on this issue and dont try to promote islam, People like you are bigots and try to put other religions down to promote your religion..

November 8, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • IMHO

Ummm...Christ is God-incarnate. Read John 1:1. To honor God is not a sin. To worship an inanimate object is. This is honor, not worship.

November 8, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Fred Flamm

Can I get a 180 ft statue of Gandalf? I mean as long as we're putting up fictional characters.....

November 8, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Angela Prince

Love :]

November 8, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • OLDSKOOLNYC1

LOL!

November 8, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • QuothDaRaven

Im pretty sure Jesus was a real man. Son of God, debatable. But a real man none-the-less.

November 8, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • MSII

Jesus was actually a real person in history – whether or not you believe in him being a "higher being" is up to you, but he did in fact exist.

November 8, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jen

hahaha win. seconded.

November 8, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jen

hahaha win. seconded.

November 8, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • QuothDaRaven

Although I do want to point out I don't believe in God myself, but I think you might be getting confused with God and Jesus.

November 8, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paul

I needed that laugh thank you.

November 8, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • LaRofromNorthAL

If you can get enough folks to donate to the cause ( and I have no doubt there are enough LOTR fans out there who would). This was not funded by public money, but rather local donations.

November 8, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • QuothDaRaven

Tell you what though, you make it Nell Carter from Gimme a Break and I will donate. Done.

November 8, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • MTL

Very foolish statement. You will not find one credible historian who will say that Jesus of Nazareth did not Historically exists. The debate is not about whether he was, but was he who we claim He is.

November 8, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave MM

Maybe we can get a giant statue of the flying spaghetti monster? Probably not, but us Pastafarians can always dream.

November 8, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yoda

I know Jesus is not a fictional character, that he was an actual man that lived some 2000 years ago. But too be fair to Flamm here, they didn't put up the statue because he was just a man. Erecting a statue like this does bring along with it what he is supposed to represent. So they really are erected the Jesus that is the Son of God.

November 8, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • geauxLSUtigers

Do you realize that Gandalf was actually one of the characters in LOTR that reflected Jesus? By his coming back after death? JRR Tolkien was a Christian and the movie was written to reflect Christian beliefs. Aragorn was also meant to reflect Jesus in that he was the "King" who returned to the throne. Also, Frodo because he essentially gave up his life for the ring – which is meant to represent 'sin'. Gollum represents a person who is so caught up in sin that they can't live without it. Elfs represent Angels and Oruchi are demons – did you hear Saramon say 'the Oruchi were once Elfs' Demons are fallen angels. So, if you really want a statue of 'Gandalf' – there it is, because that is who Gandalf represented in that movie!

November 8, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • DSolomon

Go for it

November 8, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • dina

To Fred : I think you need help, mostly common sense and respect.Since you are the only one talking about fictional characters here, you can bow and pray to whatever kind of statue your demonic sensless brain wants. God is Jesus and the Holy spirit. 3 in ONE ! I think you and nick rymond must be related or just uneducated. For the ppl on this page who believe and have faith, I encourage to continue educating theses ppl that are indenial about God all together.

November 8, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • lotr-nerd

Not sure what you're talking about. Tolkien actually hated allegory especially hated it when people tried to draw conclusions of allegory in his work. People try to do it nonetheless. Go read some biographies on the guy.The only thing he did "allegorical" is called Gandalf an angel in a letter to someone. I believe to his son, could be wrong on the person though.

November 8, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yoda

LOTR is what in literature is considered a Myth. They have constant themes of an unlikely humans becoming a hero. There is usually a spiritual adviser or' old wise man' that guides them through their journey. Now people that compare the story of Jesus to things like LOTR or Star Wars are not at fault of being demons or of lacking faith. This is an effective way of telling a story filled with lessons and to be honest isn't it in part what the New Testament's purpose is? Whether Tolkien modeled his story after Jesus or whether is was modeled more to the story of Ulysses there are common themes found in all these stories whether you believe them to be myths or not.

November 8, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bubba

Dave MM, all you need is a huge pan of perpetual boiling water to honor the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

November 8, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • geauxLSUtigers

First of all, Yoda, I'm a Christian and you make absolutely no sense. As for the lotr-nerd, read part of this article:

Many fans are aware of that C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien were close friends. Tolkien helped convert Lewis to Christianity, whereas Lewis encouraged Tolkien to expand his fictional writing; both taught at Oxford, both were interested in literature, and both wrote fictional books which propagated basic Christian themes and principles. At the same time, though, they also had serious disagreements — in particular, over the quality of Lewis’ Narnia books.

Although Lewis was very proud of his first Narnia book, The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, and it would spawn a massively successful series of children’s books, Tolkien didn’t think very highly of it. First, he thought that the Christian themes and messages were far too strong — he didn’t approve of the way Lewis seemed to beat the reader over the head with such obvious symbols.

There was certainly no missing the fact that Aslan, a lion, was a symbol for Christ who sacrificed his life and was resurrected for a final battle against evil. Tolkien’s own books are deeply imbued with Christian themes, but he worked hard to bury them deeply so that they would enhance rather than detract from the stories.

JRR Tolkien was Christian and the LOTR movies were based on Christianity even though it was not 'obvious'. It is actually an encouragement to me, however, even though I'm sure his intent was to glorify God, I don't think the movies did that. I think even the Chronicles of Narnia have stuff in them that steer us away from God and if you aren't careful, you can get caught up in that slippery slope. I hope all of you come to know Jesus for who he is and I really hope you do before you meet death.

November 8, 2010 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  14. PaddyReagan

New bumper sticker for pilgrims en route to see the statue:

"Swibodzin–Jedzą, napój i widzą *Mary*"

Translation: "Swibodzin–Eat, Drink, and See Mary"

November 8, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jack

Swiebodzin – jedza, pija i widza Mary. Kinda make no sense but that is how you write it.

November 8, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • RonaldReagan

@PaddyReagan – Actually, you're dead wrong. The word "MARY" is a shortcut from the word "koszmary" (nightmares). Therefore the correct translation would read: "Swibodzin– They ear, drink and see nightmares". The problem is your alleged Polish saying ""Swibodzin–Jedzą, napój i widzą *Mary*" is not even written correctly in Polish O.O lol

Nice try though....

November 8, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • RonaldReagan

@PaddyReagan – Actually, you're dead wrong. The word "MARY" is a shortcut from the word "koszmary" (nightmares). Therefore the correct translation would read: "Swibodzin– They eat, drink and see nightmares". The problem is your alleged Polish saying ""Swibodzin–Jedzą, napój i widzą *Mary*" is not even written correctly in Polish O.O lol

Nice try though....

November 8, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  15. anonymous_mike

thank you for posting an article that brings the wackos out of the woodwork

November 8, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • sc

Sure, just write any article about truth,honesty, morals etc. Gets the liberals panties all in a wad. God forbid someone misspells a wurd. Makes their tails stand straight up!

November 8, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bubba

"brings the wackos out of the woodwork" See sc's idiotic comment for an example.

November 8, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • IMHO

yeah, atheists and Christians alike.

November 8, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |