November 9th, 2010

Cruise ship stranded without power after fire

A cruise ship with nearly 3,300 passengers on board was stranded off the coast of Mexico Tuesday after it lost power following an engine room fire, Carnival Cruise Lines said in a statement.

The fire occurred about 6 a.m. Monday in the aft engine room of the Carnival Splendor, the cruise line said in a Monday night statement posted on its website. The blaze was extinguished and no passengers or crew were injured.

However, engineers were not able to restore power to the ship, which was operating on auxiliary generators Monday, the statement said.

FULL STORY

Post by:
Filed under: Mexico • Travel
  1. Mr Whipple

From what I've heard from folks who have cruising experience, Carnival is one of the worst cruise lines.

November 9, 2010 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
    • SunnyD

Worst how? My family has taken several cruises and Carnvial has always been great. To each his own but a sweeping statement like yours seems like a pretty useless comment.

November 9, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cody

I agree, after cruising with Royal Caribbean, Carnival can't compare

November 9, 2010 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Rusty

I feel very sorry for all those who are stuck out there. I will like to see what the cruise line will do. Many thanks to our navy for getting there so fast this should help them feel alittle better

November 9, 2010 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
    • n0manarmy

Carnival will probably offer them port fee compensation like they did for us when two of our destinations were canceled. They gave us a $10 discount on our cruse that cost us $2000. The places they took us instead were worth $700. After emailing and mailing the company, they basically responded with "Sorry, but due to the agreement we have, you're screwed." We will never cruise Carnival again.

November 9, 2010 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
    • SunnyD

Per the carnival site "Guests on the current voyage will be receiving a full refund along with reimbursement for transportation costs. Additionally, they will receive a complimentary future cruise equal to the amount paid for this voyage."

November 9, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Michelle

To be stuck on a ship with 3,000 people whether it has power or not sounds like a nightmare to me. I don't "do" crowds or small quarters and would not like someone having control over my itinerary. I don't get the whole "cruise" thing. Its sounds like an uncomfortabe and very vulnerabe position to be in and reminds me of when I lived in CO and the sheep trucks would transport the animals from 1 grazing location to another. Gross.

November 9, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  4. texaswayne

And this is not news...who cares...things happen on highways...its life...they made the stupid choice just as ccn reports retarded stuff as this

November 9, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Rob

I've taken several Carnival cruises, and enjoyed them all. My only complaint is probably a plus to people with large families...there were soooo many young children, many in the "adults only" pool and jacuzzi. Everything seemed to be geared towards young children, including 24/7 icecream, singing and dancing waiters and waitresses at dinner time. That said, the food was consistently very good, the room was done up nicely, and the staff went overboard (poor choice?) to make us happy. Also, the entertainment was the best I've seen on any cruise line. As for these unfortunately travellers, Carnival already said they will give full credit for this cruise, PLUS a voucher for a FREE cruise in the future. I almost wish I was there lol.

November 9, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Linda

Cruised many times with carnival long and short trips and the people were great. The food and entertainment was great and they always put your safety first. Things happen if you take a car bus train plane boat or even walk
    Part of life I'm sure carnival didn't plan this and I'm sure they are doing everything they can to help the passengers get thru this accident

November 9, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mano

This could happen anytime and anywhere. I cruise twice a year ( Royal Caribean) and enjoy it immensely. It's a 5 star hotel that takes you where you want to go. For me, no cell phones, no computer, no driving, no hassles. Just pure relaxation and no stress.

November 9, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  8. cesar

I hope that they have A/C and working rest rooms; safe to assume they are equipped with back up power...generator??

November 9, 2010 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Greeneyes

I traveled on Carnival Destiny on Oct 18th this year, when the one of the engines went out on the way back to Miami. I've been on many cruises and I must say Royal Caribbean is so much better. I also had a problem with the crew. Most of us missed our flights and had to pay more. Carnival agreed to pay us up to 2 hundred for each person.

November 9, 2010 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  10. RightTurnClyde

Well I swore off flying commercial airlines this summer after serious abuse from Expedia, UAL and American Express (spelled my name wrong .. refused to correct it .. wanted payment anyway) COUPLED with rude ground employees, TSA strip searches, parking gestapo, nasty on-board employees .. I don't need to fly. Canceled AmEx. Now I am swearing off unnecessary cruises. AMTRAK and my car are what's left. If they can't do it - I won't go. Simple.

November 9, 2010 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Lance

To each is thier own, I love cruises and hope to be able to take another soon. I have cruised on Carnival 5 times now and all were great. I really feel for these people stranded out there but could be a whole lot worse.

November 10, 2010 at 2:16 am | Report abuse |
  12. Jeremy

I have never gone on a Carnival Cruise. But about a month ago they sent me a flier in the mail for a free trip. So I called them up to see what it was all about. Well the lady I talk to at first "seemed" nice as she gave me her 20min. Speech about everything. Then came the catch, they wanted $180 for international fees. Don't get me wrong. That is one heck of a deal, but when I told her I don't give my card number and personal info. over the phone to just any one. She processed on trying to get it out of me. Finally she connected me with her super. and I "thought" he would be more under standing. Well he was trying to do the same thing as she was but with trick questions about my info. Let's just say they didn't get my money nor with they EVER get me as a customer.

November 10, 2010 at 8:13 am | Report abuse |
  13. Fireheart

Why does not everone scramble to the rescue in the same way, when some country is stricken by drought or famine? This is ridicolous.

November 10, 2010 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  14. rental mobil surabaya

Nice staying visiting your web site again, it is often several weeks to do. Very well this particular content material that ive been recently continued to wait for so very long. I need this kind of write-up to help extensive my own mission inside university, and it has identical theme jointly with your article. Thank you, beneficial reveal. sewa mobil murah surabaya

July 17, 2012 at 1:40 am | Report abuse |