November 9th, 2010

George Bush's busy book tour

Former President George W. Bush continues to work the media circuit, promoting his 500-page memoir "Decision Points," which hits stores today.

The hourlong interview with NBC's Matt Lauer aired Monday, and Bush will join the network's "Today" show on Wednesday. Fox's Sean Hannity spent time at Bush's Crawford, Texas, for an interview that airs this week.

Oprah's pre-taped interview with Bush airs today. A preview clip shows Bush saying, "You're asking me to wade back into the swamp."

At 8 p.m. ET Sunday, CNN's Candy Crowley will interview the ex-president on "State of the Union."

Overall, there appears to be no topic Bush won't tackle, and he talks extensively about regrets he has regarding the war in Iraq and Hurricane Katrina. The Huffington Post gathered some of his quotes from the Hannity interview, including Bush admitting that he sometimes "didn't get my words right." That's all right, he said, because the public never elected "Shakespeare."

Addressing the Iraq war, Bush told Times of London that waterboarding saved British lives.

For actual criticism of the book, the Wall Street Journal offers a  run-down. Revered New York Times critic Michiko Kakutani said the memoir makes Bush seem "both oddly passive and strangely cavalier" while the Washington Post's Jonathan Yardley was more pointed, saying the memoir is "competent, readable and flat."

Post by:
Filed under: George W. Bush • Politics
  1. WhiteKong78

Apparently anyone can write a book. I'm writing a book.

November 9, 2010 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
    • mike

OH God do I miss him, even more than before since this current goon is in office.

November 9, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • R

Thank god this moron is history, too bad Obama is being racked over the coals for trying to clean up his mess.

November 9, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jolly Guy in red suit

With nearly 2 years behind us, it is more evident now how Obama's lack of intelligence, backbone, leadership and character has destroyed this once great country. NO political part will be able to repair the damage that has been done in the last 2 years of Democrat leadership in the WH, and 4 years in the House and Senate. Remember, all spending appropriations come from the congress, not the White House. It doesn't matter who controls the White House only who controls the congress. If one follows who controls the congress, they will see that the economy rises when the Republicans are in power, [last years of clinton and first 6 of bush] and falls when Democrats run congress [last 2 of Bush until Jan 2011] Unfortunately, This idiot Obama is printing over 4 trillion dollars of cash to buy our own debt. It will devalue our dollar instantly.

Get ready for $10.00 Gallons of milk and 15.00 loaves of bread. Thank you idiot Blue voters, Are you happy now?

November 9, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jack

But because your not the greatest President of ur generation no one will read yours.

November 9, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • MikinAZ

To all you die hard denialists – Face it. GW was an idiot. He blew everything he touched and his administration is why we are in the state we are in. Now – being that he can't read...what coloring books is he taking a tour of these days (thats what he calls turning the pages to see a new picture...a book "tour".

November 9, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian

After being given many opportunities to bash the current president, Bush didn't. After being given a full hour on Sean Hannity to bash the current president, Bush didn't. He merely said "I will give the current president the respect I wish he would have given me." If only the current president was as great a man as the former one. Of course people say that Bush was an idiot or stupid, but who is it that claims to be having a problem connecting with the people? Bush never had that problem

November 9, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Johnny Thrill

Bush was great! Bush was an amazing president! The nay sayers are just plain liberal morons. Katrina.....fault.....New Orleans mayor. Iraq war...not good at first....surged worked......Financial crisis...fault...Congress and Wall St. Fat Cats...please find a relationship between Bush and Wall St....I dare you. Never true. Most of you listen to the press for your information. Morons!!!

November 9, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • CJS

Jolly Guy, it is too bad that you are not as humble and of strong character like the past president that you worship. The world would be a better place if you kept your lame opinions to yourself.

November 9, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Johnny Thrill

Bush was awesome.....the mayor of N.Orleans had 3000 buses available before the storm hit. He didn't use 1. I believe he was a black mayor. I believe he was a black mayor. He didn't use any of the buses that the media has photos of. They just sat there and not 1 black person was transported out of New Orleans. Take that Kenye.......Did I mention that the media had pictures of the buses. The next picture a day later showed them underwater. Nagin, what an idiot!!!.

November 9, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

I wish it had come out before midterm elections. Maybe more republicans would have remembered what and who really screwwed up the economy. I thought elephants had good memories. Obviously Bush thinks people have forgotten. Wars. Pharma gate. Outting of Valerie Plame. Stetegery talking points. Shame on me on you shame. The overall screwing of the economy and grocery and gas so high you have to eat plastic cheese and fart in your tank.

November 10, 2010 at 7:05 am | Report abuse |
  2. dictionary

Would you like some words to get started? I'll sell you a vowel.

November 9, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
    • mike

Hmmm… you are so darn witty, witty enough to be the pres of the unites states huh. The man was president, what have you done with your life? Probably nothing except waiting to leave your job and get your cold one and sit on the couch and watch tv. Good for you.

November 9, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • MikinAZ

I didnt have a rich saudi oil connected daddy so I did not become a member of skull and bones at some ivy league school by daddy bought my way into for me...but I have certainly done less harm to the world that that bufoon has. Give me a break..some short memories out there

November 9, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Nat

Best of luck Pres.Bush..I think it is a little soon for a book and stuff.

November 9, 2010 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
    • aaron

its a little soon for President Bush to write a book, yet obama has wrote 2?

November 9, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

One on HOPE.

November 10, 2010 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  4. Frank

People,
    Question,if CIA Director GT had not told GWB that finding WMD in IRAQ was a "Slam Dunk" would GWB still invaded IRAQ? I say NO!

November 9, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amused

Funny how everyone in a specific political party wants to conveniently forget that the CIA was advising him on what they thought was going on in Iraq. If they wanted to blame people for why we went in there..look to the CIA and the Intelligence community as a whole.

November 9, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

To both Frank and Amused – according to everything I've read about this, the CIA actually told him there wasn't WMD but he ignored that....

November 9, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Zakris

Yes he would have. Bush was looking for a reason to jump Iraq to finish the unfinished business the daddy bush could not finished. A year before the invasion, on thanks giving dinner, daddy bushy looked into baby bushy eyes and said, "Son, you see this roasted turkey?, I want Sad-Dam to see roasted like this. I tried but could not do it. You do it for me my stu-pid son. I know you can do it. Your brother Jeb has too much intelligence and he would not do it, but you? you my stu-pid son, go do it" and the baby bushy giggled.

November 9, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kimo

They didn't like the intelligence they were getting so they started the (rather Orwellian sounding) Office of Special Plans headed by Doug Feith, one of the leading chicken hawks and someone who had written a white paper for the Likud trying to convince Clinton to overthrow Hussein. This inside-the-Whitehouse "intelligence" group was largely responsible for distorting the intelligence to fit their agenda.

November 9, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jolly Guy in red suit

Who says water boarding is bad? I'll vote yes to water boarding to everyday. Better yet, just shoot the Muslums/Terrorists [Same thing ], Then they can go directly to paradise, What a nice vacation!!

November 9, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • MikinAZ

Lisa is correct – CIA actually told him there wasn't WMD – but his Dick told him to go anyway – if there were a devil...Cheney would be it...GW was no more than a stupid pawn

November 9, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • SammyG

yet under Clinton, the CIA was telling us that Iraq was devloping WMDs and that he used them. I was upset that Bush waited so long to attack Iraq, I voted for him so that he would finish the job his father started. I grew up in a military town and know many soldiers and they are the ones that helped convince me of this.

November 9, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Richard in Texas

Frank
    Yes he would have still invaded. He was searching for a reason he could try and sell to the American public. His plan was go in look like a hero and get oil at a cheap price.

November 9, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brad

Yeah, oil is real cheap, and most of the profits from that oil is going to the Iraqi people, how else are they going to fund their cournty? The same way we do, with buisness. I think the picture is a little bigger than just oil, and until you see the same inteligence they see, including the stuff we don't know about, who are you to make the call? You are giving your opinion based on 1 fact, no WMD was found, the rest is just stuff you heard from other people, that you then repeater like a parrot, no thought process at all.

November 9, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jolly Guy in red suit

Richard [can i call you DIck?] Last time I checked, oil is in the Commodities market, not for sale to 'special friends' like you liberals think, but to the world at the world price. Oil is the same price world wide, the fluctuation we see is from the monetary exchange rates. Oil is rising here in the US due to Comasar Obama printing money which is being devlaued daily now. When the world finally puts it's foot down and removes the dollar as the world currency, we will see up to 80% devaluation overnight. Look into what happend after WWII and they removed the British Pound. Do your homework before you write this stuff so you do not look so foolish when you post.

November 9, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Michelle

I didn't realize he was physically or mentally ABLE to speak or write for a whole hour.

November 9, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • mike

Man was pres, what are you? Get a life.

November 9, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • MikinAZ

mike – he may have been president...but he was still an idiot. I already answered your Q about what I did with my life...

November 9, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Kevin Brooks

What kind of idiot would buy a book from this 'special' idiot? He should be facing a war crimes tribunal, not on a book tour.

November 9, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Amen. The proceeds of the sale of the book should go to the families of the vets victimized by the Iraq War.

November 9, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • mike

And what type of idiot can call someone who excelled to president of the united states. I am sure you are doing so much with your life.... wake up

November 9, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • stormin87

I'll buy it. I served in Iraq and I know what we (my team) did and didn't find. I've always wondered why the American public doesn't know what I know.

November 9, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • angeleyes

I cant wait to buy it!

November 9, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pirnulu

Call him anythhing you want but do not call him a racist, unless yourself are a racist. I tell you, Bush is my buddy.

November 9, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  8. john

they have tours for coloring books now???...

November 9, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • mike

I know you are askiing because that is all you can read....

November 9, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Christfollower

WE LOVE YOU PRESIDENT BUSH...Just read the first chapter of his book..Amazing man...simply amazing!

November 9, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  9. WhiteKong78

I don't think the war was about oil, but maybe it could have been. There are tons of other oil rich countries with less military capacity that Bush could have conjured up stories about. I really feel he had an axe to grind with Saddam and the financial spoils were a convenient bonus. Mexico is logistically much easier to invade if we just wanted to plunder oil. I also never saw the Republican controlled congress use Bush as a rubber stamp to drill the remaining oil deposits here. The war was simply revenge under the cloak of national security.

November 9, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric M

What "financial spoils" are you referring to? We spent billions in Iraq, and it's not as if we seized their oil. Oil from Iraq is still very expensive, and the profits are going to Iraq itself. In fact, the price of oil (per barrel) has increased substantially WORLDWIDE since the beginning of the Iraq War.

The "no war for oil" tripe is as silly as the "revenge for daddy" theories. Saddam was violating the terms of UN sanctions imposed after the Gulf War, in addition to intentionally playing games with UN inspectors. Saddam deliberately maintained ambiguity about WMD, because he wanted to give pause to anyone that dared consider taking him on militarily (the US included).

The CIA and other intelligence agencies from around the world speculated that he might have WMD. France, Germany, and Russia acknowledged that he might have WMD, but opposed the concept of pre-emptive warfare. Even members of our own Congress that voted against giving Bush the power to go to war in Iraq acknowledged that he may indeed have WMD.

Bottom line is that hindsight is 20/20. Bush went through that once already with 9/11, in which people raked him over the coals for failing to recognize the threat and do something to stop it (a threat that was only taken seriously by a handful of people in the world prior to 9/11). He wasn't going to make that same mistake twice. If he was going to err, it would be on the side of protecting the US.

He called Saddam's bluff. Turns out that he didn't have WMD, but most people can acknowledge that Iraq (and the world) are now a better place with the Hussein regime removed from power. Will Iraq's young democracy survive and flourish? That remains to be seen, but at least the Iraqis have an opportunity to decide for themselves.

November 9, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  10. cm

Why read his book it's plain as black and white how he ripped the country apart.

November 9, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • mike

You Obama goof are a joke, wake up and learn to read something other than state run garbage.

November 9, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Christfollower

November 9, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Amazing only to himself.

November 10, 2010 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  11. phil

@Frank....wrong. The correct answer is YES. Goto http://www.hereinreality.com and click on the Bush Family Album and learn something.

November 9, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  12. brian

busy on the book tour, being "The Decider" making big decisions... this man's talent knows no bounds... Is her going to do a holiday coloring book tour too?

November 9, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  13. WhiteKong78

@Michelle: Usually someone else writes the book. You don't actually think a professional athlete can come up with 500-1000 pages of material on their own do you? If left to their own abilities we'd see nothing but crayon scribbles and pop ups.

November 9, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

The book is 481 pages and he had a ghost writer.

November 10, 2010 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
  14. Dave T

We now know that both him and Sarah Palin have written more books than they have read.

November 9, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Megan

I hope you've read both their books before posting this. I know that I've read Sarah Palin's and Laura Bush's, and thoroughly enjoyed them all. To post without knowing what you're actually posting about is good entertainment, but makes little sense, don't you think? If you read the books, you'd know your statement is rubbish.

November 9, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brad

Megan, please, he is just trying to make himslef feel smart by repeating what everyone else says. I mean, if Bush and these politicians are as dumb as they say, and they can get into politics, then what is his excuse for doing nothing? That means he is dumber than Bush, and wouldn't even know how to color the coloring book. Sad. All you people talking smack, if you know what to do, then do it, if you can make the tough decisions, do it, but all you will ever do, is nothing. So shut up.

November 9, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

Dave,Dave.
      GWB has an MBA from YALE. was a Jet Figther Pilot,ran an Oil Company.Owned the Texas Rangers,was Governer of Texas. SP was a Mayor and Governer of AK.
      I am sure neither one of them had to read a book to acomplish any thing in their careers.I am sure all their knowledge was just absorbed from the atmosphere.

November 9, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • mike

You guys are a joke, I am sure you will not amount to anything close to these Patriots, go get another beer from the fridge and sit on the couch and continue watching your tv shows.

November 9, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Kaycee

He was a president of ours. The amount of disrespect and hate we have toward our leaders is disgusting. I know we all have our political viewpoints, but the reality is THIS WAS A PRESIDENT, OBAMA IS OUR PRESIDENT...I would never show disrespect to our Commander in Chief and would definitely like to read ANYTHING a prior president chooses to discuss...regardless of what I felt about them, or how they did their job. These are people put in a position that regular civilians will NEVER understand...who wouldn't want the opportunity to have some insight into what happened from the source himself? So, to answer your question KEVIN BROOKS...I am that idiot that would spend money on a book from that "special idiot"....I think Obama is an idiot, and I'd still spend money on his book too.

November 9, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

Kaycee – I also read books for "opposing views" I think everyone would be better if they didn't listen or read only what they already agreed with or knew. Broadens the mind!

HOWEVER – this is America and one of the things we do have is freedom of speech and the ability to question our leaders is a strength of ours. Even strongly disagree and protest against them. In fact, in my opinion, it is better for our country than to blindly follow our leaders or go to jail for disagreeing. Do you want to be China or Myanmar where they jail “dissidents”?

Several great quotes to think about:

Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel – Samuel Johnson

Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president or any other public official, save exactly to the degree in which he himself stands by the country. It is patriotic to support him insofar as he efficiently serves the country. It is unpatriotic not to oppose him to the exact extent that by inefficiently or otherwise he fails in his duty to stand by the country. In either event, it is unpatriotic not to tell the truth, whether about the president or anyone else. – Theodore Roosevelt

It does matter HOW they disagree, I strongly disagreed with Bush on the Iraq War, waterboarding, and many, many other issues, but I attacked his policies. Not his wife, kids, or tried to paint him with a hitler mustache (literally or figuratively), the same should be done for Obama. Disagree with health care bill, wall street bill,... sure. Write him, write your Congressman, even take to the streets, but hitler pictures, attacking his wife kids, calling him a socialist or questioning his birth? Stupid.

November 9, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michelle

Kaycee,

Couldn't have said it better myself. Bush haters should be ashamed of themselves. I loathe Obama but I would never talk about him like these people do. It's disgusting.

November 9, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric M

Lisa, nobody here has advocated for people to blindly follow anyone. That includes Obama as well as Bush. The point was not to disrespect the office, and to consider other perspectives. Oddly, you agreed with this point and then inexplicably went on a rant about questioning authority. You're arguing against a strawman.

November 9, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

Eric – I think you misread or misunderstood my point or I just wasn't clear. It's also possible I misread Kaycee's comments – I equated "disrespect" with disagreement and dislike. Some think it's the same, I do not and think we should ALWAYS question authority. I very much dislike Bush and his policies and will continue to speak out against them and don't think that is disrepectfully in the slightest.

November 9, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric M

Lisa, if you think "don't be disrespectful" equates with "don't disagree", I'm afraid I can't help you. You're not only arguing against a point that Kaycee never made, but one that is actually contrary to what she posted. Her point was that one can disagree with President Bush (or President Obama for that matter), but one should still respect the office and be willing to consider their perspective.

In contrast, you can find scores of people on both ends of the political spectrum that are quick to dismiss any politician they dislike or disagree with, and have no problems making childish and disrespectful comments to shout down anyone that doesn't feel the same.

I certainly didn't agree with everything President Bush did (just as I don't agree with all of the actions of President Obama or Clinton, or Bush 41, or Reagan, or Carter). That doesn't diminish my respect for the office of POTUS, and it doesn't impact my interest in reading this book and getting his perspective on the decisions that he had to make during his administration. It doesn't mean I'm going to agree with those decisions, it just means I'm willing to consider his point of view rather than posting "OMG BUSH WROTE A BOOK, HE CANT READ ONE LOL" a dozen times and feeling clever.

November 9, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |