November 9th, 2010

San Francisco approves health guidelines for meals with toys

The San Francisco Board of Supervisors passed an ordinance that requires meals sold with toys not to exceed ceilings for calories, fat, sugar, and sodium. The meal must also contain a half a cup of fruit and at least three-quarters of a cup of fruits or vegetables.

Sponsored by Supervisor Eric Mar, the legislation passed with a final vote of 8 to 3. It takes effect December 1, 2011.

Read more about the proposal on CNN.com.

Post by:
Filed under: California • Nutrition
  1. Christine Smith

The happy meal toys and food arent causing obesity. Ice cream and candy along with it every day causes obesity. Smart parents only allow happy meals every now and then. They shouldnt punish everyone for over indulging parents. They should spend their energy and time on child abuse and poverty.

November 10, 2010 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  2. Cletus Smith

Please people.........Who forced you to purchase this meal for your kids? If you don't like what they are selling then don't buy it. If you don't want your kids to be eating this kind of stuff then don't buy it. If you want your kids to be as fat as possible then buy them 10 kids meals. When did I give up my rights to be a parent and say "Please government make decisions for me because I am couldn't possibly know what is right for my kids". Give me a break. What happened to personal choice and individual freedoms. If everyone wanted healthy food in their meals then when no one bought the unhealthy stuff restaurants would change. That simple. Government get out of my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 10, 2010 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  3. liz hammerschmidt

I really don't understand how hard it is to read the labels on the products, especially since McDonald's put their nutrition facts on everything. Being a parent is being responsible. Maybe the parents need to watch what theyre putting in their mouths first, before saying McDonald's provides unhealthy food. My kids get the right portions with their happy meals. I also express the importance to my kids of staying active. They see me exercise. Most parents who are complaining about this story are over weight. Am I wrong?

November 10, 2010 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  4. The Dude

Hey Cletus... If I have to pay higher insurance rates because your kids being fat causes them to need more medical care then yes... I'm all for the ban. To be honest, you sound like a corporate stooge.

November 10, 2010 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jolene V.

This is dumb. Of course some kids only get a Happy Meal for the toy, but if theres no toy, what's stopping kids from getting a Big Mac, or some other unhealthy, larger portioned meal? It's more food and it's the next coolest thing to a malfunctioning plastic piece of junk that will inevitably get recalled anyways. Kids are getting more obese every year, and this legislation could ultimatley be taking steps in the wrong direction. The government is being ridiculous blaming fast food corporations for the obesity issues in America, when govenment should be placing regulations and laws against the parents who are raising them, and taking them to these grease houses.

November 10, 2010 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  6. Jim Brieske

whatnext. I didn't write gay people were a threat to anyone. I wrote what Mexicans would do. But since you mentioned it, Gay people are a threat to children though they do not intend it the fact is they are. You can say they are not to be politically correct but that is hogwash and the words of a coward.
    You need to work on your reading comprehension skills too.
    jim

November 10, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  7. p

good at least they are trying to tackle the health issue among kids earlier too bad we can't see that until our kids start coming down with illness at a early in life. we are so clueless

November 10, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |