November 10th, 2010

Investors jittery before G-20 meeting

A look at highlights from the day's business news:

Stocks bounce back

U.S. stocks made a comeback Wednesday afternoon to finish higher, as the dollar turned lower after an earlier rally. But the gains were tepid as investors remained jittery ahead of the G-20 meeting.

The Dow Jones industrial average added 10 points, or 0.1 percent, and the S&P 500 rose 5 points, or 0.4 percent. The tech-heavy Nasdaq added 16 points, or 0.6 percent.

All three major indexes had fallen sharply earlier in the session, with the Dow shedding 92 points, as the dollar soared to a one-month high against the euro and the yen. But stocks clawed higher as the dollar eased.

"We're seeing some abatement in the dollar's rally, which has contributed to the slight lift in the stock market," said Mark Luschini, chief investment strategist at Janney Montgomery Scott.

10-year yield slips after Fed details bond buys

Treasury yields turned lower Wednesday following a 30-year debt auction and the Fed's release of details about its initial purchases under its bond-buying stimulus plan.

The yield on the benchmark 10-year note fell to 2.65 percent Wednesday, while the yield on the 30-year bond fell to 4.24 percent. The two-year note edged down to 0.42 percent, and the yield on the five-year note slid to 1.21 percent.

The Fed said it plans to purchase approximately $105 billion in Treasuries over the next month, with $75 billion of those funds coming from the $600 billion infusion announced last week, and an additional $30 billion originating from proceeds of its earlier investments.

Last week, the Fed announced it would buy $600 billion in long-term Treasuries over the next eight months. However, the majority of those scheduled purchases will be of bonds in the 2 1/2- to 10-year range. Only 4 percent of Federal purchases will be of bonds between 17 years to 30 years in duration.

- CNNMoney.com reporters Hibah Yousuf Charles Riley contributed to this report.

Post by:
Filed under: Business • Economy • G-20 Summit
  1. cesar

AHEAD OF THE CURVE. Why are we talking about investors when we should be talking about something else? Something important, something that everyone is pretending is not happening. How about you CNN? Why don't you send your best reporters on this hot subject? We need more Pepsi and aluminum foil!

November 11, 2010 at 6:52 am | Report abuse |
  2. Astarte

Cesar, would you stop with the childish comments toward Dr Bad. He is a tormented human being that needs compassion and understanding. Why don't you stop and think about what your immature comments might be doing to someone.

November 11, 2010 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  3. cesar

@Astarte. You're kidding right? Army nurse, FBI, CIA and he says he is in charge of over a million troops in Iraq. Aren't you taking this joke just a little too far? Or are you another one of his many army nurses?

November 11, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Flowerchild

Dr. Bad- go to h-ll!

November 11, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Rita Tonucci aka Flowerchild

CNN staff- why post my blog and then pull it? I'm a very benign individual. I gotta worry about a news service like yours. And I'll be informing many, many others as to your tactics as to posting blogs. It doesn't make sense to refuse to post any of my blogs. They weren't inciteful nor did they EVER include profanity. Why pick on me? I'm a very nice person. I'm convinced CNN News staff are not!!!

November 11, 2010 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Rita Tonucci aka Flowerchild

CnN NewStaff-I cannot believe you posted and then deleted my 2 blogs. I AM NEVER DONE ADVISING my DEMOCRATIC FRIENDS-including some Democratic politicians-as to what scoundrels ( or tea party repubs) you are. So please have a lousy and especially non-prosperous holiday season. You REALLY deserve that or, at least, one good night in bed w/ Sarah Palin-which I know all your staff want for Christmas!

November 11, 2010 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Rita Tonucci aka Flowerchild

CNN-please be advised that because you have posted 3 of my blogs and then quickly deleted all 3; I have spoken w/ a staff-person at a Dem politician in CA. WE SPOKE AS TO THE CONTENT OF TODAY'S BLOGS AND THE 4 OTHERS I submitted. We concluded that CNN may have some kinda agenda which DOES not include liberal Dems. We're considering e-mailing Carville to inform him. CNN CAN FOLLOW OUR RIGHT-LEANING COUNTRY( for the ratings & the cash) AND THE "RED TIDE"-which took over on Nov 2,- AT THE EXPENSE OF THE ELDERLY, DISABLED AND POOR. But your boss-who once suffered from mental illness himself-should, certainly, remember,"But for the grace of GOD go I" We Dems won't forget how you treat my blogs!! See ya next election. And as your beloved Sarah Palin would add, I'll add "You betcha".

November 11, 2010 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Rita Tonucci aka Flowerchild

CNN- I'm truly amazed that you pulled my blog so quickly; nevertheless, this time my FRIEND, WHO WORKS FOR A CA Dem pol. saw all 4 blogs. BEFORE, I became disabled, I was well known by many Dem pols and pol operatives. Now that my pol friend has seen all of my blogs(today's), which you posted and then, quickly, deleted; we can begin -as a truly united Ca Democratic party -to determine how to deal w/ you all. It's quite clear that you all want to shed any Democratic affiliations. Yet, your boss did suffer from mental illness-if I remember correctly. And you'd think he'd care. If I were Jane, I'dda left too. I don't care if you don't post this or quickly delete it. We Dems will have it for Carville. Maybe he's ready to play hardball.

November 11, 2010 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |