November 10th, 2010

iReport daily challenge: #BeAHero for veterans

Editor's Note: Learn about the top 10 CNN Heroes of 2010 and vote for the CNN Hero of the Year at CNNHeroes.com.

On Thursday, Americans pay tribute to the veterans who have served during war or peacetime and continue to do so.

CNN has been offering daily challenges we can each do to make the world better. For the next one, we invite you to “Be A Hero” for our military heroes.

Salute a family member, friend or neighbor who is currently in the military or has served, by doing one or more of the following:

-Thank them for their service in person
-Send them an email
-Post a message on their Facebook page
-Send a Tweet with the hashtag #BeAHero.

We’d love to hear what you did in the comments below, or on iReport.

1. Santos S. Chapa, RMCS(SW) USN(ret)

THANKS to those who served and those who continue to serve! You are the reason this country is great!

November 10, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Devin

Thanks, Senior! You, too. Fair Winds and Following Seas.

AO1 Devin Charles

November 10, 2010 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill

You're welcome Santos! Thanks for your service as well.

Captain W.N. Sorah USMC ret.

November 11, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • clr

Veterans Day has always been an emotional holiday four our family given how many of our generations have served this Country. This year was particularly special as my Marine son was severely wounded in Afghanistan, but survived and is now being restored to active duty to continue to serve. I have e-mailed or posted an electronic eCard from AmericanGreetings to every retired and active duty Veteran I know. It took hours, but it is what I do. I sent 30 cups of coffee to our troops serving in the war zone via the Cup-of-Joe for a Joe project so that it was instantly sent to our men and women in the zone. I have called my son, to wish him a Happy Veterans Day, and I have hugged my father, who is also a Veteran. And I have cried.

November 11, 2010 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Lori Kline New York State

Thank You present and past veterans...... May God Bless you always....... Love and prayers being sent your way....

November 10, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • almxx

If you're an average American, you're fighting for your family's safety and the safety of others like you. You are fighting for your country. If you're a billionaire, your country is fighting for you.

November 11, 2010 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • whatnext

Sorry almxx, that doesn't qualify you for a nomination for CNN Hero. Thanks to past and present veterans, whether we agreed with the conflicts or not. And I'm glad to hear about the memorial for disabled vets.

November 11, 2010 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  3. katy Heys

Thank you to all our veterans!

November 10, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • John D., Retired USN & USA (honorably served on both services)

Thank you to all that I have served with and served for while abroad and domestic.
      It was a blast serving our great country on weekends, holidays, in freezing nights and hottest days.
      It is equaly exciting now that I am serving my kids and wife full time being retired.
      Regards to all.

November 10, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  4. David Donovan

Last month I was chatting with someone I just met, and upon learning he was a Vietnam veteran, thanked him for his service. He replied with a shocked, "You know, no one has ever said that to me before." It made me sad. Whether you agree with war or not, politics or not, the military or not, etc., the fact is that young men and women put their lives on the line every day doing a thankless job – protecting your American freedom. God bless everyone who has ever served this country in the military, and THANK YOU for your service.

November 10, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Thanks to all Veterans and don't forget to thank our young military people when you see them in the airports. Don't forget because that young man or woman may be a long way from his home and family.

November 10, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chrissy

Thank you for saying that. It is true. Often when traveling, especially for fresh new recruits, the military member is either heading into something they know little about, or else are they are eagerly awaiting a reunion with loved ones. In either case, they are alone, and hearing that really picks them up!
      At first it was a little awkward to hear, because I didn't really know what was the proper response...as I didn't feel a thanks was required at all. At the time, I felt that it was an honor to be serving and my chosen profession–so no thanks needed. But I gradually learned to reply without pause, "thank you for that, it means a lot to hear" as my response. Because it truly came to mean a lot; that some stranger actually took the time out to just let you know that they acknowledged you and the sacrifices you make as a member of the armed services.
      And do you know when it felt the best? When it was said on just any old day...without it being Veterans Day or Memorial Day. Luckily, there are a lot of good people out there, because I heard it a lot. –unlike a lot of the Vietnam Veterans who got a chilly reception in their days. Be sure to thank the older vets you know from that time...they really need to hear it! and deservedly so!
      ~Chrissy (Regular Army 88-94)

November 11, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Lando35mm

Thank a Veteran by enlisting!

November 10, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Christopher Alan Fields - Muncie Indiana USA

"In"

November 10, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Terry

We thank our son for his service in the army each Veteran's Day, and tell him how proud we are of him. A story I'd like to share. My son and his buddy were flying home on leave from Fairbanks Alaska. While waiting in Anchorage for a flight to the lower 48, and having a bite to eat, they were approached by two gentlemen in Alaska on a hunting trip. They offered to pay for their meal and to buy them a drink, at the same time thanking them for their service to our country. During the conversation my son learned that they were from a New Hamoshire town not too far from where we live in Massachusettes . Small world. He was so obviously touched by their generosity and words of encouragment while telling us this story. I hope to some day, be there to thank a young soldier and do the same. Our men and women in uniform need to know how much we care and think about them everyday as they selflessly serve our country.

November 10, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Bob, US Army Cavalry

This 22 year old cav trooper has been thanked countless times but I'm just doing a job I enjoy for a country I love. Thank you family members, friends, and even complete strangers who go out of your way to support us. Nothing is more uplifting to a Soldier than knowing that people still care.

November 10, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • swaerengen

Garry Owen

November 10, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • ODA155

GARRY OWEN! 2-7 Cav, 3BDE 1st Cav Div, 1993 – 1995

November 10, 2010 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jamie

I'm a sister of a 4-10 Cav. Many thanks to you sir! I understand how tough your MOS is.

November 11, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  10. cathyh

A huge thank you to all of our veterans. My son is currently serving in Afghanistan and is getting ready to come home on December 4 after a one year tour. I second what Claudia from Houston said above – – don't forget to thank our veterans when you see them in the airport because they may be a long way from home and their family. My late Dad and late Father-in-Law were veterans too. God Bless all of our veterans for serving our country!!!!!

November 10, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Greg

First off, Happy Birthday Marines, Semper Fidelis and OOH RAH!! A huge thanks goes out to all veterans everywhere from every branch of the military. Respect and honor have been earned by all of you. Have a happy veterans day and bless you.

November 10, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  12. JEM

If it should become necessary for various states to secede from the union as it was in 1861, how many US solders will obey their orders to invade and occupy those states? How many US solders would obey orders to fire upon civilians? We are not that far from such a scenario.

November 10, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daughter and Mother of a Veteran

JEM – If you are so against this country and people thanking Veterans for the service, then why don't you move out of the United States. We would be much better off with people like you not living here. What have you done for your family, friends and citizens? My daughter served almost 8 years in the Air Force serving 4 tours (Saudi Arabia/Iraq; Qatar; Iraq and Kuwait). She is my hero and always will be.

November 11, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jamie

You're intellect is awful at best. Where do those orders come from Jem? Our President and Sec of Defense mainly make these larger scale decisions. Sounds like you have a problem with the gov't and are misdirecting it at the soldiers. Take it up with the right people. And while you're at it please immediately stop trolling, leave this message board and enroll in high schol spelling and civics. PLEASE.

November 11, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  13. JEM

Ask someone from the Philippians about the history of US solders supporting freedom and liberty

November 10, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Tom

Driving 2 hours to spend some time with my 87 year old father. P-47 pilot, shot down over Germany and survived POW Camp. What a guy. My hero.

November 10, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • CKT

Wish him a hearty Thank You from me.

November 10, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • abby

Thank him for us - God bless him.

November 10, 2010 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jeff H. FTG1(ss) 87-95 SSBN 655 and SSN758

Thanks to those who have served and those who continue to serve. Fare winds to Anthony Newman of Gilbert Arizona, who'll be shipping off to Navy basic training in 9 days, you'll make a great Fire Control tech...

November 10, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |