November 10th, 2010

iReport daily challenge: #BeAHero for veterans

Editor's Note: Learn about the top 10 CNN Heroes of 2010 and vote for the CNN Hero of the Year at CNNHeroes.com.

On Thursday, Americans pay tribute to the veterans who have served during war or peacetime and continue to do so.

CNN has been offering daily challenges we can each do to make the world better. For the next one, we invite you to “Be A Hero” for our military heroes.

Salute a family member, friend or neighbor who is currently in the military or has served, by doing one or more of the following:

-Thank them for their service in person
-Send them an email
-Post a message on their Facebook page
-Send a Tweet with the hashtag #BeAHero.

We’d love to hear what you did in the comments below, or on iReport.

1. Bob, USN Ret

JEM, I am sorry you have such a narrow jaded view of our military men and women. But remember who preserves your right to express it. May God Bless you!

November 10, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Ty

As a veteran of the U.S. military who served during peacetime, I would like to thank those who have served during wartime. Both those who have given the ultimate sacrifice and those who made it home, I hope you can be as proud of your duty as I know most of us are of you. Thank you and may God bless.

November 10, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Bob

I make it a point to stop whenever I see any current soldier, regardless of rank, shake their hand and thank them for serving our country. You would be surprised at how many of them appreciate that little gesture. I will continue to do this as long as we have soldiers in the service.

November 10, 2010 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • bill

@ bob thank you i am glad that someone else does that .
      i do the same every place i go and some times the vets are shocked but pleased that they are recognized
      i hope more people would do it , it doesn't cost a dime but makes someone feel better

November 10, 2010 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • army girlfriend

thank you. i tell my soldier who's currently in afghanistan how much he means to me, but i love that he and others are appreciated by so many

November 10, 2010 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Dave LT, MC, USN

As a current Navy medical officer, I'd like to especially thank my hard-working corpsmen who do all the heroics to get our injured marines and sailors back to medical care.

November 10, 2010 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Corpsman1

Thank you sir!

November 10, 2010 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • abby

Thank you and God bless you and your crew.

November 10, 2010 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  5. mikeb1

I am sorry but it is getting way to easy to be a hero...Thank a Veteran and you are a hero? Come on eat a dorrito your a hero, go in the potty your a hero too! we are all a bunch of heros for doing nothing at all. As a veteran who is not a hero, I think of a dead friend of mine who was and I feel that word cheapened. I understand the well meaning intent of those who thank veterans and it is appreceated and I am not trying to take away from people anything they earned but good intentions and a thenk you do not make you a hero.

November 10, 2010 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • NickB5

Agreed. I too served and feel uncomfortable with how that word is being so easily tossed around now. The Heroes are the ones that don't come home to there loved ones.

November 10, 2010 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  6. DEF, USAF

Let JEM say what he wishes to say. Bottom line is, those Veterans actually did served and gave something for what they belived in, but all he is doing is spewing bile on the internet.

November 10, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • JEM

I do not dispute that veterans have sacrificed much with the greatest intentions.
      That does not mean they succeeded at achieving what they desired. Lots of people have served
      in various military's hoping to win liberty, freedom, security and safety for themselves and their
      people.

That does not mean they succeeded. That does not mean they got what they fought, bled and died for.
      Liberty is not won fighting on behalf of a government.

The United States is no longer the "Land of the Free" as it once was when the power of the state was small. The
      United States is now the worlds "Prison Nation" locking up more of its citizens for more reasons than any other country
      on the planet. The US has 5% of the worlds population yet locks up 25% of the worlds prisoners. I fail to understand
      what freedoms our solders are defending.

November 10, 2010 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  7. ODA155

I retired in 1998 after 22 years of active service... to all of my brothers and sisters who's ever worn or continues to wear the uniform and of our country... THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

November 10, 2010 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  8. xibo

Thank you for your outstanding service in our countries time of need. God is still watching over you as you adjust to being back in the states so keep that in mind. While you were away each and every person in this country was greatly affected by your service. If you can get through what you have then you have the fuel to bring you back. Have a very nice holdiay season please.

November 10, 2010 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  9. JEM

How many veterans would obey orders to do house to house searches for illegal guns in St. Louis?
    How many veterans would obey orders to operate roadblocks and search cars for similar contraband?
    If our veterans are willing to violate the second amendment if ordered, than what good are they in defending
    our freedom?

Solders are only as useful as their orders. Even our solders have proven themselves capable of heinous acts
    when given bad orders or fed bad info. Solders by necessity must trust those over them and in so doing are
    capable of becoming very dangerous to their fellow countrymen.

November 10, 2010 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • dAWG

jEMM YOU SOUNDS LIKE A DRAFT DODGER IF YOU DONT LIKE IT HERE GET OUT OF U.SA. AND SEE IF YOU CAN FIND A COUNTRY THAT IS SAFER THAN USA i DOUBT THAT YOU WILL

November 10, 2010 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daughter and Mother of a Veteran

JEM – go climb back under that rock you crawled out from under.

God Bless our Veterans and the United States of America!

November 11, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Tom

Looks like some of you watch Glenn Beck a bit too much. OOps! Have to go outside ..... A U.N. black helicopter just landed in my front yard. Internment camp here I come.

November 10, 2010 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jay

I was gassing up my car next to an active duty soldier. Made some small talk with him and found out he was on leave and that he and his fiance were heading to a party that night. They had gassed up with the change he could find in his car so I asked if he would mind if I filled up the rest of his car as my way of saying thanks for his service and sacrifice. It was a very cool opportunity that just presented itself at the right time and place. Thank you active duty and veterans!

November 10, 2010 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • operageek

Jay, what a good deed that you did – way to go! And to all the past and current soldiers, thanks for making us safe! I couldn't thank you enough for what you did or do for our country and us people. THANK YOU!!

November 11, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  12. ODA155

To JEM and others... I'm not going to get into an Internet scrap over who's politics and beliefs are right or wrong... what I want to say is that would it be too much to ask that you respect that other people would like to take the time to acknowledge these brave Americans for their service.

Look, if you want, there are plenty of other forums where you can vent your anger and voice your opinions, but i just feel that this is not the place for it... not now. I'm a retired 22 year veteran of the US Army, spent almost all of it in the 82nd Airborne, Ranger and Special Operations, you'd be surprised to know how I feel about some of the things that I hear coming out of these wars, but as I've said, this is not the place for it. I love my fellow soldiers, because to me, I will always be a soldier, and that's all inclusive, Marines, Sailors, Airmen and Coaties.

So, again, let it go, don't criticize or point fingers unless you've walked a mile in those boots. Thank you.

November 10, 2010 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • CKT

Excellent post ODA155. Thank you for it and thank You for your service to this Great Country. Beer is on me!

November 10, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  13. David Eaton

As a Veteran I thank all of you for your positive comments. I wish all wars could be avoided. However, historically, that is not to be.
    I would, however, enjoy fighting just one more war. Albeit a very brief one I assure you. And, even illegal. Between me and "JEM" somewhere in a parking lot. In defense of all Veterans, and the millions of people who live in a Free nation...the USA.
    There is a huge difference between intellect and stupidity. And intellect is obviously not one of your strong points.

November 10, 2010 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  14. John DiSpirito

As a fellow veteran I salute and honor all Veterans who served their country. I am proud of each and every one of them!

November 10, 2010 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  15. DSW USARMY RET.

Many vets including myself really appreciate the support and thanks... it really does make a positive impact with us.

November 10, 2010 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |