November 10th, 2010

iReport daily challenge: #BeAHero for veterans

Editor's Note: Learn about the top 10 CNN Heroes of 2010 and vote for the CNN Hero of the Year at CNNHeroes.com.

On Thursday, Americans pay tribute to the veterans who have served during war or peacetime and continue to do so.

CNN has been offering daily challenges we can each do to make the world better. For the next one, we invite you to “Be A Hero” for our military heroes.

Salute a family member, friend or neighbor who is currently in the military or has served, by doing one or more of the following:

-Thank them for their service in person
-Send them an email
-Post a message on their Facebook page
-Send a Tweet with the hashtag #BeAHero.

We’d love to hear what you did in the comments below, or on iReport.

1. Snodgrass, USA Ret.

I will make the challenge a little broader. When you see a hat that says Viet Nam Vet tell them Welcome Home. WW I vets, WW II vet had parades. Korean war vets were welcomed back. Nam vets had things thrown at them and were called baby killer. These men and women were in a very unpopular war, but they went and served with honor.

Thanks them all. They deserve that and more.

November 10, 2010 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • operageek

Right on! Thanks again to all the VETERANS.

November 11, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Andrea

Thanks to all our American military and their families- for all you do and sacrifice- from the bottom of my heart. Very much appreciated. May God be with all of our fallen soldiers- and continue to give strength and guidance to all who are serving and have served.

November 10, 2010 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Bev

Thanks to all of the veterans. You are the best. You keep us safe and ensure we continue to be free. I too believe the Viet Nam Vets deserve a special thank you and welcome home. They endured much hatred for only doing their job.

November 10, 2010 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Stephen Childers

I went to an oldies concert in Kansas City around 2002, I believe. Gary Puckett and The Union Gap asked all the veterans to stand up and dedicated a song to them. Being retired Navy, I proudly stood up and acknowledge my status along with several other brothers and sisters. But, the part that hit me the hardest was when a 25 year old, at most, woman patted me on the back and thanked me for my service. A tear comes to my eye even now as I type this...as it did then. Keep the faith. There ARE those out there that care, and some of them will really surprise you. To all of you... IT WAS AN HONOR.

November 10, 2010 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Translation

You won't be a hero if you thank a veteran any more than you'll be a hero if you're a veteran.
    - From a veteran

November 10, 2010 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chandra Colorado Springs

And do not forget to thank the Veterans Spouses of which I am one and am also a Veteran.

November 11, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Translation

I don't presume to speak for other veterans, but as one myself I tend to agree with the views of former Marine Corps General (and 2x Medal of Honor winner) Smedley Butler: war is a racket fought mainly for the suits in corporate America.

November 10, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jeff Chace

As the proud son of a USMC Veteran and someone who works in a nursing home taking care of many, many WW II and Korean War Veterans I am extremely grateful for the wisdom all of these men and women have shared with me. I do my best to thank each and every Veteran that I meet for their service and sacrifices and have the utmost respect for them for their patriotism. Please take the time to think about the fact that last Tuesday we were able to go the polls and express our displeasure and vote many new leaders into office in both our local communities and the U.S. congress, SAFELY AND FREELY, thanks to our Veterans and currently active services men and women! Happy Veteran's Day to all our Veterans and thank you very, very much to you and your families for defending our country and the freedoms we enjoy each day!

November 10, 2010 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  8. pkfops

Thank a Vet by not letting the government cut our benefits. Make sure you know where your congressman stands on veteran's issues before you vote.

November 10, 2010 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  9. billlaux

View this video honoring our veterans...

November 10, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  10. cesar

I can say Bob backwards...."Bob."

November 10, 2010 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mark

Thank you all for everything you do and have done for all of us. God Bless.

November 10, 2010 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  12. YAGO

Does anyone remembers the reason of celebrating Veterans Day???

November 10, 2010 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Nastyrican

To those of us currently in OEF...Currahee!!! and to those at home thank you!

November 10, 2010 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  14. mbeyor

Jem, what keeps you in America? You appear so full of hate and contempt for this Great land, one has to wonder why you're still here. I served proudly (in peacetime) about 25 years ago, and understood what freedom meant when I looked at the Berlin Wall. It came down a few years later, and I then really understood what it was all about. You have the right to relocate. Why not take advantage of the right I served to protect?

November 10, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |