November 10th, 2010

iReport daily challenge: #BeAHero for veterans

Editor's Note: Learn about the top 10 CNN Heroes of 2010 and vote for the CNN Hero of the Year at CNNHeroes.com.

On Thursday, Americans pay tribute to the veterans who have served during war or peacetime and continue to do so.

CNN has been offering daily challenges we can each do to make the world better. For the next one, we invite you to “Be A Hero” for our military heroes.

Salute a family member, friend or neighbor who is currently in the military or has served, by doing one or more of the following:

-Thank them for their service in person
-Send them an email
-Post a message on their Facebook page
-Send a Tweet with the hashtag #BeAHero.

We’d love to hear what you did in the comments below, or on iReport.

1. Johnny X

I served in the military for 7 years. I earned medals and was honorably discharged. I heard "Thank you for serving" twice in my life. Both times, it occurred during a job interview where it was code for "you aren't getting the job." So, keep your disingenuous comments to yourselves and consider hiring a veteran – even if the possibility exists that they may be recalled at some point in the future.

November 10, 2010 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mike in San Antonio

Sorry everyone, but if you served, you served partially to give JEM the right to speak whatever he/she feels...at the same time, that also gives everyone else the right to say what they want about him/her too. Equality...bites sometimes, right JEM?

November 10, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  3. abby

From the bottom of my heart I offer my appreciation and thanksgiving to all our veterans - to all who have served and to all who are serving today. One of my nephews is still serving in the Army and on another deployment. He and his older brother (who is now out of service) are fourth generation in our family serving in time of war. For those of you who have never seen war get down on your knees and thank God you haven't gotten to know "the hell where youth and laughter go." God bless our troops. I pray that they will all be home from all wars soon, very very soon.

November 10, 2010 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  4. leemsquirm

be a hero slap one in the face and say that's one for being a coward war criminal.

November 10, 2010 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  5. abby

I really get ticked off every time I hear some football player or baseball player called a role model or heroic – the real heroes are those who are willing to put their lives on the line for an incredibly insufficient salary. It's our military that deserve the million dollar contracts, not the athlete.

Please remember to thank our military every day - not just Veterans' Day. You have no idea how much they will appreciate it.

November 10, 2010 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mehdi General Dr Bad

no talks. no truces.no deals. no cease fires.

November 10, 2010 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • RedLeg

Cool. I'm all for that. I hope to be back there soon.

November 10, 2010 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Gina Haldimann

To all the vets from all the wars...THANK YOU for your service to our country.

November 10, 2010 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Confused

When are we going to realize and thank all those "other" government employees who SERVE and are usually vilified like the CIA, NSA, FBI, and other security agencies? They do just as much if not more to protect this country and put their lives on the line. If you don't believe me just turn on the news and it was intelligence agencies and law enforcement agencies that stopped the cargo bombs and the Metro bombs. NOT the military. However, most of it is done in secret and the men and women never get thanked, never get medals, nor do they get a lot of the other perks that even some recruit gets just for signing up in the military. Seems to me anymore that as soon as you sign-up you are automatically granted "hero status" in the military. All the other people that work damn hard for our freedoms and safety get a big middle finger I guess.

November 10, 2010 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Terri Blevins

I would like to thank my father, brother, husband, sons, and all past and present members of the military. I am a proud daughter, sister, and wife of a military veteran and the proud mother of two amazing sons who serve this great nation in Afghanistan. I would raise my hand again and serve my country for the right to be free. Please take a moment and thank a veteran in person so they know they did not sacrfice for naught.

November 10, 2010 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Original Meaning

I thought Veterans Day was to honor all those COMBAT veterans who served in World War ONE. I like now how anyone and everyone is a veteran and gets all the rights, privileges, points, and benefits thereunto. Isn't it kind of a slap in the face to people who saw combat or died or were injured when some chairborne ranger gets the same "veteran" status and benefits?

November 10, 2010 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  11. kvoroshilov

Thanks for the brave soldiers that fought imperialist aggressors, even facing overwhelming enemy power.

You will not be forgotten.

November 10, 2010 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  12. andrei

Jingoism and fascism run thick in this thread.

November 10, 2010 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Ralph Moerschbacher

My great-great grandfather served in Company D of the 177th PA Volunteers in the Civil War. My grandfather was on a destroyer in WW 1. My father landed on Omaha Beach at 10:25 in the morning of DDAY, 6 June 1944 (wounded twice). I served 2 tours in Vietnam and Desert Storm. This country is great and we as a family chose to serve. The only thing I wonder about today, is why do we have to fight wars with 60 year olds, Army Major Steven Hutchinson, who was killed last year. We recently lost a soldier on his 12th tour in Iraq and Afghanistan. We have to many who haven't served yet and if we are going to fight wars, win them. Ralph Moerschbacher, Captain, USAF Retired Vietnam and Desert Storm Veteran OOH RAA

November 10, 2010 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  14. G.I Joe

Ye,s I was also drafted and served – In peacetime Germany. Rather enjoyed it. Most vets never see combat and there is nothing particularly heroic about what we do. A myth propagated by our military worshiping country. A dangerous trend
    Restore the draft. Then we can all be heroes.

November 10, 2010 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  15. SJL

I am the daughter of a career Military Veteran of 32 years, WWII and Korea. I am proud to be the mother of a Soldier who deployed 2 times and getting ready for his 3rd. I am proud of all the men and women who serve for our country. I cannot understand some of the negativity of some of the posts on here. What is to be gained by criticizing Soldiers? To Mehdi General Dr Bad and Jem what do you do? If you have any freedom at all how do you think that came about? I will tell you, it is from Brave Soldiers. Tell me about your sacrifices in life? What is your career path? Just makes me wonder. Thank you to our Veterans.

November 10, 2010 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |