November 10th, 2010

iReport daily challenge: #BeAHero for veterans

Editor's Note: Learn about the top 10 CNN Heroes of 2010 and vote for the CNN Hero of the Year at CNNHeroes.com.

On Thursday, Americans pay tribute to the veterans who have served during war or peacetime and continue to do so.

CNN has been offering daily challenges we can each do to make the world better. For the next one, we invite you to “Be A Hero” for our military heroes.

Salute a family member, friend or neighbor who is currently in the military or has served, by doing one or more of the following:

-Thank them for their service in person
-Send them an email
-Post a message on their Facebook page
-Send a Tweet with the hashtag #BeAHero.

We’d love to hear what you did in the comments below, or on iReport.

1. mark

Also thank the workers who pay for the wars and military,and live in a bad economy because of it.The military is a volunteer army,and a way to get payed in a bad economy with no jobs.Thankfully,alot of the military folks I meet seem dedicated to this country,even if the wars arent always necessary.Alot of them didnt just join for the money.

November 11, 2010 at 7:02 am | Report abuse |
  2. Soldiers Daughter

Thank you Daddy , Rest in peace. Thank you to you all that have and are still serving. GOD BLESS .

November 11, 2010 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  3. Rebecca Vela

My father served in WW II.

November 11, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Chesty Puller

This article here best sums up my feelings about your column: http://thenudistonline.com/

November 11, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Chandra

Today, Veterans Day, I posted two video links in honor of All of My American Serving Heroes on Facebook and Twitter. I thanked all spouses that also serve. I replaced my Facebook profile picture with one that shows my honor and respect. I sent email messages to everyone that I could think of that either served or is serving. I cried. I got on my knees thanking God for each and every last person that serves over Land, or Sea or in the Air. God keep them safe.

November 11, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bobo

I think it's really bad they give up life for nothing

November 11, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Calvin

I'd like to thank my brother Kevin, ANG Staff Sgt., who served 2 years as guard at Gitmo and one year in the Green Zone in Iraq and his daughter, who served one year in Kuwait.

November 11, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  8. JD

Why is it we wait until Veterans Day to say 'thank you' to all the men and women who risk their lives for OUR freedom? It should happen daily. A HUGE thank you goes out to those who serve our country, their families who endure months and years without their loved ones, and all those who have lost someone to war. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for doing something so courageous, so brave, and so selfless. God Bless You and God Bless America.

November 11, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jamie

I'm the proudest big sister in the world of a first year vet-my brother, US Army Cavarly stationed in Iraq. I recently sent him a box and included a Veteran's Day card. I had everyone I could get sign it for him and his unit. He was so excited and just shocked. He's hanging it in a common area for all of them. I was in tears that whole day in my office as everyone signed it and offered their help to build them a care package. Letting those fantastic men and women know that you're thinking of them with a small gesture is one of the best things to do for their morale, and thanking them makes them feel that what their doing isn't lost all these miles away.
    My other brother is about to leave for Navy boot camp in June. As much as I hate them being away there is no prouder sister in the whole world that I am of them.

November 11, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Parth

I am 23 year old. I went and visited a local US Vet Center. I talked to soliders from Korean war, Vietnam, and WWII. I learned one thing that you may not support the war, but after listening to the soliders, you can not help not to support the people fighting that war. Thank you to all the vets for uncounted peaceful nights of sleep and for your selfless, and brave act.

November 11, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Army_Girlfriend

I would like to thank all the service-men-women- veterans-male-female for serving our country.
    My sister Lisa and brother Eric both served in Iraq.
    My boyfriend is currently in Iraq anxiously awaiting his arrival back home. My uncle served in Vietnam.
    A soldier- a veteran is brave.. putting their life on the line for our country.. our freedom. thank you to you all. you are brave and strong.. we thank you for serving our country. God bless you all. May god watch over you and keep you safe.

November 11, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Meet A Hero. Thank A Vet.

Meet A Hero. Thank A Vet!

November 11, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  13. GAVenter

While I don't always support the initiative, I certainly support our veterans and their service to the greatest country on earth! Without the armed forces this country would be a disaster. May God Bless all those who serve.

November 11, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Steve

Marines,USAF,Coast Guard,Army,Navy...all the men,women,moms,dads,sisters and brothers....I thank you all. I grew up on many military bases around the world....always saw nothing but the best! America is second to none. Be thankful for what they've sacrificed and what we have today. I salute you all.

November 11, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |