November 10th, 2010

iReport daily challenge: #BeAHero for veterans

Editor's Note: Learn about the top 10 CNN Heroes of 2010 and vote for the CNN Hero of the Year at CNNHeroes.com.

On Thursday, Americans pay tribute to the veterans who have served during war or peacetime and continue to do so.

CNN has been offering daily challenges we can each do to make the world better. For the next one, we invite you to “Be A Hero” for our military heroes.

Salute a family member, friend or neighbor who is currently in the military or has served, by doing one or more of the following:

-Thank them for their service in person
-Send them an email
-Post a message on their Facebook page
-Send a Tweet with the hashtag #BeAHero.

We’d love to hear what you did in the comments below, or on iReport.

1. SoldiersWife

Thank a Veteran today and EVERY day. http://www.usba.com/ThankAVet.

November 11, 2010 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Phatrat

Who is more fool?.....the fool (Jem)?....or the fools that argue with the fool? When will you people realize that the attention that you give is the attention that they need? Quit supporting narcissism and ignore these obviously off subject negative attention seeking comments or else appear foolish yourself.

Seriously, every blog I read has at least a few characters who just want to get a rise out of people and start arguments. It never ceases to amaze me how willing people are to oblige them. Trust me, ignoring these people will anger them to no end.

November 11, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Phatrat

@Matt
    I love when somEone makes a valid pOint, so the first thing people do is reMark on spelling, punctuation and grammer since there is no logicaL defence. Im not writing a book here. It's a blog dude. u DiG?

November 11, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Chris

I come from a family that has at least one veteran in each generation. I'm proud to say that I am that one in my generation of my family, joining my Father (Korean War, US Army), My grandfather (WWI, US Army) and my GreatGrandfather (Union Army, Pennsylvania Civil War). Thank you to all those that have serve so that I had the opportunity to do the same.

November 11, 2010 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  5. carlos

as a Nam Vet, I proudly stand and salute ALL my fellow VETS from ALL the wars.

Death before Dishonor, 82nd Airborne and De Oppresso Liber........anyone out there??????

November 11, 2010 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  6. carlos

82nd Airborne....De Oppresso Liber....Death Before Dishonor......as a Nam Vet, I proudly stand and salute ALL my fellow VETS from ALL wars

November 11, 2010 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Phatrat

I would like to remind people to reflect on the little freedoms they have and take for granted, like being able to put your bare feet on the ground, home cooked meals, and sleep. Many of our warriors will not have that luxury tonight. May the U.S. continue to be a force for good and freedom throughout this troubled world. Thank you and happy Veterans Day.

November 11, 2010 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Rich

First of all: Veterans, thank you so much for your service. YOU ARE HEROES.

Secondly, CNN does injustice to the very word hero to say that someone who's willing to take two seconds to talk or type is a hero by that very act. Don't water down an important word that should be reflected purely on our veterans today instead of on everyone else.

November 11, 2010 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Old Fool

I would like to respond to Ty E, who is the proud parent of a sailor. My mother is the proud parent of a sailor. I am US Navy 1968 thru 1971, Pacific fleet. I am a non- combat veteran of the Vietnam Era and proud to say so. I am not a fan of that war and really never was. Back then, during the draft, people went to great lengths to avoid service and the possibility of going to the meanest war on earth at the time. The Navy was my way out of the draft. I think it was a great choice for me. I have benefited from that experience greatly. I would like to let you know that you are a warrior too. My mother can tell you how many days I served because she fretted through every one of them. Next to a wife and/or child the parents are the most important part of the support system. You are obviously a loving parent so you understand what I am saying. Almost 40 years later it's wonderful to share the memories with her and let her know how important her role was in my success in the Navy. (I was 2nd Class Petty Officer at discharge) On this day when we honor those men and women who have handed themselves over to our country and said, "do what you will with me," we must take time to honor the parents and spouses and children who have handed themselves over to their country as well. I salute you and I thank you for YOUR service.

November 11, 2010 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jeannie Hartley

John Patrick Youngerman NAVY SEAL born 6-19-1969 died serving his country while with SEAL TEAM FOUR in Panama 4-26-1996. Late husband to my daughter Kimberly Youngerman and father of my grandson Aidan Patrick Youngerman. I posted his picture on twitter and face book in tribute to my late Son-In Law( used hashtag # BeAHero.
    This was an AMAZING man. WE MISS HIM DEARLY.

November 11, 2010 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  11. KAREN

What else can you say by THANK YOU!

November 11, 2010 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Chuck D.

Thank the Soldiers on Facebook at http://www.thankthesoldiers.net

November 11, 2010 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Chuck D.

see our facebook page ....Thank The Soldiers

November 11, 2010 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Peter, San Francisco

To all the men and women serving in armed services around the world, and to all the veterans: I salute you, and thank you for your service to our country. I would not be alive today, and comfortably typing this message on my computer, if it weren't for you. I will never forget that. God bless you all, and God bless America.

November 14, 2010 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Navy SEALs Son

My father was a proud Navy SEAL and served with SEAL TEAM 4. 1996 my mom was told my dad is KIA. ( Killed In Action ) I would like to thank every single SEAL for what they have done for our country Along with rest of Americas soldiers. God Bless.

November 24, 2010 at 2:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Navy SEALs Son

And Yes i am Aidan Youngerman. This IS the same story in Hartleys post.

November 24, 2010 at 2:51 am | Report abuse |