November 10th, 2010

Train kills 20 cows

A herd of cows wandered onto a railroad line at the wrong time Tuesday, and it did not end well.

A 6,700-foot Norfolk Southern train plowed through the herd in the darkness about 6 a.m., a statement from the Clark County, Ohio, sheriff's office said.

The train, which was traveling at 38 mph, killed 20 cows, the sheriff's office said. The value of the animals was not known, and the owner was not named.

The accident, which happened about 40 miles west of Columbus, disabled the train's lead locomotive and blocked a rural highway for three hours, the statement said. No humans were injured.

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Ohio • U.S.
  1. Steve (the big one)

To bad it wasn't 20 dallas Cowboys. ROMO included

November 10, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Osama Bin Drinkin'

This was no accident, it was clearly the work of Al Cow-da!!!

November 10, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Andrew

Beef – It's whats for dinner

November 10, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Anna

Poor cows. They don't deserve that.

November 10, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  5. JackieInDallas

WHAT the HELL were the cows doing roaming free on a railroad easement in the first place? This may be funny in some ways, but serious damages (besides to the cows) could have ensued. If that had been a passenger train and derailed, it could have killed dozens of people. If the train had freight, and that freight was damaged, then the farmer is liable. If the train had been pulling chemical cars, and those cars had been derailed and burst, then not only human and animal deaths could have happened, but major environmental damage could have too.

November 10, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  6. deanna

Umm johnnyr I have just two questions for you were you born stupid or do you have to work at it I mean really. We all know you just had to tell everyone you're an idiot we now know so shut the. H up I would tell you get a life but I think that's a little beyond your reach

November 10, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jcthinker

There's the beef !!

November 10, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  8. G-Man

Don't cry over spilled milk.

November 10, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  9. deanna

Found out where the beef went lol

November 10, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Chris

I think this is a Chick-Fil-A plot to Eat More Chicken !!!

November 10, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Matt B

Cant wait to hear what PETA has to say about this one

November 10, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Bob Frapples

Hi Heard the Engineer's Last words were,"MOOOOOOOOOVE!"

November 10, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  13. brooklynmc

So, being a city boy, do trains run through farmland with no fences to protect their cattle, or were these cows trespassing?

November 10, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • JackieInDallas

Well, in some ways, I guess you can call it tresspassing. In reality, since cows cannot make intellectual judgement or conscious choice to do something illegal (which is what tresspassing is), I'd have to say that they were in the wrong place at the wrong time. The farmer who didn't keep them inside a controlled area is the one who really made the mistake.

November 10, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  14. angelad496

THERE'S GONNA BE STEAK TONIGHT!

November 10, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Buddy

Sad to see how inhumane most humans are. We exploit these poor creatures and make fun when they are subjected to horrific deaths! I grew up on a farm so I know what its like to witness an animal, in some cases, a pet, being slaughtered. I promise any of you, your world would be irreversibly changed if you visited a slaughter house. You would not be so flippant and goofy then!

November 10, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hodee Cow!

bet you eat meat!

November 10, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bull

I grew up in a Butchers Market.Made trips every week to the slaughter house . Thats life,Buddy.

November 10, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jimbo

Actually, I grew up on a farm as well and have been to the slaughter house many times...and yet I have no problem reading and laughing about these UDDERly funny jokes.

November 10, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Juan Del Pueblo

1- one cow says to the other. I hear betsy survived being ran over by the train and she is now in the hospital. what room is she in. Other cow says... room 102, 103, 104, and 105... get it? streached out flat.
      2- why did the chicken cross the road? Cause the railroad tracks were already taken.
      3- recipe called for flat iron steaks
      4- 20 flat cows? udder madness!!!
      5- where's peta when you need them? they talk about the dead cow mess, but i guess they are too weak to help clean up... have a steak
      6- flattened cow hides now in sale at Ikea
      7- I want to see that bar conversation... I got a deer with a 150gr 2700ft/sec 30-06 bullet. other guy says... I got 20 cows with a single train moving at 35 miles an hour
      last but not least...
      8- chick-a-flia is now hiring new advertizing characters

November 10, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marco

I have visited slaughterhouses before (I'm not saying this to be spitefull) and it hasn't affected me one bit. ANIMALS ARE FOOD!! Dogs Insects, cats, whales, dolphins Every corner of the world, eats different animals.
      PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals.

November 10, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • flyboy67109

Moooooo.Bang! Hack. Hack. Sizzle. Sizzle. Yum! Get over it, Buddy.

November 10, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gina007

I couldn't agree with your more Buddy. It is hard to understand the ignorant/cruel comments immature people make. All I have to say is "Karma is a beyotch".

November 10, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |