November 10th, 2010

Train kills 20 cows

A herd of cows wandered onto a railroad line at the wrong time Tuesday, and it did not end well.

A 6,700-foot Norfolk Southern train plowed through the herd in the darkness about 6 a.m., a statement from the Clark County, Ohio, sheriff's office said.

The train, which was traveling at 38 mph, killed 20 cows, the sheriff's office said. The value of the animals was not known, and the owner was not named.

The accident, which happened about 40 miles west of Columbus, disabled the train's lead locomotive and blocked a rural highway for three hours, the statement said. No humans were injured.

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Ohio • U.S.
  1. Amy

I can't wait for the made for TV MOOvie!

November 10, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mary B

Were they moo-tilated by the train?

November 10, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shake'n'Bake

That's and udderly not pretty mental picture.

November 10, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Comebacksally

This is not funny people. Where is your sense of decency!
    Is it so humerous to you that 20cows were killed in the darkness of the morning?

This had the making of a bigger accident and all you can do is make fun of it.

Unbelievable.

November 10, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bull

Cows are cows. I hope the rail company doesn't bill the cow owner for letting his stock run loose on railway property.
      Somebody's got to pay for the damage to the engine.

November 10, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • flyboy67109

Cows have the IQ of...well... cows. They were raised to be eaten. Not to be scientist and engineers. Stop whining and go eat your cabbage.

November 10, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • DorkChick

I totally agree with you Comebacksally, this would certainly be more "humerous" in the lightness of morning. Although, I think it might be slightly less HUMOROUS had you used spell check in your comment. The two closest words to the one you made up (according to dictionary.com) are:

humerus
      1. the long bone in the arm of humans extending from the shoulder to the elbow.

humorous
      –adjective
      1. characterized by humor; funny; comical: a humorous anecdote.
      2. having or showing the faculty of humor; droll; facetious: a humorous person.

So I can only presume you broke your humerus, which caused you to not to view humorous comments as funny, forced you to type with one hand and miss both spell check and the space bar in your entry. Am I right? Did I win? What did I win?!

November 10, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Comebacksally

Okay here I am lowering myself to your level.

If you were sick in bed with the flu and with a high temp and typing on a iPhone, I will bet you would not have made fun of me like you did here.

Please have some decency and respect if it is in you.

Th is all I am going to say.

November 10, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Juan Del Pueblo

Last thing heard in the caboose... Moooove over!

November 10, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • DorkChick

My apologies, you are absolutely correct, If I were sick in bed with the flu and with a high temp and typing on a iPhone, I absolutely would not have made fun of you like I did here. In fact, I would not be on the internet to begin with. If I am sick enough to be in bed, I am too ill to have a coherent conversation. I KNOW my limitations.

My iPhone (on which I am currently typing) actually has a spell check feature. I have a 3GS, and I have talked to friends that have had spell check available on 3G and the original. I have to assume that yuou must have an iPhone4. I was unaware Apprle removed the spell check feature. That really annoys me that Apple did that, I am definately never going to upgrade, I can't spell worth a dang without spell check. Thanks for the info. I'm going to go write a lettle to Steve Jobstelling him how dissappointed I am that they removed spell check in the iPhone4 and that they have now lost a customer for life..

November 10, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • DorkChick

What makes it even funnier is that I was actually typing my last comment in Internet explorer which does not have spell check or a working spacebar.

Yep, that would be an Sarcasm FAIL.

Thanks for playing. I shall make comments only from my iPhone 3GS that has spell check installed. D'oh!

November 10, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • mrsrickey

yes, the are animals, yes, the have feelings, but come on be honest, don't you like a good steak?

November 10, 2010 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Anonymous

These comments are the best thing I've read all week.

November 10, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Reality

They should reinstall cow pushers and more lights on the front of trains. That way people can watch the cows fly up into the air at night, and not miss the excitement.

November 10, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  6. jenka

just the other day 9000 chicken died to fire.

November 10, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  7. J

If you don't want to get hit, stay off the tracks!! I've never seen a train swerve to hit something!!

November 10, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  8. honeybee

I hope that meat doesn't go to waste. Now is a good time to be generous and feed homeless people.

November 10, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • flyboy67109

I don't know. I hear homeless people taste a little gamey. I'd rather feed on the cows.

November 10, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gogolo

Flyboy. I legit spit out my drink reading your response. Bahahahaha.

November 10, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Harris

Mooooove on !!

November 10, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Half Cat

Hey soul sister!

November 10, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  11. brononymous

For a second there, I thought I was reading a headline from The Onion.

November 10, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  12. anonymous

They should have MOOOved out the way

November 10, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  13. David

Cows are meant to die... Then end up on my plate!

November 10, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Dr. C. Hayward

I am immensely saddened by this. Those poor animals. I hope the farmer gets the book thrown at him. We humans have the intelligence to take care of our charges. Or, do we, really?

November 10, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Carl

All those losers who are making fun of this situation – I hope this happens to your cats, dogs, or other pets. Slimy fools!

November 10, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • flyboy67109

Cows aren't pets. They're food. If you have a pet cow, go talk to a shrink.

November 10, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Comebacksally

Carl

I agree with you

We as humans should treat all animals with respect.

I am very saddened to read these sick remarks. Perhaps they are not human afterall.

we as humans ahold Trey ALL animals with respect no matter shat

November 10, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bart Simpson

Holy smoke,man, don't have a cow!

November 12, 2010 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |