November 12th, 2010

PETA wants Amazon to stop selling guides to dogfighting

PETA wants Amazon.com to stop selling books such as 'The Art of Cockfighting.'

The animal rights group PETA wants Amazon.com to stop selling books about dogfighting and cockfighting, saying the books encourage an illegal and harmful activity the way a recently removed title promoted pedophilia.

PETA said it sent a letter Friday to Amazon.com President Jeffrey P. Bezos, asking him to to pull products from the site that promote animal cruelty in light of the online retailer's decision this week to stop selling an e-book that offered guidelines to pedophilia.

"The Pedophile's Guide to Love and Pleasure" was pulled from Amazon.com late Wednesday, after thousands of angry users posted reviews to the listing condemning its publication and vowing to boycott the site.

PETA pointed out two books on Amazon.com, "The Art Of Cockfighting—A Handbook for Beginners and Old Timers" and "Dogs of Velvet and Steel," as examples of titles that encourage people to participate in illegal animal fighting.

"These books encourage people to become involved in dogfighting and cockfighting— cruel and illegal activities that are rampant across the country," PETA executive vice president Tracy Reiman said in the letter to Bezos.

"Animals, like children, depend on us to protect them and put their best interests above profits. Please, don't be complicit in cruelty to animals: Do the right thing and stop selling products that promote criminal violence against living beings."

PETA said the controversy over "The Pedophile's Guide" created the ideal climate for them to highlight animal fighting - an issue that's always on their radar.

"At a time when Amazon is coming out very publicly against books on pedophilia, this is a prime time for Amazon to step up and stop selling books that promote other illegal activity, like dogfighting and cockfighting," PETA spokeswoman Lindsey Rajt told CNN.

In fact, the two issues are "interconnected," Rajt said

"Animal abuse is one of the first warning signs we see in people who turn and direct violence toward people," she said. "This is really important because the twisted whims of people who enjoy watching animals fight to the death is not something Amazon should be catering to. There are greater societal implications."

Amazon.com did not return calls for comment.

Post by:
Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Nightwing

If we were to ask every individual in this world what was offensive to them, then banned all books that offended said individuals, would there be a book left for any of us to read?

November 12, 2010 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Klaark

Welcome to the wonderful world of special interests! Small, vocal groups telling everyone what they can and can't read/buy/own! Who needs government censorship when you have cowardly companies willing to bend over backwards every time a group of loons writes a letter.

November 12, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • macguysea

Because people like you who think pedophilia or violence with animals is ok.

November 12, 2010 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • shmoeusn

@macguy So because I believe in freedom of speech I support everything ever written? Hmm...I don't support any book on organized religion....I don't support any book that teaches how to get rich quick.....I don't support any book that condones animal and/or child abuse.....I show my NON support by not buying the book or talking about the author. However....when the authors freedom of speech is in jeopardy, I fully support their right. Regardless of how much I disagree with their views.

November 12, 2010 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  3. macguysea

INDEED!... STOP ALL BOOKS OF VIOLENCE!

November 12, 2010 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  4. John B

Meanwhile...Greenpeace has stated it wants Amazon to stop printing on paper because it kills trees.

November 12, 2010 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • HS

Oh yeah, Green Peace a.k.a parasites a.k.a hypocrites would provide the loss incurred and continued business/other support to everyone. I say BAN Green Peace and PETA, straight away!

November 12, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Heather

If I have to read "People Eating Tasty Animals" one more time, imunna borf. Each idiot types it like they're the first to come up with it. Please, please, come up with something original.

BTW: I'm totally against censorship. Good thing we're not talking about censorship here. One retailer might consider not selling a certain book. The book will still be legal. It will still exist. You can buy it elsewhere. Chill.

November 12, 2010 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  6. TC

Has anyone ever seen the kind of people that are arrested for animal fighting. I doubt they would pick up a book let alone know how to read.

A person can learn about this info on tv, where they tend to go into detail explaining exactly what they do to the animals and why when they sieze the animals.

November 12, 2010 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Rita Tonucci aka Flowerchild

November 12, 2010 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  8. on_my_soapbox

Dear peta

I had thee most delicious hamburger for dinner. Tomorrow I'll be making 6lbs of freshly butchered pork (ribs) along with more burgers on the grill for family and friends. You are more than welcomed to break bread with me and of course we'll be having some grilled veggies with our meats as it's part of a BALANCED diet.
    Hope to hear from you soon.

November 12, 2010 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Rita Tonucci aka Flowerchild

CNN Newstaff- I could not figure out why you all went Rand Paul on the viewers.- FiRST, I thought it was b/c the BOSS had another nervous breakdown.( BUT PLEASE TELL HIM I HAVE JANE'S BROTHER'S FLOWER POWER COLLECTION. And it is really far out.) Well then, I thought you went extreme right wing for the cash-that is, as we astute DEMS- know Steve Forbes bankrolled the Paul campaign. Finally, I figured it out. You got real heartless b/c the BOSS cannot differentiate b/w the evil money monger Jacob(Wall st or Steve Forbes) Marley and the friend of poor and suffering-good Ebenezer. This is b/c the BOSS could not see the film after he COLORIZED it.(LIKE THE REST OF US); so he did not learn the lessons from the Dickens book. Therefore, it appears unlikely the BOSS and his newstaff will learn much when you ARE ALL visited by three SPIRITS on Christmas eve. Far out. ENJOY YOUR NIGHT w/ JACOB MARLEY AND YOUR ROLL IN THE HAY W/ YOUR BELOVED SARAH PALIN.-I am blogging this comment as is to NYT.

November 12, 2010 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  10. rsone1

I think people need to understand this: dogfighting is NOT putting a couple dogs in a ring and watching them "wrestle around". These poor dogs are systematically tortured to make them vicious killers. PETA is absolutely right in asking Amazon to pull these books.

November 12, 2010 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Kudu

If this came from ANYONE other that peta I would be completely on board, I'm guessing the have an alternate agenda.

November 12, 2010 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Gaydarbloop

Umm so you guys are in favor of Cahkfighting then? What about swordfights? Does your wifey know?

November 12, 2010 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  13. oldshoshone

PETA: A free society doesn't ban books.

November 12, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Lenny

PETA is a joke. People might start listening to them after they stop wholesale slaughtering of dogs and cats. Bleeding heart hypocrites.

November 12, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Anarchy

Seems like it would make more sense for PETA to boycott the publishers of these books.

November 12, 2010 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |