November 12th, 2010

PETA wants Amazon to stop selling guides to dogfighting

PETA wants Amazon.com to stop selling books such as 'The Art of Cockfighting.'

The animal rights group PETA wants Amazon.com to stop selling books about dogfighting and cockfighting, saying the books encourage an illegal and harmful activity the way a recently removed title promoted pedophilia.

PETA said it sent a letter Friday to Amazon.com President Jeffrey P. Bezos, asking him to to pull products from the site that promote animal cruelty in light of the online retailer's decision this week to stop selling an e-book that offered guidelines to pedophilia.

"The Pedophile's Guide to Love and Pleasure" was pulled from Amazon.com late Wednesday, after thousands of angry users posted reviews to the listing condemning its publication and vowing to boycott the site.

PETA pointed out two books on Amazon.com, "The Art Of Cockfighting—A Handbook for Beginners and Old Timers" and "Dogs of Velvet and Steel," as examples of titles that encourage people to participate in illegal animal fighting.

"These books encourage people to become involved in dogfighting and cockfighting— cruel and illegal activities that are rampant across the country," PETA executive vice president Tracy Reiman said in the letter to Bezos.

"Animals, like children, depend on us to protect them and put their best interests above profits. Please, don't be complicit in cruelty to animals: Do the right thing and stop selling products that promote criminal violence against living beings."

PETA said the controversy over "The Pedophile's Guide" created the ideal climate for them to highlight animal fighting - an issue that's always on their radar.

"At a time when Amazon is coming out very publicly against books on pedophilia, this is a prime time for Amazon to step up and stop selling books that promote other illegal activity, like dogfighting and cockfighting," PETA spokeswoman Lindsey Rajt told CNN.

In fact, the two issues are "interconnected," Rajt said

"Animal abuse is one of the first warning signs we see in people who turn and direct violence toward people," she said. "This is really important because the twisted whims of people who enjoy watching animals fight to the death is not something Amazon should be catering to. There are greater societal implications."

Amazon.com did not return calls for comment.

Post by:
Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Riel23

They should also stop selling cooking books as well. It teaches people to desecrate the carcasses of dead animal. Yah, right!!! What a bunch of Loonies. Anyone who eats meat has no right to complain about any animal abuse. If you only knew how the animals that end up at your kitchen table are treated before their are brutally murdered in order for you to enjoy and taste their flesh you would see how hypocritical it is to condemn dog fighters. Have any of you guys have ever seen inside of a slaughter house. Have you folks ever seen how cows, pigs, chickens and ducks are slaughtered. What about fish, how would you like for someone to cut your breath until you are dead, so they can chop up your body pieces, display it in the grocery store and, fry you, boil you, broil you and eat you. And don't give that excuse that you need to eat meat, cause you don't. There are plenty of vegetarians and vegans our there, they are totally fine, take supplements or shut up and stop preaching about animal abuse. Hypocrites

November 12, 2010 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Behemodog

I will stop eating meat when lions do.
      and their kills are pretty brutal.

November 12, 2010 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Gaydarbloop

You guys are stupid if you think a free society means a free for all. Quit using the first amendment to shield your disturbed ideas. The Nazis burned books that would hinder their plans on destroying millions of lives. Banning a dogfighting or any other book that promotes criminal behavior is hardly going to lead to the downfall of free society. All it would do is decrease the amount of criminal copycats. Where are your brains people? Oh wait never mind.

November 12, 2010 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Rita Tonucci aka Flowerchild

Talk about censorship. CNN CENSORS EVERY LIBERAL comment as EXTREMIST. FiRST, I presumed the BOSS had another nervous breakdown. THEN, I assumed that the BOSS was kissing up to RAND PAUL types -like Steve(WHO will pay no taxes; not even a quarter to help out a blind person)FORBES. THEN, FINALLY, I understood that after the Boss chose to greedily colorize A CHRISTMAS CAROL w/ Alistair Sims; he too had a problem watching it. As a result, he failed to grasp the impotant message conveyed by Mr. SIMS. PITY THE BOSS CANNOT READ B/C THE BOOK IS A CLASSIC. OH WELL THE BOSS AND THE REST OF YOU RIGHT-WINGERS AT CNN WILL GET IT FIGURED OUT- BUT PROBABLY MORE LIKE JACOB MARLEY DID-FAR OUT.

November 12, 2010 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  4. charlesm

Censorship is bad in any form. If you don't like the topic, don't buy the book.

November 12, 2010 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  5. PerpetualVirgin

Arghhh!!!! I'm so mad I could spit! Where is the country I used to love? You used to be able to hook dogs up to car batteries and write about your exploits. Now my country is going to take my God given rights away from me! Argghhh!!!! Don't tread on my rights to electrocute my pit bull! Lol really that's how you sound.

November 12, 2010 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Laca

I belong to PETA. People Eating Tasty Animals

November 12, 2010 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • outawork

The other PITA

November 12, 2010 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  7. a slozomby

so he'res the $64,000 question. can people who engage in dogfighting actually read?

November 12, 2010 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • pete

Maybe not but I bet they are good at sports.

November 12, 2010 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jean

I sure understand the feelings of PETA regarding how discusting dog fighting is, as do most people, but banning books is wrong. It invites the banning of other books based on opinions. Just don't buy the book...

November 12, 2010 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  9. James

I sent a picture of me eating a fat t-bone to PETA.

November 12, 2010 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • nursechris

Did you fit in the image or was a wide lens required to accomodate your fat?

November 12, 2010 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Deb

Oh big man I'm sure they are going to give a s***.

November 13, 2010 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
  10. trixen

Hey if it took a front page story and a boycott to get Amazon to remove a how-to manual for child molestation from their site, something tells me they won't even be returning PETA's phone calls. PETA figures, "Well, they've sided with people who are opposed to molesting kids. Maybe we can convert them all into tree-hugging hippies, too!" Think again, PETA.

November 12, 2010 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  11. NothingSpecial

What amazes me, reading these comments is the huge number of people attacking PETA for asking Amazon to pull a book from it offerings, and using First Amendment rights as an excuse, but being mum about the book on pedophilia?. You can't have it both ways. Regardless of who is asking (and if who is asking makes a difference to you, you already have shown an utter lack of reason), either both should be pulled, or neither should be pulled. I am leaning toward the "neither should be pulled" (for one thing, criminology researchers might have a valid reason to buy such books; for another, it might be possible to find out that "Bob" bought these books, and connect the dots leading to his arrest for some illegal ACTIVITY; for yet another, we might be able to datamine the book sales and find out that, indeed, there is a correlation between animal abuse and pedophilia). But being OK with pulling the book on pedophilia and not the one on dogfighting just seems hardly defensible to me.
    And, by the way, I am not a fan of PETA, but I like that, this time, they used a precedent (Amazon giving in on the pedophilia book) to make their point, nicely and politely.

November 12, 2010 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Unconscious

Why would you ever ban a book on something? Just don't buy the book. There are going to be independent websites that will still carry it anyway. As long as it's a work of fiction and pure fantasy who cares?

November 12, 2010 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
  12. remy g

Come on PETA, those animal books were on amazon for how long? Now a book on touching kids comes out and you gotta weigh in on it? I don't condone either action but if anybody is good at getting free publicity and sticking their noses where it doesn't belong its PETA. I'm feeling steak tonight, who's with me?

November 12, 2010 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • SBBlair

With you heck! I'm ahead of you friend. How do you like your T-bone?

November 12, 2010 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Laurel

Already had my meat dinner but wanted to share a point of clarification. PETA and many other animal groups and individuals have brought this issue up to Amazon on multiple occasions, starting many years ago. So, they are not jumping on the band wagon but revisiting an issue previously addressed; I'm guessing hoping for a different viewpoint.

November 12, 2010 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Parkerman

This is not really a black and white issue which is why it is so interesting. Should we allow books to be sold we know are about illegal, cruel and socially unacceptable activities based on the 1st ammendment for people to say or print what they want or do we ban this type of information that we know to be wrong. Very slippery slope. I for one don't need to see books on these subjects, but are we starting on the road of censorship for other issues that people may find offensive. Where does this go from here, there is nothing illegal for them to do this, but if public comment is strong then they should listen to their community and stop selling them.

November 12, 2010 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Laurel

Cogent and well thought-out response Parkerman. I could relate to it a lot, even though as I posted above I think they should choose not to sell the book, not based on public opinion but based on their own moral values. You know, thanks for helping me think through this . . I just got this point from responding to your post. Best regards.

November 12, 2010 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Rita Tonucci aka Flowerchild

As I stated previously, CNN is the worst Censor;however, all my censored blogs went to the CA DEM PTY( we have 52 ELECTORAL VOTES AND A GREAT GOVERNOR- I know you were in bed w/ the billionaire w/ NO news endorsements other than presumably yours). I advised the DEMS that all my innocent, intelligent yet totally lib. Dem comments were thrown into the commie pile by the likes of Gloria-I too wanna sleep w/ Sarah Palin- Borger. Yet, we shall prevail. We need not fear Christmas eve and the three spirits sent to us to teach us that caring for the unfortunate is the only way to live. I know you all got screwed over by the BOSS when he greedily colorized A CHRISTMAS CAROL &then noone could figure the movie out. YET, I cannot fault all the CNN right- wingers b/c their greedy Boss failed to comprehend the ACTUAL- AND NOTCASH- value of the film. I CAN FAULT YOU, HOWEVER, FOR NOT BEING LITERATE. B/C then you could READ the book and learn -as we Dems already have-to keep compassion for the unfortunate.

November 12, 2010 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Christians are hypocrites

It's not censorhip when it's from a private company, bozos.

Hey trixen: I'd like to stuff your mother in a cage and break her neck. Yeah – that'd be mighty fine.

November 12, 2010 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |