November 12th, 2010

PETA wants Amazon to stop selling guides to dogfighting

PETA wants Amazon.com to stop selling books such as 'The Art of Cockfighting.'

The animal rights group PETA wants Amazon.com to stop selling books about dogfighting and cockfighting, saying the books encourage an illegal and harmful activity the way a recently removed title promoted pedophilia.

PETA said it sent a letter Friday to Amazon.com President Jeffrey P. Bezos, asking him to to pull products from the site that promote animal cruelty in light of the online retailer's decision this week to stop selling an e-book that offered guidelines to pedophilia.

"The Pedophile's Guide to Love and Pleasure" was pulled from Amazon.com late Wednesday, after thousands of angry users posted reviews to the listing condemning its publication and vowing to boycott the site.

PETA pointed out two books on Amazon.com, "The Art Of Cockfighting—A Handbook for Beginners and Old Timers" and "Dogs of Velvet and Steel," as examples of titles that encourage people to participate in illegal animal fighting.

"These books encourage people to become involved in dogfighting and cockfighting— cruel and illegal activities that are rampant across the country," PETA executive vice president Tracy Reiman said in the letter to Bezos.

"Animals, like children, depend on us to protect them and put their best interests above profits. Please, don't be complicit in cruelty to animals: Do the right thing and stop selling products that promote criminal violence against living beings."

PETA said the controversy over "The Pedophile's Guide" created the ideal climate for them to highlight animal fighting - an issue that's always on their radar.

"At a time when Amazon is coming out very publicly against books on pedophilia, this is a prime time for Amazon to step up and stop selling books that promote other illegal activity, like dogfighting and cockfighting," PETA spokeswoman Lindsey Rajt told CNN.

In fact, the two issues are "interconnected," Rajt said

"Animal abuse is one of the first warning signs we see in people who turn and direct violence toward people," she said. "This is really important because the twisted whims of people who enjoy watching animals fight to the death is not something Amazon should be catering to. There are greater societal implications."

Amazon.com did not return calls for comment.

Post by:
Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. JohnQpublic

@ Uncle Sam: Not really. If Al Queda or Hamas made a book on assassination techniques they'd ban it. Finding it in an obscure book store or online is different. They monitor jihadist websites all the time. The government cherry picks stuff all the time that they deem to be a threat to national security.

November 12, 2010 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Bill

Here's an idea ... ban PETA instead.

November 12, 2010 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cat

Amen. Peta kills animals all the time, adoptable cats and dogs. They have no right to ask amazon to do anything. They make $16 million bucks a year and don't own or operate any animal shelters. Yet they do have a team that runs around in a kill-van euthanizing pets. petakillsanimals dot com is an eye-opening site!

November 13, 2010 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Dave

lol, lots of shelters kill animals. It's a fact of life. There are just way too many of them to care for. I suppose PETA could just not take in any animals at all and leave millions running the street to continue breeding and causing more problems. Whatever works.
      haha petakillsanimals... how did I know that reference would come up. Seems like everyone I've heard from who hates PETA just quotes a bunch of things they've read on that website. I do my own research... petakillsanimals is run by the Centre for Consumer Freedom. Specifically, a group that support potentially controversial products to protect the bottom line ($) of large corporations. It was founded to support alcohol and tobacco companies and spread from there. Yeah, they're sooooo concerned about the welfare of animals...LOL. It's so perverse. They are the ones fighting to protect corporate $$ from tobacco, fast foods, alcohol, factory farms, etc. But no one who regurgitates the hypocritical and half-truths they spread cares about any of that. They just jump on board with anything that bashes PETA. It's remarkable the reaction PETA invokes in a lot of people. I used to be the same without knowing why. Fortunately I've moderated my stance and grown up a bit since then. PETA may have its faults, but it's specifically because of them that there is so much awareness about some issues (they are one of the few main vocal animal welfare organizations that has the balls to get the message out and protest animal cruelty), and they have great material for people considering lifestyle changes to reduce suffering of animals.

November 13, 2010 at 6:31 am | Report abuse |
  3. Sherri

I think they should stop selling any type of book that promotes violence against children and animals.

November 12, 2010 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hugo

I wish we didn't have the problem – that nobody wanted to harm children and that nobody wanted cruelty to animals. But we have the problem and I don't see how stopping Amazon helps solve the problem.

If anyone can tell me how Amazon not selling the books actually does something to help solve the problem, please explain how. (Directing people to peer reviewed scholarly articles counts as explaining.)

November 13, 2010 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
  4. getoverit

Puck FETA!

November 12, 2010 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  5. JCizzle

Does PETA have any pull or does anyone even take them seriously outside of vegan nutjobs? I would have dropped that letter in the round-file and not given it two seconds of thought.

November 12, 2010 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Slowbek

BAN FREE SPEECH (except ours)!!!! – Sincerely....PETA (People of Enormous Trivial Action or People Eating the Animals)

November 13, 2010 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
  7. bob

PETA is irrelevant. Ignore them.

November 13, 2010 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Dave

LOL, they're only one of the largest and most influential animal welfare/rights organizations, but whatever you say...

November 13, 2010 at 6:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Dave

Well Dave..they are irrelevant in my life

November 13, 2010 at 7:17 am | Report abuse |
  8. Tre

See where this is going? Wow. If you dont agree, don't read. Still doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I don't like squirrels. In fact I hate them. But you should be able read about killing them all you like. Next ....there will be no book learnin about huntin

November 13, 2010 at 12:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Deb

How about a book about hunting people like you!

November 13, 2010 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
  9. Justin

Can I?

November 13, 2010 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  10. dragon_hunter21

Dogfighting is illegal. Books about dogfighting aren't.

Also, I wonder how many copies of this will be available through torrents or Freenet in a week. Streisand effect, my friends- it ain't just for stupid celebrities anymore.

November 13, 2010 at 12:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Hugo

It was illegal for Rosa Parks to ride in the front of the bus.

The legality test fails. If we are to have a test, we need a better test.

November 13, 2010 at 1:44 am | Report abuse |
  11. Kyle

America to PITA... S T F U

November 13, 2010 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Nimrod

I don't believe you speak for America. I for one can express my own thoughts. I rarely see any good reason for obscenities. They are usually an indication of a weak vocabulary.

November 13, 2010 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
    • phatslim

What's a sandwich bread got to do with it?

November 13, 2010 at 12:41 am | Report abuse |
  12. Sharon

I always thought Peta does good things an I am a memmber for a long time but now I'am not so sure anymore,.
    I read Petakillsanimals.com and now I see it different.Nobody knows what is going on there.Better dead then fed
    is there motto about the animals in there care.

November 13, 2010 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
  13. drew

The number of people discounting PETA's message just because they don't like the organization is astounding.

Here's a thought: try attacking the message and not the organization.

November 13, 2010 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Steve in Seattle

Drew heres a thought maybe NOBODY LIKES THE ORGANIZATION.

November 13, 2010 at 2:02 am | Report abuse |
  14. Ricky

PETA KILLS MORE ANIMALS PER YEAR, THAN MCDONALDS DOES.

November 13, 2010 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
  15. LKJ

Animal abuse is very wrong, but I wouldn't put it on the same level as child molestation.

November 13, 2010 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |