November 14th, 2010

Aung San Suu Kyi: 'You've got to do it with me'

Freed democracy activist Aung San Suu Kyi told her supporters Sunday that she needs their help in her efforts to bring change to Myanmar. "I'm not going to be able to do it alone," Suu Kyi said.

"You've got to do it with me. One person alone can't do anything as important as bringing change and democracy to a country."

She said she was treated well during her years of house arrest by Myanmar's ruling generals, but said the country needs to return to the rule of law.

"I am for national reconciliation, I am for dialogue ... whatever authority I have, I would like to use toward that end. And I hope the people will support me," she said, speaking to reporters at the headquarters of her National League for Democracy party. FULL STORY

Post by:
Filed under: Myanmar
  1. Quagmire

Fook mi Fook yu ??? Do it with Suu kyi? Giggity

November 14, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  2. cesar

Asians eat a lot of duck. Fook reminds me of Asian cooking. Once, in an American cartoon, Daffy Duck saved a turkey from becoming a turkey dinner.

November 14, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  3. DrFood

So...she's biding time until the junta puts her under house arrest again? Sorry Suu Kyi. You are a puppet for the military junta that's sodimizing your country.

November 14, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Evan

It's impossible (unless you're an idiot - see the above three comments for examples) not to have respect for this woman's courage, idealism, and incredible strength of character. It's easy being an armchair critic; try being a pro-democracy advocate, under house arrest for 15 years, in a country ruled by a military junta known for some of the grossest human rights violations in the world. Somehow, I don't think it's easy.

I don't know how effective a prime minister she would have been, but as an inspirational symbol of people's struggle for just the most *basic* of democratic rights, she's in a league with Gandhi, Mandela, and Dr. King. The path ahead for her will be treacherous, however - she has to try to find some common ground with the junta without compromising her core principles or alienating her supporters. Best of luck to you, Suu Kyi.

November 14, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  5. cesar

@Qiagmire and Dr. Food: Ha Ha, Evan called you two guys an idiot.

November 14, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  6. phil

@Evan...I doubt Suu Kyi has as many illigitimate children as Dr. King.

November 14, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  7. 517blingdongding

Not surprised she is asking people to do it with her.

November 14, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  8. cesar

@517. Which brings me to my next point since you brought it up, If Dr. King would have cheated in Iran, the women he would have cheated with would have been murdered by the Iranian gov't by stoning because of Islam. Islam murders their own people on a monthly basis.

November 14, 2010 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  9. cesar

Oooops, sorry, I meant Phil.

November 14, 2010 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  10. 517blingdongding

We must all pray that the sweet love of our Lord jesus fills her whole with bountiful blessings.

November 14, 2010 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  11. K jacktown michigan

he said fill her whole!!

November 14, 2010 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  12. JesusOFnastyNazzy

Even all mighty speaketh and ye shalt follow, for the great crimson flood bequeefs us.

November 15, 2010 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
  13. JesusOFnastyNazzy

*Evan All Mighty* Forgive me father my BlackBerry hath committed a grammatical sin.

November 15, 2010 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
  14. 517blingdongding

Who beggeth the scorn of the Lord GOD who shuns such insolence as that which you profess?

Thine forked tongue flickers. Be it so, though your arrogance will bear the fruit of penalty by the Lord, as yours is the path of vile sin.

November 15, 2010 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
  15. really?

Cesar- really?

You've been watching too much cartoons. Let me quess: you struggled just to finish the 10th grade?

November 15, 2010 at 6:05 am | Report abuse |