November 15th, 2010

California court rules illegal immigrants can get in-state tuition

The California Supreme Court has ruled unanimously that illegal immigrants may continue to receive in-state tuition at California colleges and Universities.

The decision overturns a lower court ruling.

In their ruling, the state court said California law specifically guarantees in-state tuition, a lower price, for students attending local schools for at least three years.

In their ruling, the court said that state law does not conflict with federal prohibitions for educational benefits for illegal immigrants ased on residency.

This story is developing. We'll bring you the latest information as soon as we get it.

Post by:
Filed under: California • Immigration
  1. PP

Well quite obvious you guys only post comments from people against it. Thats why my comment never showed. Way to go cnn.

November 15, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Helen

Last time I checked, education is a privilege not a right in the U.S. If they have the cash to pay for tuition no matter it be in-state or out, let them be. If you want to go to a place where tuition is the same for out and in, and is less than the tuition here, go to Spain!

November 15, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Barry

California once again is showing why people are leaving in droves. Time to run the supremes out of office

November 15, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Henry

Brace yourselves..... they also get a majority of scholarship and grant funds....at least that is how it worked at a border university I attended at one point. Pathetic!!!

November 15, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  5. ang

I'll say good for California, there are so many great students that have the desire to get more education..I've met people that want to, so bad, but can't, and the other way around some people that can, but they won't, why? Not really sure.Laws were made so everyone lives better, and who exactly is getting hurt with this in particular.

November 15, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Noneya

Who is getting hurt, really? How about the people from out of state and country who are here legally on visas or haven't met residency requirements paying the non-resident tuition. They are being punished for doing things the right way when someone that doesn't even pay taxes is getting the discount. It's like our country is punishing law followers while the law breakers get all the perks.

November 15, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • ronk1957

I agree with ang WHO WILL IT HURT? everyone knows that the college Fairy pays for all of the subsidies. The California taxpayer pays for none of it. This is why California's economy is in such great shape.with the college fairy , the medical fairy and the welfare and foodstamp fairy to help you California taxpayers out ANG is right. Who will it Hurt?

November 15, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric

Subsidies fund the discounted tuition. Paid for by tax paying citizens. As illegals they cannot legally pays taxes. As the colleges enroll more in state tuition students the cost for out of state students increases. I really believe the illegal immigration situation is out of hand now and needs to be addressed first and foremost. Regardless of the claims they are not utilizing social services, they are, they cost this country a great deal.

November 15, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • mmarie

Have you not met legal students from other states who also wish for that same education. I will introduce you to my son who can't go to a university in California because the out of state tution is too high. Guess because he is a citizen of this country with a 3.9 GPA he isn't good enough for California

November 15, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Really

And with CA's debt problem, it is just a matter of time before it affects tax payers nationwide in the form of bailing out CA.

November 15, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Listen

Actually it's hurting me "ang" because I study and work hard. My parents (not rich at all) have paid tens and thousands of dollars to become U.S. citizens. Since our papers have been in process for years, we are in status adjustment. Therefore, no matter how long I live in a certain state, I don't get in-state. So I work hard, study hard, my parents pay in-state taxes, pay the government to become green card holders, and yet illegal immigrants get in-state tuition, when I don't?? so yeah I'd say I get hurt!

November 29, 2010 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  6. one country under god

And most of you people are wrong. They are still paying all expenses with no financial aid whatsoever. What is so wrong about people wanting to further their education even if it is a high cost. Trust me I am a citizen on financial aid and it is still hard to get through all the financial needs I have now imagine how they feel

November 15, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • ronk1957

one country, If I was a citizen on financial aid that was subsidized by hardworking taxpayers instead of complaining that they should give their hard earned money to subsidize an illegal's schooling I would be grateful to them. If you think so strongly that they should be subsidized with someone's money why don't you give them your financial aid ? Put your money where your mouth is.

November 15, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Listen

My parents (not rich at all) have paid tens and thousands of dollars to become U.S. citizens. Since our papers have been in process for years, we are in status adjustment. Therefore, no matter how long I live in a certain state, I don't get in-state. So I work hard, study hard, my parents pay in-state taxes, pay the government to become green card holders, and yet illegal immigrants get in-state tuition, when I don't?? So yeah I'd say I get hurt!

November 29, 2010 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. YRaj

I am also normally liberal when it comes to immigration....but I cannot fathom the idea that an illegal immigrant...will be paying less than a U.S. citizen from another state..

November 15, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Nopal onmyforehead

STFU all you ba*stards who are being negative. Our country was built on immagration!!! If someone is willing to pay for an education and apply it to this country why should we stop them?! Bigots! Bigots!!

November 15, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric

You are ignorant of the increase in illegal, yes illegal, immigration since this country was founded. My italian decendants came here, legally, became citizens, learned english and became productive tax payng United States Citizens. My Grandmother would have slapped the snot out of any of us if we bad mouthed the US.she wsas proud to be here and would never put an Italian flag up over the US flag. The difference between those immigrants that founded this country and the illegal immigrants we face today? The immigrants who founded this country came here for what it was, not for what they wanted to turn it into.

November 15, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Just wow....

I am soooo confused.... What part of ILLEGAL is hard to understand? If they want an education get one from their country of origin or if they want one from California come here the right way. Why would a college want a student that it ALREADY knows is willing to break the law? The many problems that America faces right now could ALL be helped if Immigration was fixed. look at it this way.

1. Less illegals in schools means less crowding and a better student to teacher ratio * less illegals in our premiere colleges means a better chance for our American students to get in.
      2. Less illegals using emergency rooms, means less medical overhead and lower rates for health insurance.
      3. Less illegals taking part in lower income projects means more money to go toward Americans that need help.
      4. (HERE IS THE ONE ALL THE PRO ILLEGALS POINT TO IF THEY LEFT) Less illegals means less Cheap labor for menial tasks like gardening. BUT if there is less illegals to do the work, that means that those jobs could be filled by people looking for employment and since it would be legal citizens doing the work their wages go up. You may say then most people cant afford it if those rates go up. Good then they get outside and get some exercise and for those who can still afford it then they pay for the convenience of having a gardener.

I could go on for AGES on how solving this problem would lead an overall increase in the standard of living for Americans. Everyone keeps saying what about this countries people and that countries people... my reply to this is.... What about OUR people?

The message of this post is basically this. Americans come first and foremost. If you want to be treated as an American come here properly. America was founded on the immigration of hardworking individuals that came here legally not by people who are trying to scam the system and get a free pass on American taxpayers backs.

November 15, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  9. David Watson

Why? What purpose does this serve? Technically, the schools are losing money – anyone else?

November 15, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  10. PP

This does not affect the schools in CA because as you read the article it says "it will continue", so its not a new thing. If it hasnt bothered before then why it would now?.

November 15, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jim Brieske

I think the rest of the country should be allowed to object to this and put a stop to it since California just received 8 billion dollars of our money.
    If they refuse then they return the money.
    jim

November 15, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  12. cesar

When I went to college, I was denied help. This is so STUPID. STUPID. STUPID. STUPID STUPID STUPID

November 15, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  13. PP

Even if its a new thing. Students who couldnt afford paying college because of the out-of-state tuition, they can now go to school and pay in-state, so that in a ways helps schools economically.

November 15, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  14. CaptainObvious

I don't care as long as illegal immigrants aren't getting freebies. I've worked with Mexicans on and off for the past 10 years or so. They never complain or talk back. They show up everyday and work very hard. I can say that I'd rather work with Mexicans than my arrogant and ignorant American counterparts. That being said I'd still like to see this country do more to keep the bad ones out while letting the decent ones in. As usual though the US does little to fix the problems.

November 15, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Krista Anderson

That is the most absurd thing I have ever heard. Makes it hard be California proud.

November 15, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |