November 15th, 2010

California court rules illegal immigrants can get in-state tuition

The California Supreme Court has ruled unanimously that illegal immigrants may continue to receive in-state tuition at California colleges and Universities.

The decision overturns a lower court ruling.

In their ruling, the state court said California law specifically guarantees in-state tuition, a lower price, for students attending local schools for at least three years.

In their ruling, the court said that state law does not conflict with federal prohibitions for educational benefits for illegal immigrants ased on residency.

This story is developing. We'll bring you the latest information as soon as we get it.

Post by:
Filed under: California • Immigration
  1. jd

This is typical of judges in our country anymore. Their pockets are all lined with money. Our entire Government is corrupt.

November 15, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  2. jd

I see a few people support this, what a joke. They are here illegally, and really should be deported. Illegal immigrants have NO rights, which makes this judges decision all the more proof of corruption.

Yeah, lets give the illegals cheaper education so they can steal all the more jobs away from real Americans, many of whom are homeless.

November 15, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  3. heidi

Yet my son, who IS A US CITIZEN, cannot get in-state tuition rates because we reside in Nevada. Does this make any sense??

November 15, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Listen

I agree Heidi, but schools offer in-state to only students who live in the state and support the state financially (by purchasing goods, paying state taxes etc) so your son, whether this happened or not, could not be eligible anyways. However, I don't think unless you legalize yourself- and pay the fees to be legalized- you should get breaks, especially if legal immigrants don't get the same benefit.

November 29, 2010 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  4. phil

This issue is such a no-brainer. Yet we still struggle with it. Makes no sense whatsoever.

November 15, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Bill

Wow. I work my ass off in high school and college, getting over 50 grand in scholarships, but still owing over 30 grand. Monthly payment $325/month for 10 years. State is practically bankrupt with a 28 billion dollar budget deficit over the next 18 months, and we're giving money away to people who come here, don't pay taxes, and have some of the lowest cost of living? Why can't we enforce our immigration laws?

November 15, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Bryan

This is retarded ... the fact that illegal immigrants ( coming to this country illegally ) get money for schooling and whatnot ... while the ones who go about the legal way get shafted ... what’s up with that .. That last judge should try thinking next time.

November 15, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mandy

I don't understand those who keep saying that they can't believe that illegal immigrants are getting money for school. In no way does this court ruling mean that they are getting financial support. Get it straight people! Illegal immigrants DO NOT QUALIFY FOR FINANCIAL AID!!! Yes, they will not be paying for the out-of-state tuition, but that's about it. They will be paying for in-state tuition (just as it always has been). Nothing new.

You don't have to believe me when I say this, but the truth is that no illegal immigrant is going to try to come up with the thousands of dollars to pay for tuition if they are not serious about their education and are smart people who are willing to work hard for one. This is unlike the many other people their age who do receive financial aid and can give a crap about their education and the many opportunities that tax payers make possible.

November 15, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • jay

You seem to be in need of education yourself. Do you understand that in-state tuition is subsidized with tax dollars?, Hence the lower cost as opposed to out-of-state tuition. Are they getting financial aid? Maybe not, but they ARE a burden on tax payers by getting a subsidized rate. And no they aren't taxpayers. It's kind of hard to pay taxes when you are ILLEGAL.

November 15, 2010 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Me

Yes they might not be qualified for financial aid, but do you know the difference between in state vs out of state tuition?
      I am a legal immigrant and I am appalled. There has not been one semester in which my tuition bill came bellow 8K. I, a legal immigrant who spent hundreds of dollars to to pay for my visa, I sat for 5 hours at a consulate and had medical examinations done... all of that drill.
      I do everything legally, and the illegals are the ones being rewarded? What is the motivation to be legal anymore?

November 15, 2010 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sue in PA

Financial aid or not, if they are here illegally, they do not belong here at all. If they are signing up for college and we know they are illegals, we should be deporting them.

November 15, 2010 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Listen

My parents (not rich at all) have paid tens and thousands of dollars to become U.S. citizens. Since our papers have been in process for years, we are in status adjustment. Therefore, no matter how long I live in a certain state, I don't get in-state. So I work hard, study hard, my parents pay in-state taxes, pay the government to become green card holders, and yet illegal immigrants get in-state tuition, when I don't? I cannot possibly raise the international fees, yet I am trying- going to community college, working outside of taking an overload academic course...so personally I don't think it's fair.

November 29, 2010 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  8. stephen

The USA is no longer a sovereign nation. It is just a place on the map.

November 15, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  9. jay

This is so stupid. No other country allows breaks for people that are ILLEGALLY residing in their country. I don't see why we would either. This country is broke and we shouldn't have to have the burden of taking care of anyone who is here illegally and not paying taxes. Period. I'm disgusted at where this whole "open border" policy is going. It's naivety, not compassion.

November 15, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Sggladden

Why do we even bother having imagration laws? We refuse to enforce them and we allow those here illegally to have all the benefits of legal citizens. Why don't we put an end to this and go to war with Mexico and annex it as US territory? Seriously it seems they are not taking care of their own so isn't there some kind of moral obligation to do so? Frankly at this point I don't care what is done but we damn well better put the rule of law back in order or we can just give up on the whole idea of the United States.

November 15, 2010 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jeff Frank

If your an illegal immigrant you can get financial aid and go to school? But if your an aged, disabled, or otherwise financialy poor naturalized citizen, you can forget it? What's next? Put 'em in motion pictrures?

November 15, 2010 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Me

This is such an absurd. I am deeply offended as a LEGAL immigrant. I went to college in this country because I spent hundreds of dollars to to pay for my visa, I sat for 5 hours at a consulate and had medical examinations done... all of that drill. I am graduating in less than a month, and I have over $70,000 dollars in loans to pay because I had to pay OUT OF STATE Tuition. I do everything right and legally, but the illegals are the ones who are rewarded? What a joke.

November 15, 2010 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  13. greggo

What part of ILLEGAL is not being understood here?!? In state tuition in their legal place of residence, not in California or any other state of OUR Union!

November 15, 2010 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Big Game James

Wow! Imagine that! A community of people leaving their land of origin to better themselves in another land. Never been done before...wait a minute...aren't we celebrating the first big case of immigration next week? Happy Thanksgiving!! More beads and whiskey for all!!

November 15, 2010 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  15. sharling

Any common sense immigration reform is immediately labeled racist, so why do we even waste our time on this anymore? Just make immigration fluid. Those who go through the insanely hard process of legally immigrating get punished and have to pay out the *** and those who don't have privileges such as healthcare and education that natural citizens do not. I just don't get why we bother defining immigration or residency status anymore. Stop wasting money on border patrol, end the drug war and just end this madness.

November 15, 2010 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |