November 15th, 2010

Man living in shop window with 400 deadly spiders

Nick Le Souef is living with dangerous spiders for three weeks for charity.

Forget bedbugs in New York, imagine dealing with deadly spiders - 400 of them everywhere.

Now, picture waking up each day surrounded by them for three weeks while living in the confines of a storefront window.

It may sound like something only a crazy person would do - but it's actually all a part of Nick Le Souef's plan to help a charity.

The Melbourne man, who by the way told reporters he doesn't "like spiders all that much," is being dubbed Australia's very own Spiderman for his attempt to break a record he set 30 years ago - and raise $50,000 for a children's charity.

"I'm not afraid of them, but it's just that I'm not overly keen on them," the 67-year-old told the Australian Broadcasting Company.

Le Souef originally planned to do the stunt with snakes but was not allowed.

According to Australian media reports, the number of creatures has dwindled a bit after some began to turn on each other - a sign things may get more difficult for him, some say.

Le Souef says the incident doesn't worry him and he isn't afraid of being surrounded by the dangerous blackhouse, redback and huntsmen spiders.

"Redbacks are very calm," he said. " Once they make their webs and their sort of little nests, they don't move around," he said.

1. takeout

Im sure there arent any actual "deadly" spiders in there like the funnel web or brazilian wandering spider,

November 15, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Frank

People,
    400 Deadly spiders is not a challange.In Vietam,we woke up in the jungle every morning to that that type of qaunity creative,and they big.So.make him sleep with about 1000 and see how he feels about that if he wants to be a hero.These kinds of stunts are just STUPID.

November 15, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alex

it's raising money for a charity!

November 15, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • ghandi

Vietnam doesnt have deadly spiders, Australia and South America do, although he probably hasnt put any deadly spiders in there anyways, just a couple species that might give a very painful bite. Outside of an allergic reaction I dont think there are any truly dangerous spiders above the equator.

November 15, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tim

Frank why don't you do something to raise money for a charity. Some good news finally and someone actually complains about it, get a life!

November 15, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Havok

Its for a charity, jerk. Sleeping with a bunch of spiders in Vietnam didn't make you a hero...

November 15, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • stu

I hate to break it to ya Ghandi but Vietnam is below the equator. As for Deadly species above the equator, The US has three: The Black Widow, The Brown Recluse & Hobo Spider. Last time I Checked the US is north of the equator.

November 15, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • toxictown

Seriously, Frank...thank you for your military service but...he's raising money for a CHILDRENS CHARITY! Yes, it's a publicity stunt...SO PEOPLE WILL DONATE!

November 15, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael L

@ stu: my goodness, what has happened to the education system in the US? Vietnam is not below the equator. I feel very sad right now.

stu

November 15, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |

November 15, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • iamacamera

Amen to that. It's a goofy idea. Everybody wants their to minutes of fame.

November 15, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lin

Ghandi – For many an allergic reaction means death

November 15, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • JRG

@Michael L. – please go Google Vietnam on a map. I can't believe you wouldn't have double-checked that before you posted to rip on someone else.

November 15, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • ghandi

stu you dont know what youre talking about, not only is Vietnam well above the equator but the the US spiders are not deadly at all. People died from them because they had an allergic reaction, that doesnt make the spiders themselves any more deadly than a bee or a peanut, there hasnt even been a black widow death in 30 years. The black widow and brown recluse are vastly overrated because theyre the USA's only potent spiders and are thus romanticized in myths, they cause excruciating pain but not death in a normal person. Very few spiders can kill the average person without treatment and those that can are located far south from the equator in places like Australia and South America.

November 15, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • TMD

@ JRG – Eh, Michael L is correct... Vietnam is well ABOVE the equator. Perhaps you should have googled?

November 15, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jaxin

@JRG – chances are you have no idea where the equator is... here's an idea – it's right in between Australia and Vietnam.. kind of make Vietnam north of it 🙂

November 15, 2010 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Troy

Yeah. Vietnam is most definitely above the equator. And the spiders there that I seen were pretty big and scary. I don't think I'd like to sleep with them, regardless of if they're poison or not.

At the end of the day this guy is simply trying to raise money for charity, it shouldn't matter how he does it.

Yours,
      A 17 year old student.

November 15, 2010 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Andy

ghandi is absolutely correct. The word "deadly" to describe those spiders is approaching absolutely false. The only cases of any of those causing death was in very small children and old people.

November 16, 2010 at 2:52 am | Report abuse |
  3. arachniphobe

Skip that.

November 15, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Adam

Huh, huntsmen spiders are not dangerous to humans. They're big and scary, but not dangerous.

November 15, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jill

hahaha. neither are blackhouse spiders; they are poisonous, but not lethal.

November 15, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  5. kim

It for charity. I do not like spiders snake but what oiher like is up to them. Yucky

November 15, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • J

I don't like spiders snake either. I don't even know what they are.

November 15, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jaxs

whatever happened to car washes and bake sales

November 15, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Myself

Huntsman is not deadly to humans.

November 15, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  8. bicycles

@Chris.. he also "hates" adultry.. but you don;t see anyone up in arms about how many men/women cheat on their spouses. do you?

November 15, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  9. shauna

GAG!!!!!!! I am all for raising $ for charities... I support the MDA a lot! but not with killer spiders!!! WTH? eeeeekkkkk can he squash them and still get the $?

November 15, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Farhibide

Thank you, CNN, from the bottom of my heart, for not including any macro shots of spiders with this story.

November 15, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shash

I second that!

November 15, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kristy

I third that!

November 15, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

Hey, where are all the macro shots?

November 15, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jawbone

There is a very fine line between bravery and stupidity. This guy is about a mile past the stupid side.

November 15, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Frank

I have done and will continue to do charity work fot Foster Childern so please spare me any lectures.

November 15, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Havok

At least you know you deserve a lecture.

November 15, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • brad lastings

Deal. You spare us the lectures about the mythical deadly spiders in Vietnam and we'll spare you the lectures pointing out how wrong you are. Everybody wins.

November 15, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Saul

F*** THAT

November 15, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Shash

Just thinking about it makes me want to cry.

November 15, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  15. LD GIBBS 999

Ive been cast into a den of spiders because I am a Cherokee with antlers trying to get some real feedback. I can't even post a comment about my own family. I'll sit with the Spider's next to this Charity man. You bunch of wannabee Nebbies,.

November 15, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |