November 15th, 2010

Man living in shop window with 400 deadly spiders

Nick Le Souef is living with dangerous spiders for three weeks for charity.

Forget bedbugs in New York, imagine dealing with deadly spiders - 400 of them everywhere.

Now, picture waking up each day surrounded by them for three weeks while living in the confines of a storefront window.

It may sound like something only a crazy person would do - but it's actually all a part of Nick Le Souef's plan to help a charity.

The Melbourne man, who by the way told reporters he doesn't "like spiders all that much," is being dubbed Australia's very own Spiderman for his attempt to break a record he set 30 years ago - and raise $50,000 for a children's charity.

"I'm not afraid of them, but it's just that I'm not overly keen on them," the 67-year-old told the Australian Broadcasting Company.

Le Souef originally planned to do the stunt with snakes but was not allowed.

According to Australian media reports, the number of creatures has dwindled a bit after some began to turn on each other - a sign things may get more difficult for him, some say.

Le Souef says the incident doesn't worry him and he isn't afraid of being surrounded by the dangerous blackhouse, redback and huntsmen spiders.

"Redbacks are very calm," he said. " Once they make their webs and their sort of little nests, they don't move around," he said.

1. spidebite

HOLY ARACHNID ... GOD IS ON FACEBOOK!

November 15, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  2. NK

Wow – its amazing that so many of you feel the need to comment so negatively. Who cares about religion, politics etc.... at the end of the day this guy is doing something remotely stupid in aid of raising money for others – that should be commendable. It is so Aussie! You need to be an Aussie to understand it I suppose (I am!) How many of you have done something worthwhile in aid of charity? Spiders are shocking – Red Backs are just awful – I doubt any of you would want to be bitten by one – they are deadly! Huntsmans are of course non-venomous but can give you an awful scare and bite! And for those trying to describe the Sydney funnel web (at least spell it correctly) yes that is quite deadly too! I can tell you and for most Aussies – we wouldn't be caught dead in that box! The guy is crazy – I give him a week or 2 to be honest – but good on him for giving it a go!

November 15, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Talan7

I read this article about the spiders but was disturbed to see the comments section make a story about spiders an issue about gays, then God. Since you guys went there I'll explain. To all you idiots who think that God made everything so everything's ok you are just plain wrong. God didn't create evil and God didn't create man to be evil but he did create us with free will.

Chris,
    God didn't make us with evil in us. Man fell! When man fell the world fell also. The Bible repeatedly says the world has fallen to the devil. Sin is in man so all kinds of evil comes out. Yes a man could be born with gay tendencies, so what! God didn't make him that way, the inherent sin inside of him made him that way, just as some people are born liars.

November 15, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • brotherboy

I get the feeling that the 'Bible' is actually the world's oldest comic book. WHAM! SPLAT! BANG!

November 15, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Bill Dance (master Baitsman)

@Chris..God doesnt hate the act? it clearly states in the bible that he does

November 15, 2010 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mary

What the h*** does this story have to do with being gay ~!!
    Good grief~!!

November 15, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Josh Winters

I will jump on the "you have it wrong" bandwagon. God does not care one way or the other what you do. Do you really think, a being that could create an entire multiverse with but a thought, would allow something to happen if it did not want it to? Take your noses out of your 2000+ year old books, and really think for yourself, just for a minute. If god is the alpha and omega, the start and the end (as if there was such a thing in a circle, but arguments sake) what do you think god had to create with in the beginning?

If you guessed "god", you are correct! And if all things are made from god, what does that make you? More importantly, what does that say about your actions and choices?

November 15, 2010 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gay Spider

The answer to your above question: “What dose that make you” – According to everyone on this page “it makes you gay”!

November 16, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  7. shelbydawkins

hope I look that good when I'm 67....

November 15, 2010 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Les

There is no GOD... Wake up and take you head out of the sand.

November 15, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Ever think about something you should not say?

?????????????????????????????? do we really have to bring god into this conversation?!!!!!???????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean really!!!!!!!?????????????????????????????????????????????????????? Note: I am NOT a christian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 15, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Ever think about something you should not say?

I agree with Les!

November 15, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gay Spider

"Les is more"

November 16, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Thomas

You can always count on religious freaks to turn something incredible about a man living with hundreds of poisonous spiders for charity into something about god.

November 15, 2010 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  12. funkeydank!!

stuuuupiiiiiiiiiid

November 15, 2010 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  13. spidebite

"Le Souef originally planned to do the stunt with snakes but was not allowed."

Not allowed by who? Yea, that's right ... The Vatican (southern hemisphere branch).

November 15, 2010 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • snakebite

That better not be in reference to serpent handling

November 15, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Vatican

Sorry, not us. Far too busy right now with the New Exorcism Guidelines:

November 15, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  14. NickB5

More power to him but I'm glad that it's not me in there. I would freak out and there would be like 400 very squished spiders and I would still leave out of fear that I might have only squished 399 spiders by mistake. 🙂

November 15, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • spidersaregay

lmao that sounds like something i would do.

November 15, 2010 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jamstand

"redbacks and bird-eating spiders, black house spiders and the common huntsman, plus a few of the white-tailed variety"...............No Thank you! This guy has done somthing simililar with snakes as well. Anything for a good cause I guess just glad its not me.

November 15, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |