November 15th, 2010

Man living in shop window with 400 deadly spiders

Nick Le Souef is living with dangerous spiders for three weeks for charity.

Forget bedbugs in New York, imagine dealing with deadly spiders - 400 of them everywhere.

Now, picture waking up each day surrounded by them for three weeks while living in the confines of a storefront window.

It may sound like something only a crazy person would do - but it's actually all a part of Nick Le Souef's plan to help a charity.

The Melbourne man, who by the way told reporters he doesn't "like spiders all that much," is being dubbed Australia's very own Spiderman for his attempt to break a record he set 30 years ago - and raise $50,000 for a children's charity.

"I'm not afraid of them, but it's just that I'm not overly keen on them," the 67-year-old told the Australian Broadcasting Company.

Le Souef originally planned to do the stunt with snakes but was not allowed.

According to Australian media reports, the number of creatures has dwindled a bit after some began to turn on each other - a sign things may get more difficult for him, some say.

Le Souef says the incident doesn't worry him and he isn't afraid of being surrounded by the dangerous blackhouse, redback and huntsmen spiders.

"Redbacks are very calm," he said. " Once they make their webs and their sort of little nests, they don't move around," he said.

1. God

Please folks, get a life.

November 15, 2010 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  2. crystaline

Spiders keep insects at bay.
    Beautiful things can be as scary as ugly things if you look close enough.
    God is food. Devil is the act of obtaining it.
    God says how.
    Devil says what.
    God says where.
    Stupid asks why ...

November 15, 2010 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  3. BORIS THE SPIDER

WHO is responsible for this atrocious discussion?

November 15, 2010 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  4. John Belushi

"Over'? Did you say 'over'? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when spiders bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell, no!”

Sorry everyone....I ate these mushrooms a little while ago, thought I turned into John Belushi...and actually thought this was funny for a minute. It won't happen again.

November 15, 2010 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  5. GOD HIMSELF

Godammit people this is not a religious discussion page, stay on topic or I'll toss a couple mile-wide meteors at your city.....and trust me, I can hit you from here because I have really good aim.
    And I will spare the spiders, they have done nothing wrong.

November 15, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Anonymos

@GOD HIMSELF
    I agree

November 15, 2010 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  7. max

do you people hear yourselves, is the micky mouse club over on tv and you have nothing to do, your all idiots

November 15, 2010 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gay Spider

Thanks Max, up to this point none of us knew we were idiots.......

November 16, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Suzie

All y'all are debating about poisonous vs not poisonous. I don't give a rats A$$ about whats deadly or not.. The mans in a box with spiders!! I'd poop my pants and pass out if I was in that box!

November 15, 2010 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  9. hfjkhsd

god is a tard

November 15, 2010 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Paul

I could do that no problem, its venomous, not poisonous, also I hope they've got some crickets and other live feed for them, and the spiders will probably go after each other first anyways, since they're pretty territorial.

November 15, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  11. whatever

oops i just killed God, but dont blame me god made me do it

November 15, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  12. tyler

right when i started reading this a spider went running from under my monitor, no joke scared me half to death! ironic or is someone trying to tell me something??

November 15, 2010 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Maura

What a sorry bunch of folks you all are.

November 15, 2010 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gay Spider

Your now one of us, Welcome!

November 16, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Larry

Funny, if you go to Wikipedia, two of those three spiders are clearly not deadly to humans and the third is barely dangerous... only 20% of people bitten even need any kind of treatment and serious issues are extremely rare.

November 15, 2010 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  15. The 2010 BlogOscar for funniest retort goes to ...

Scott for this gem that should have come with a "liquids warning" to prevent the accidental baptism of electronics from readers trying to sip a frosty beverage while absorbing the (often) pointless banter over soft new articles/and or blogs with this timeless classic (comment and response included here) ... Thank you Scott and hopefully you will be generous to those who quote you without credit !
    GodWhacker

My invisible man in the sky can bet up your invisible man in the sky!!!!

November 15, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply

Scott

But his invisible man has a book cobbled together by 3rd century churchmen while being presided over by a pagan emperor to back him up. Do you? See you didn't think about that did ya.

November 15, 2010 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |