November 15th, 2010

Man living in shop window with 400 deadly spiders

Nick Le Souef is living with dangerous spiders for three weeks for charity.

Forget bedbugs in New York, imagine dealing with deadly spiders - 400 of them everywhere.

Now, picture waking up each day surrounded by them for three weeks while living in the confines of a storefront window.

It may sound like something only a crazy person would do - but it's actually all a part of Nick Le Souef's plan to help a charity.

The Melbourne man, who by the way told reporters he doesn't "like spiders all that much," is being dubbed Australia's very own Spiderman for his attempt to break a record he set 30 years ago - and raise $50,000 for a children's charity.

"I'm not afraid of them, but it's just that I'm not overly keen on them," the 67-year-old told the Australian Broadcasting Company.

Le Souef originally planned to do the stunt with snakes but was not allowed.

According to Australian media reports, the number of creatures has dwindled a bit after some began to turn on each other - a sign things may get more difficult for him, some say.

Le Souef says the incident doesn't worry him and he isn't afraid of being surrounded by the dangerous blackhouse, redback and huntsmen spiders.

"Redbacks are very calm," he said. " Once they make their webs and their sort of little nests, they don't move around," he said.

1. Jackie

@Christian Don't you guys believe in a tall old dude with a beard who made Earth just because he got bored? Jeez lay off. Go pray to some dead dude who may not even have existed.

November 15, 2010 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  2. 517blingdongding

See. God wants you to love one another and his creation. God wants you to find his glory. Amen.

November 15, 2010 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jesus Christ

@GOD HIMSELF

Jesus H Christ Dad, you're embarrassing me in front of my friends...no one is gonna be hurling meteors around here so go take a chill pill and stop tryin' to throw your weight around just because you're God....jeeeez.

November 15, 2010 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • GOD HIMSELF

Yes my Son. I must set a better example. I promise I won't hurl any meteors....at least until 12/21/12.

November 15, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary Magdalene

The two of you need to stop your bickering...and hey God, you got that money you owe me yet?

November 15, 2010 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  4. BoDiddly

spiders suck and god isn't real.

November 15, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  5. GOD HIMSELF

CNN, HOW DARETH YOU REMOVETH ALL MY POSTS! NOW YOU WILL FACE THE WRATH OF ME!!

C'mon, I was just havin' a little fun.

November 15, 2010 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Froggy

As an Aussie: the only spider in there can really do you some damage i.e. death is the female redback. But it's for charity so good on him..

November 15, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Gibson

What about gay snakes?

November 15, 2010 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  8. @Timmy

I'm a gay spider.

November 15, 2010 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  9. RW

Well there are only four kinds of spiders I absolutely hate – big ones, small ones, live ones and dead ones. As long as those four aren't in the window I could do it.

November 15, 2010 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  10. sssimon

Worst thing would be them crawling in your ears of mouth or up your nose or crushing them in your sleep and waking up to the mess.

November 15, 2010 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  11. nutterbutternutter

Seriously... even if the spiders are not from the jungles of Vietnam...(umm troll much?) and even if the bite of one of these spiders does not necessarily mean instant death, there are 400 of them in his living space. What would the likely outcome be if he were to suffer from the multiple bites of several types of spider ? I can't imagine that being fun. In any case most Australians are fully aware that the Huntsman is not dangerous but they are big hairy and jump! However, he got your attention and he will hopefully be able to raise a lot of money for his cause.

November 15, 2010 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Smith

Huntsman bite! And it's painful and makes you ill....but, yeah, won't kill you !

November 16, 2010 at 7:09 am | Report abuse |
  12. Spiderman

Oh Lord!! Hope he does not crush my brothers while sleeping.

November 15, 2010 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Exterminator

Well, he did say their numbers were dropping. He did not say all of the deaths were from other spiders. LOL

November 16, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • batman

me too

November 17, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  13. ...the point

I am pretty sure the overall point here was that he is doing something out of the ordinary, something that most wouldn't in order to raise money for a children's charity. It isn't about ARE they poisonous, lethal or venomous...can you imagine the feeling of spending three weeks surrounded by eight-legged creepy crawlies...I couldn't help but wonder how in the world is he going to keep them out of his nose, ears, and mouth when he sleeps? Then it brought back a nursery rhyme "the worms crawl out, the worms crawl in..." However, for Nick Le Souef the worms have been replaced by spiders!!

November 16, 2010 at 12:51 am | Report abuse |
  14. Cage

tinyurl.com/swifftz

November 16, 2010 at 2:50 am | Report abuse |
  15. Deno

Every person is mad but degree of madness matters.I think his degree is a little bit high.

November 16, 2010 at 4:29 am | Report abuse |