November 15th, 2010

Tech's big day: The battle to see who will change your Web

Facebook is expected to introduce an e-mail service that some are calling a "Gmail-killer."

It's a big day in the tech world and, depending on which company you favor, they are about to change the way you work and live online.

At least, that's the hope.

Several companies will be announcing or unveiling major products Monday that they hope will revolutionize the Web - again. To help you keep them straight, our tech gang will be breaking down each of the announcements and what they mean.

First up, Facebook. Mark Zuckerberg's company is expected to make a big move today against rival Google by announcing its own e-mail service. So, if you're one of the 500 million active Facebook users, your online activity may become even more streamlined. Depending on the depth of the service, it could mean that your chats, posts, photos and e-mail will all come from the same window - or app. It's been dubbed a possible "Gmail killer," a tough name to live up to, but if it can pull it off it may solidify Facebook's spot atop the tech mountain.

Time.com: Facebook e-mail? Escalating the war with Google

Facebook's announcement comes on the heels of AOL's announcement regarding Project Phoenix - a revamping of its own fading e-mail service. That's right, all of you who only use your AIM screen name, the company is looking to court you back to that old @aol.com e-mail address you had in 199-something. After all, they were once known for declaring, "You've Got Mail."

Time.com's TechLand: AOL's Project Phoenix: E-mail is innovative again

In a time of old battles new, our tech folks will be taking a look at what your e-mail address says about you. They're looking at Gmail, Hotmail and MSN users. Check out CNN.com/Tech this afternoon to find out what your handle means about your personality.

And if that doesn't fill your tech geek quota for the day, The Web 2.0 Summit kicks off Monday in San Francisco, California, and some big names will be chiming in. Google's Eric Schmidt will speak Monday and Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg on Tuesday. We'll make sure to keep you updated with any big news, announcement or insights from the summit.

If you're sick of the "regulars" in social media and the Web - there's something new for you, too. That is, if you're not looking to be the most popular kid with the most friends on the site. We're going to be introducing you to Path, the new "personal network," which at the time of this post is apparently already so popular the site's servers are over capacity. Here's what you need to know: You can share your path with only 50 people. It's essentially a hybrid of a photo-sharing site and a messaging service - without all of the world knowing what you're up to. As our pals at Mashable say, if Facebook is the social network, Path "is the anti-social network."

Finally, to cure you from the overload of tech news, we're serving up a smartphone side dish, literally off the grill. If you haven't seen it yet, check out the video that's gone viral showing the "testing" of smartphones by cooking them on a grill.

Post by:
Filed under: Facebook • Google • Technology
  1. DomainsPriceWorldRecord.com

the FBmail can become the #1 threat for Google, since, in a few months, FBmail could reach the same number of accounts of GMail

November 15, 2010 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
    • J

Not happening. Google understands storage, search, and sort to a level that facebook can't.

Besides, Zuckerberg and his crew are notorious for violating user privacy. Why would anyone want to pass sensitive communications through their service?

November 15, 2010 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Laura

Agree with J. I don't trust them not to do spectacularly public things with my email address and email content. Those guys are tracking way too much.

November 15, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Lynn

Not for me. Recently Facebook messed with my account and I lost everything. Then they sent me a message "Welcome back to Facebook", whick meant I had to start all over entering my info. They are far from ready to handle more technology, too many bells and whistles already.

November 15, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  3. Ben

Why would anyone want an @facebook.com email? Sending emails from a social networking site is incredibly unprofessional. No one would take my messages seriously.

November 15, 2010 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  4. Erin

Mark Zuckerberg owns your soul.

November 15, 2010 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  5. russ

Doubt it. Gmail is always on the forfront of innovation, which is why people like gmail.

November 15, 2010 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  6. Ken M. Haggerty

I am excited by the possibilities of Facebook mail. Email as it currently stands is an awful medium for communication and could certainly use some updating from the 1990s. Video, multimedia, and social integration are desperately needed, along with multiplatform compatibility and management. It would be nice to tie your mail together with calendar and organizations and to be able to see if the person I'm emailing replies quickly or procrastinates so that I can annoy them accordingly 🙂

November 15, 2010 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Jerz

you do realize google already puts everything in one place?

November 15, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Laura

No way do I want a facebook email. I don't trust these guys not to link my email to everything I sign in to with it, and then post it on my facebook. Then tell me AFTER they've done it. Seriously do not trust facebook with any of my info and certainly none of my private conversations via email!

November 15, 2010 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  8. cesar

J is on target. Zuckerberg doesn't have YOUR privacy as a priority. How do you raise the IQ of Iran?....allow Jews in. (Disclaimer: There some smart Iranians in Iran.)

November 15, 2010 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  9. Tim Doogan

That's it! I'm going back to Compuserve and my 14.4 dial-up modem, Netscape and Windows 3.1, dot-matrix printer and stacks of floppy disks. 🙂

November 15, 2010 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  10. ODA155

All I have to say to those of you that partake in this "offering"... READ THE EULA! I would also suggest going back and reading the Facebook ELUA and Privacy statements... aww, who the heck am I kidding, nobody is going to do that, everybody wants to be the first with an im_a_dope@facebook.com email address.

November 15, 2010 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  11. Where is my army nurse

cesar, you make me laugh. I like Facebook but its more of a toy. I'll leave my email where it is.

November 15, 2010 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  12. snowbird

We use facebook, primarily to stay in touch with family. Would I use email through them, no.....I use messaging through FB for family/friends, but our email account is for everything else!

November 15, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  13. Sunder

Will watch how FBMail will work. If not a treat for gmail , will at least get some ideas around. There are still lot of places where traditional email falls behind gmail included so needs to see how innovative FBMail will be...

November 15, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  14. Vaughan Wynne-Jones

Yeah not for me thanks. gmail has everything I need and more, with a lot of experience at it too. If facebook mail shows stability and benefit in a few years then maybe I'll switch. For now, I'm more than happy with gmail.

November 15, 2010 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  15. liz

There is no way I would ever have an email account through facebook. I would be embarrassed to give it out because facebook is not a serious thing. It is a toy and it will not last beyond a few years when people become increasingly sick of its invasive platform. Gmail has struck the right balance for me of being reliable, innovative, and easy to use so that's where my loyalty will be.

November 15, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • JY

"Facebook is a toy"

Tell that to the now multi-billion dollar social networking industry, all the companies that have FB pages to interact with their customers, and the jobs it has created for customer service representatives the world over. Not too mention that to understand, develop, and use Facebook is an actual skill set now worth of getting a job......

On that note I agree with your on gmail. But you language to describe facebook shows a serious lack of understanding of the current industry.

November 15, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |