November 15th, 2010

Tech's big day: The battle to see who will change your Web

Facebook is expected to introduce an e-mail service that some are calling a "Gmail-killer."

It's a big day in the tech world and, depending on which company you favor, they are about to change the way you work and live online.

At least, that's the hope.

Several companies will be announcing or unveiling major products Monday that they hope will revolutionize the Web - again. To help you keep them straight, our tech gang will be breaking down each of the announcements and what they mean.

First up, Facebook. Mark Zuckerberg's company is expected to make a big move today against rival Google by announcing its own e-mail service. So, if you're one of the 500 million active Facebook users, your online activity may become even more streamlined. Depending on the depth of the service, it could mean that your chats, posts, photos and e-mail will all come from the same window - or app. It's been dubbed a possible "Gmail killer," a tough name to live up to, but if it can pull it off it may solidify Facebook's spot atop the tech mountain.

Time.com: Facebook e-mail? Escalating the war with Google

Facebook's announcement comes on the heels of AOL's announcement regarding Project Phoenix - a revamping of its own fading e-mail service. That's right, all of you who only use your AIM screen name, the company is looking to court you back to that old @aol.com e-mail address you had in 199-something. After all, they were once known for declaring, "You've Got Mail."

Time.com's TechLand: AOL's Project Phoenix: E-mail is innovative again

In a time of old battles new, our tech folks will be taking a look at what your e-mail address says about you. They're looking at Gmail, Hotmail and MSN users. Check out CNN.com/Tech this afternoon to find out what your handle means about your personality.

And if that doesn't fill your tech geek quota for the day, The Web 2.0 Summit kicks off Monday in San Francisco, California, and some big names will be chiming in. Google's Eric Schmidt will speak Monday and Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg on Tuesday. We'll make sure to keep you updated with any big news, announcement or insights from the summit.

If you're sick of the "regulars" in social media and the Web - there's something new for you, too. That is, if you're not looking to be the most popular kid with the most friends on the site. We're going to be introducing you to Path, the new "personal network," which at the time of this post is apparently already so popular the site's servers are over capacity. Here's what you need to know: You can share your path with only 50 people. It's essentially a hybrid of a photo-sharing site and a messaging service - without all of the world knowing what you're up to. As our pals at Mashable say, if Facebook is the social network, Path "is the anti-social network."

Finally, to cure you from the overload of tech news, we're serving up a smartphone side dish, literally off the grill. If you haven't seen it yet, check out the video that's gone viral showing the "testing" of smartphones by cooking them on a grill.

Post by:
Filed under: Facebook • Google • Technology
  1. Joe Clark

Get high !

November 15, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. kat

YEAH! I'm one of the Facebook users. Facebook is getting even more convinent! I love it!(: Soon, I won't just have to have email and facebook up in two different windows. I use Facebook and Gmail. This is awesome! THANKS FACEBOOK!((:

November 15, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  3. David

I think FB are trying to play witth the big boys now and they will soon realize that what is acceptable on a 'fun', 'social' site is not acceptable with email where you often send/recieve passwords, account details etc. Would you let FB see your communications wiht your bank or Attorney? Of course, any invasion of your privacy would simply be a misunderstanding and if only you had selected the 28 privacy options you would have been OK...

November 15, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  4. richard miller

I had a facebook account. I got out of it because of security issues and I did not care for their tracking my actions while on the net. Screw 'em, I'll keep my old e-mail account.

November 15, 2010 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  5. wendy

No, because it'll be easily accessed by hackers

November 15, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  6. ms

not sure if I would want a Facebook email.

With my Gmail account, I can send e-mails to personal/non-personal individuals.

If I do it from my Facebook account, which I only use for my friends & family, it's gonna seem awkward to send it to non-personal e-mails.

Example: @facebook.com will lookawkwards on my resume

November 15, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  7. David

I wonder how many companies would look at my resume on monster.com, see my email Facebook account, and just move on to the next condidate?

November 15, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Alex

talk to me when facebook find a cure for cancer

November 15, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Will

Yeah, I'll trust these dbags with my personal email.

November 15, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Lesley

I'll keep my email account at Yahoo, but I will open one with Facebook to see how well it works. I use Yahoo as it has a sort feature. As long as Gmail won't implement a sort feature, I won't use a Gmail account.

November 15, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Dave

Gee. Email from facebook. Somebody pinch me, this must be a dream. The nightmare is over. We have facebook email.

November 15, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  12. James

If history teaches us anything, facebook will set the default setting to "share e-mail with everyone" until you find the opt-out setting tucked away somewhere in the privacy settings.

November 15, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  13. justme

AW, HELLLLL NO!!! EFF FACEBOOK...BUNCH OF FIFTH GRADERS TALKING ABOUT EVERY THOUGHT THAT GOES THROUGH THEIR HEAD.....SO STUPID AND JUVENILE, TO HELL WITH THEIR EMAIL SERVICE!!!! FIFTH GRADE IMMATURE BRATS!!!

November 15, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jess

FaceBook is just trying to be a better, more valuable target for acquisition. THIS IS ABOUT POSITIONING THE COMPANY FOR SALE.

November 15, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • JY

This company's power is not something that can be sold. If they were going to sell it they would have done so already. The amount of influence and leverage they have over the citizens of the world, governments and corporations is staggering. It's influence is worth far more then any dollar sign.

November 15, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jon

Oh no! NOT me... Facebook e-mails CAN be and WILL be accessed by thieving hackers!!!!! I have found 3 imposters on my list already!!

November 15, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |