November 15th, 2010

TSA fights opt-out campaign, looks at new security 'options'

Passengers and pilots have already expressed discomfort with TSA’s revealing full-body scanners and too-close-for-comfort pat downs. Now, at least one is doing so publicly.

Over the weekend, a 31-year-old man refused a pat down at a San Diego airport. After threatening a TSA agent, he left the airport with a $10,000 fine. The cell phone video where he tells a TSA agent, don't "touch my junk," has gone viral.

Homeland Security Chief Janet Napolitano is speaking out, too. She wrote a USA Today column defending pat downs and scanners and asking passengers for their patience.

TSA Administrator John Pistole, who meets with Napolitano Monday, told American Morning's John Roberts how TSA is changing its tone with passengers.

Pistole responds to passengers planning a "National Opt-Out Day" in protest of the scanners and Capt. Sully Sullenberger's recent comments that he didn't understand the purpose of screening pilots.

1. sgt. slaughter

We are not going top win the war.... By giving up our rights....

We will WIN BY MAKING THE TERRORISTS GIVE UP THEIR RIGHTS....

November 15, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. osama bin diesel

Just show up at the airport naked

November 15, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  3. ba ny

Now if everyguy had an erection when getting pat down how many tsa employees would walk out too loll

November 15, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  4. sgt. slaughter

Wanted....male christian TSA agent to strip search and feel up muslim women boarding aircraft

November 15, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  5. sgt. slaughter

Also 1,000 openings for ..... Christian women to strip search and feel up, muslim men boarding aircraft...

November 15, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  6. sgt. slaughter

Immediate openings

November 15, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  7. sgt. slaughter

WANTED....

Immediate openings

November 15, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. sgt. slaughter

Must be able to tell the difference between real and fake genitailia

November 15, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  9. sgt. slaughter

It looks like there's going to be a shortage of ink toner cartridges.... Better stock up now!!

November 15, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Carmen

Big Cry Babies!!!!! Lets just refuse to fly so the airline employees can get laid-off! and lets opt out so we all miss our flights!!...better yet let all those TSA officers take a week off and see how many flights get where they are going without blowing up or landing into tall buildings in heavy populated cities!!!....Are people really ignorant enough to believe TSA officers wanna touch most of the people the have to? Hell no some people stink, are just disgusting and others are just intolerable to even look at!!!!!...I think we have too many people reading into this and looking for yet something else to complain about!! OPT out day is a joke too! use some math and tell me if 30 people opt-out in front of you, how long will you be waiting to get on your flight or should I say miss your flight....Regardless TSA is gonna do what they have to they get paid for it and don't have any flight to catch so ask them if they care! and chances are they don't!

November 15, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Michelle

The question is, where is the line drawn in the sand? If someone is ready to risk their life to hijack an aircraft, wouldn't they go so far as to hide a box cutter, or explosive, or knives up where the sun doesn't shine? Drug mules do it all the time. It's amazing what you can fit up there! So you'd assume that the next time a guy is caught with a box cutter up his butt, we'll all be subjected to cavity searches when flying thru the USA. All in the name of supposed aviation safety. I live in Canada, and let me tell you that when I'm flying to Europe or Mexico, or wherever, I do everything in my power to avoid connecting through the US. It's a nightmare.

November 15, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • GemmaT

Not to mention how rude our employees are.

November 16, 2010 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  12. silly

Just stop flying like I did...This is an invasion of privicy. and should be against the law. It is not Americans that are bombing or hi-jacking planes...think about that TSA. I agree with the no fly boycott.

November 15, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Franklin

This report is seriously inaccurate in its implications regarding the man who refused the pat down! HE was threatened with a fine – but he didn't receive a fine. He didn't "threaten" an agent with bodily harm as implied – he threatened to call the police if his genitals were touched. He handled all of this in a fairly calm and mature fashion as the VIDEO/AUDIO he took clearly demonstrates. Please re-write this crapola account.

November 15, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • nate

Yes, "don't touch my junk or i'll have you arrested" is incredibly mature. This guy was just looking to get popular, which he achieved. But I think he is an idiot trying to prove a mute point. He will die with as much wisdom as he was born with.

November 21, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Carmen

Yes, like some may say Americans are not the ones Bombing planes, but they ain't they only ones boarding them either!!!...I value my life and the ones of my children...Search away, I have very high self esteem and I ain't gonna join a fight against a country that is trying to ensure my safety!!!

November 15, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Concerned Dad

I have a four year old girl and I will not subject her to this. She can be irradiated and seen naked, or consensually molested in the name of terror since we can't profile extremists. If someone had a picture of a naked child or
      Molested a child they go to jail and I am expected to make an exception for political correctness? I am done and hope other parents stop vacationing too.

November 16, 2010 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  15. sgt. slaughter

The governments way of subverting any opposition to its will......$10,000 fine or Jail....

Isn't that what all subversive governments do to opposition???

Oh, and now that drug mules can't get into the country so easy..... We can vote on, Medical use and grow ur own... I just love it..

November 15, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |