November 16th, 2010

A royal obsession: Prince William and Kate Middleton

Prince William and Kate Middleton are engaged to be married.

Talk about a royal obsession.

Call it another British invasion, or whatever you'd like, but it's clear that in the U.S. we just can't get enough of the Brits. And with the announcement that Prince William will wed his longtime girlfriend, Kate Middleton, America once again is gawking and perhaps even stalking everything that says "Royal Wedding."

The news has dominated the Twittersphere and Web - with four of the top trends belonging to the newly engaged couple. It almost makes you wonder why we ever split with the Brits.

Whether it's the Beatles (and the announcement that the Fab Four's music will finally be on iTunes,) other pop icons (Leona Lewis, Duffy and Amy Winehouse) or the wedding announcement - Americans are still trying to gobble up every detail about our friends across the pond. We did it with Prince Charles and Princess Diana, and it seems we will again with this wedding and future marriage.

Readers are looking for every detail about Middleton, known as the middle-class princess, and what married life might be like for her and William, the second in line to the British throne and an action hero.

The two are on the front pages and part of full coverage sections of US Weekly, People, the National Enquirer and a slew of other American tabloids. We’ve watched with bated breath their every move and photograph, and it's gone into overdrive with news of their engagement. And that includes the field of betting. Paddy Power has put out an array of things for people to wager on, including when the couple will marry, where the wedding will take place and even what color Queen Elizabeth's hat will be or how long Middleton's train will be.

News of the impending wedding bells spread like wildfire online, and no doubt British sites have been swamped with traffic from American readers.

More than three British papers or tabloids and the BBC are live-blogging the announcements, with up-to-the-minute reaction, columns and reader comments. Six of the BBC's top stories Tuesday are in some way about the William and his future bride. The Daily Telegraph is asking readers to offer their own tributes to the couple.

Of course, it's become a media circus, with headlines from the Mirror such as "Heir comes the bride” and “Wills you Marry Me?” and The Daily Mail's "Get out the bunting! Wills pops the question at last.”

Considering you all can't seem to help yourself - we figured we'd help you navigate the royal media madness by picking out the best, the hilarious and the most bizarre stories.

Interesting tidbits

"Kate will be 'oldest Royal bride' " - The Daily Telegraph

"The Royal romance that captivated a nation: How Wills and Kate kept us guessing for eight long years" - The Daily Mail

"Kate to become sixth Queen Catherine" - The Daily Telegraph

"Prince hopes to emulate Queen's solid marriage" - The Daily Telegraph

"Kate Middleton must have clear role says Princess Diana's former aide" - The Mirror

A look at Kate

"How does Kate compare to Princess Diana - The Daily Telegraph

"Is this the new People's Princess? How confident Kate Middleton compares to 'Shy Di' " - The Daily Mail

"Fashion: Kate is 'conservative style icon' " - The Daily Telegraph

"Kate Middleton will inherit a host of titles" - The Mirror

The strangest story angles

"Trying to guess the guest list" - The Mirror

"My menu for William and Kate's wedding – it has to be Windsor swan" - The Daily Telegraph

"William and Kate: an unambitious, stable Sloane makes for perfect wife material" - The Daily Telegraph

Skiing brought William and Kate together - PlanetSKI

1. CaptainObvious

I'm actually not that obsessed with it. This story belongs next to Bat Boy in your local grocery check out aisle.

November 16, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • v

We don't need royalty. Make em clean toilets.

November 16, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kisuule Magala

Depending on the intrest by the American media. Us need a one figure that can Unite them all for once.
      Let us get a King here.

November 16, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • KDJ

We fought a revolution to be free from the royals

November 16, 2010 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Charles D. Bruce

To be more specific... *female* Americans are obsessed with royalty. I believe American men are generally anti-royalty. It really is ridiculous that any American can be pro-royalty. Wasn't America was founded on the premise of electing their leaders by democratic process? – not by being born into leadership? I personally find the British Royalty reprehensible in our modern times.

November 16, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bonnie Akridge

Congrats to William and Kate ! It's about time. I hope the Royal family treats her better than they did his wonderful mother. I'm so happy he gave Kate Dianas ring. What a wonderful gesture and she will make a beautiful bride.

November 16, 2010 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • VANGUARD

William forget it you ll never be king
      the Monarchy is to be Abolished
      so Dream on WILLIE Boy

November 19, 2010 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Brianc

Who cares??

November 16, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • kikaboom

right, who cares?
      I cannot understand why people are so obsessed withe the royal family.
      The only thing that i don't like about England is that they still have the king and the queen.
      Laughable

December 13, 2010 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  3. kluxmo

all the best, hope it works out for them.

November 16, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Eric Onassis

She should never, never be compared to the best princess that ever lived. A real lady, virgen too ! This looks like a gold digger. William on which window are you going to show the sheets ? Hahaha.

November 16, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  5. natalie

I don't know one person who's the least bit interested in these people.

November 16, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  6. tomk

Seriously, why do we care who royaty is anymore? Didn't we fight a war with these people becuase they thought they were better than us. Why does CNN make a big deal that they continue to add no value to the world other than to pad their own bank accounts?

November 16, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Freddie Shuffrey

What a silly comment! Where is your evidence of the Royals "padding their bank accounts"? They cost each British taxpayer about 65p a year. Princes William and Harry have both trained and served in the UK military, with Prince Harry serving in Afghanistan. Prince William taught illiterate Chilean school children for a year, was a volunteer in the Boxing Day Tsunami relief effort and does charity work in Africa, all the while serving fullt time in the Air Force and doing princely duties. Prince Charles is involved in environmental and social development charity work, as well as diplomatic and princely duties. He is currently working in America, advising the Mayor of Atlanta in how to revive economically depressed areas as part of a foundation he set up of his own volition. And I'd like you to name me an 84 year old who works as hard as the Queen does, travelling both nationally and internationally, hosting constantly along with her royal and military duties

November 16, 2010 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  7. jlm

Obviously all of you care or you wouldn't have clicked on this story and read it.

November 16, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Andrea

Exactly, Jim!!

November 16, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jason

Yup!

November 16, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Natasha

I do not really care either but it's fun to read about it. Royalties are more like celebrities these days.

November 16, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  9. CaptainObvious

@JIM: I wanted to beat out anyone who's going to gush over this story. When looking for MORE IMPORTANT stories in the blog I saw this headline, so thanks for pointing out the obvious. Personally I share nothing in common with those who read these. I'm just a poor college boy who cares more about getting my life in order than caring about two people I share nothing in common with. I don't get how others care either.

November 16, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  10. mejazzbo

What royal obsession? Big, flashy, expensive wedding during a worldwide economic crisis, probably paid for by the people of the UK. I don't think I would be happy about that if I were a British Subject.

November 16, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Dani

Well, I do care about them and find them interesting. I wish them the best. If I'm alive next year, close to a television, and the wedding is televised, I will be watching it.

November 16, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Dixie Wong

I just saw the engagment notice on CNN online. Although there has been much media speculation about an impending engagement, I still had tears in my eyes when I read the CNN announcement.
    My fondest wish for them is that they will continue to love each other, and stay married to each other until "death do us part, "

November 16, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  13. yesenia

Seriously who cares? This is not news that needs to be repeated every 15 minutes on CNN. Find something else to report on that Americans care about. Sure it's wonderful that two people love each other but they aren't our Prince and Princess.

November 16, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Clete

I agree with you. The English royal family is about as interesting as watching grass grow. Best of luck to them, but it means next to nothing to me.

November 16, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Kathy

I am disturbed that he gave her Diana's ring. I think that ring should only belong to Di. And it should have been buried with her.

I wish he would have gone to a jeweler and created a new ring just for Kate to start all over. Something maybe with an emerald or a ruby.

I am sure Wills holds this ring with great respect but I honestly think it should only have been for Diana.

November 16, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bonnie Akridge

I disaree. We Americans do the same thing here. We use our grandparents and even great grandparents rings to pass on down to be used exactly like William did here. Like he said, it's his way of including his mother in this most joyous occasion. I'm glad it's intact and not tore up and redesigned. That would be like tearing up a part of Dianas wonderful legacy.

November 16, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Joe

Wrong woman for the ring. There is a curse on it.

November 16, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • sneakipete

And the curse is the token gift of what was a loveless, sham of a marriage the first time around. WHY would Prince William want to dishonor his bride by giving her a ring that amounts to nothing more than his father's bribe in exchange for permission to carry on an affair with a really ugly woman?! Kate deserves her own ring.

November 16, 2010 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |